Our partner

ADHD coping

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

ADHD coping

Postby Semi-Interesting » Mon May 21, 2018 1:54 pm

Hi
I'm quite new to this section of PsychForums, so hope this type of topic hasn't been posted recently; I don't want to rehash old stuff.
Anyways what coping strategies to those adhd'ers use to cope with daily life tasks and general living?
I've a couple to share which have mostly worked well for me.

1) If I have something really important I need to do. I will put a physical reminder in place eg if I need to buy car tax. I would put the car tax reminder on the stairs in the house, so I don't forget. Or I will leave a handwritten reminder on the kitchen floor, en route to the exit.

I generally find if helpful to keep things important close by where I can see them, or I make sure they are resting against me as reminders. Once I was in an airport waiting to catch a flight to go on holiday, I went to a restaurant/bar for something to eat with my partner and walked away leaving my bag. Luckily it wasn't stolen and I retrieved it ok. So now when I go out to a restaurant I keep the loop of my bag around my knee, So I cant walk away without my bag.

This method doesn't always work so well as recently I left a motorcycle crash helmet in a well known high street newsagents when I went in to buy a comic. I had to put the helmet to the side whilst paying with my card, and walked out the shop without it. By the time I realized 1.5hrs later they'd closed. Luckily my partner was able to drive out and give me an old spare helmet from the garage so I could ride home. This wasn't the first time I'd left my bike helmet behind in a shop

2)If I have to write something eg a report. I will tackle it in sections based on which parts are most simple and easy to write. So I will write an introduction if its easy and straightforward to write, I might then skip to the conclusion(if I have the relevant data to hand), from there I might skip to a different section if I already have some notes written for that part, and eventually most of the report is written. I skip sections when they start to become too complex and stressful.

If I'm writing 3 reports (Which I had to do last week) I skipped about between each of the 3 reports and completed them in this same haphazard way, and I find it works well. I would find it very stressful to just sit down and write a report or essay sequentially. So I use this other method.

Does anyone have any tips they'd like to share?
Semi-Interesting
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:17 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: ADHD coping

Postby Mitmit » Fri May 25, 2018 8:43 am

I have a ton of tricks. How old are u? The older u get the more tricks u know. But all my tricks is about how natural remedies can improve your performance, because adhd is treatable.
Mitmit
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 05, 2021 9:17 pm

Postby Semi-Interesting » Thu May 31, 2018 10:47 am

Hi Mitmit
I'm 46 years old, feel free to share any tips. They would be greatly welcomed
Semi-Interesting
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:17 pm

Postby Mitmit » Sun Jun 10, 2018 5:47 pm

number one is a lot of omega3 fatty acids. thats fish oil. *mod edit*
-- Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:48 pm --

Mitmit wrote:number one is a lot of omega3 fatty acids. thats fish oil. *mod edit*

sorry i havent answered until now
Last edited by quietgirl2538 on Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Reason: Please do not give advice on how much of any vitamins, meds anyone should take. That is a question for the person's physician to answer for each individual.
Mitmit
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby quietgirl2538 » Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:12 pm

Hi Mitmit, I edited your post. You did nothing wrong. It's just my job to make sure other's are adhering to the Forum rules.
“There’s an Asian expression that ‘a burden shared is halved.’"

Bipolar I
ADD (inattentive kind)
*I take loads of meds, but they keep me stable
quietgirl2538
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:17 pm
Blog: View Blog (124)

Postby quietgirl2538 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 12:02 am

I have my calendar where I try to force myself to jot down all information like appointments and phone numbers. I have a steady list that I always have on top of my desk even when I desk is a complete mess. I write almost everything down and scratch things off to make me feel better and show that I am getting "some" things done. I am trying to be more organized with placing paperwork in folders in a filing cabinet instead of just thrown on top of my desk. I don't like opening drawers so things like toothpaste and essentials are always out for me to view and remind me to use. Like deoderant. If I don't put it on right after showering, I will at times walk out of the house without any on. I place notes or paperwork on the refrigerator or on top of my keyboard for me to make sure I see it and remind myself. I cleaned out my nightstand drawers and put only the important and few items there so that I won't get frustrated that I can't find something. I am always losing my phone in the house. I've left it twice some place and was very lucky to get it back. Nowadays it's like a mantra, "place phone inside purse" I do forget and have forgotten where it is at many times, especially at home. I can't think of anymore at this time.

Bipolar I
ADD (inattentive kind)
quietgirl2538
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Mitmit » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:12 pm

quietgirl2538 wrote:I have my calendar where I try to force myself to jot down all information like appointments and phone numbers. I have a steady list that I always have on top of my desk even when I desk is a complete mess. I write almost everything down and scratch things off to make me feel better and show that I am getting "some" things done. I am trying to be more organized with placing paperwork in folders in a filing cabinet instead of just thrown on top of my desk. I don't like opening drawers so things like toothpaste and essentials are always out for me to view and remind me to use. Like deoderant. If I don't put it on right after showering, I will at times walk out of the house without any on. I place notes or paperwork on the refrigerator or on top of my keyboard for me to make sure I see it and remind myself. I cleaned out my nightstand drawers and put only the important and few items there so that I won't get frustrated that I can't find something. I am always losing my phone in the house. I've left it twice some place and was very lucky to get it back. Nowadays it's like a mantra, "place phone inside purse" I do forget and have forgotten where it is at many times, especially at home. I can't think of anymore at this time.

You are treading symptoms. U could try to get cured instead.
Mitmit
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby quietgirl2538 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 1:14 am

I stay focused with the medication and I am working on having things simple and more organized too. I can work with that.

Bipolar I
ADD (inattentive kind)
quietgirl2538
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies