Our partner

Should I find a new psychiatrist?

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Should I find a new psychiatrist?

Postby Dauven » Mon Feb 26, 2018 5:40 pm

Psychiatrist is a woman who looks like Ursula from the Little Mermaid. Constantly tight, pursed expression, seriously overweight, but very well put together, nice hair, clothes. I’m not one to judge based on appearances, but I have some trepidations about taking medical advice from someone who is so clearly out of shape and likely has eating disorders. The other large component of being skeptical of her advice is that she has no pictures of friends and family on her desk at work, and the vibe that I get is “lonely spinstress.” She was 15 minutes late past our scheduled appointment time today.

When I got in, I told her that I was currently off the medication because I’d lost my prescription, said that I had a police report (had to fill one out since it’s a controlled substance) that I needed to bring into the building in order to get a refill but had left it in my car, that I could go grab it within a minute. She cut me off, saying “if you’re not taking the medication then there’s no point. Feel free to make another appointment when you’re ready to take medication.” Not if you’re ready, but when, implying, in my mind, something along the lines of “you’ll see how trying without it will pan out, let me know when you’re ready to come crawling back.”

I reminded her that when I had first met with her, she had told me that she prefers, when possible, to treat ADHD symptoms holistically. I asked her if we could spend the remainder of my session (11:30-12:00) to go over some of these holistic treatments she had mentioned, and what I could implement in my own life. After having been in her office for only 2 minutes (it was 11:45 by the time she entered the waiting room), she said “I really don’t have time for that right now. Please make an appointment when you’re ready to get back on medication.”

So, I think I need another prescriber. Do you think that I’m being oversensitive, and nitpicking unimportant facets of my experience in order to avoid treatment? Or do you think that my concerns are valid, and that I should find another prescriber within the same therapy complex (this wouldn’t be too hard, I’ve had to do it once before with a psychiatrist who insisted on prescribing only antipsychotics despite the fact that my problems lie in ADHD)?
Dauven
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Apr 24, 2018 1:24 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Should I find a new psychiatrist?

Postby Holodeck » Sat Mar 03, 2018 4:14 pm

It's pretty simple. If you don't like your doctor for whatever reason, then go move to another. You should never feel uncomfortable with them. If you do, then they likely aren't right for you.
Holodeck
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:24 pm

Postby realityhere » Sat Mar 10, 2018 4:14 am

Um, I guess that I should add a qualifier here.

Many patients with ADHD tend to resist medication and therapy many times, which is probably why this psychiatrist took a tough line. Never mind that you judged this person on her looks and demeanor, and not on her expertise, without giving her at least another chance to work with you. Yeah, many psychological professionals run late on appointments because of "emergency" diversions in giving time to those who really need their help. You don't know what runs her schedule either, any more than she knows what runs yours.

She sounds like the tough cookie that you really need.
AWAY from mod duties, please contact another moderator.
realityhere

Local time: Tue Apr 24, 2018 11:24 am

Postby Tanoujin » Sat Mar 10, 2018 7:18 am

Interesting! Did she want you to take Methylphenidate (Trade name Ritalin amongst others)? That would make a lot of sense. I think it is a misunderstanding. Her condition to treat you is that you are compliant. That makes sense too. I believe in her opinion it is up to you to be on your meds without any gaps inbetween. She wants you to take up this responsibility. And it looks like you are almost ready for that. I would recommend you give her another try to see what‘s up with her „additional holistic approaches“. Psychatrist hopping is a waste of time if you don‘t try to find out what they have to offer. Have a nice day!
Tanoujin
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Apr 24, 2018 6:24 pm

Return to Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post