Our partner

ADHD symptoms getting stronger

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

ADHD symptoms getting stronger

Postby Semi-Interesting » Thu May 31, 2018 11:05 am

I've recently begun taking Methyphenidate for ADHD which was diagnosed last year. I'd initially found this medication had given me a much calmer mind, and the ability to do things in a more organized way. But over the last week I've experienced extreme anxiety (this has faded a lot now) and stress, which has heavily affected my mood, and I also have bipolar.

I've been focusing a lot on these stressors and while I can still do things in an orderly way. I feel like I'm living in my head a lot, distracted and worrying. Because of this I'm wondering if the Methyphenidate is still having much of an effect. I'm also questioning if the diagnosis I was given is correct, or if my ADHD symptoms are to do with Bipolar, as surely if I have ADHD it should be responding to the meds? I'm on 10mg in the morning and 5mg at lunch.
Can anyone relate, or give any advice?

Thanks
Semi-Interesting
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Sat Mar 06, 2021 5:02 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: ADHD symptoms getting stronger

Postby quietgirl2538 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:06 pm

Hi Semi-Interesting,
I have both bipolar and ADD. I can't diagnose, but at least for me, when my bipolar gets out of whack and I become unstable, my depression emerges, or hypomania or even mania show up. During this time, regardless of any type of medication for bipolar, my mood is unstable. So my own opinion based on how I've felt things is that the bipolar has to be stable and so that means that the depression or hypomania, or mania, are fixed for the other problems to be noticed and taken care of. I used to be severely depressed and ritalin did nothing for me. Now with mood stability, I can feel good and feel the positive effects of the drug. I would strongly encourage you to talk with your pdoc and see what needs to be done to get you to feeling good again. Keep us updated.
“There’s an Asian expression that ‘a burden shared is halved.’"

Bipolar I
ADD (inattentive kind)
*I take loads of meds, but they keep me stable
quietgirl2538
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Mar 06, 2021 12:02 am
Blog: View Blog (124)

Return to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies