Our partner

Asperger vs. sociopathy

Asperger's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Re: Asperger vs. sociopathy

Postby Fallen_Angel73 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:13 pm

shock_the_monkey wrote:if i can't understand something or i don't agree with it, i won't say i do just to be socially accepted. but i have learnt to ask myself 'is this worth fighting over' and 'does it really matter to me' before i dig my heels in. basically, if the ansewer to either of those questions is 'no', i try to remember to just let it go. but that doesn't mean i agree. i just means that it isn't worth my time and effort to disagree.

Yes... The only way to win an argument over something that in practice makes little to no difference to you is by not participating in it. It took me a long time to realize this, and I still forget it sometimes.
Fallen_Angel73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 4215
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 12:55 pm
Local time: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:38 am
Blog: View Blog (2)


ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Asperger vs. sociopathy

Postby katana » Sat Jan 19, 2013 8:40 pm

I'm trying to work out why people would even have trouble getting confused between the two unless all the people with AS they met were also sociopaths (or all the sociopaths they met also had AS).

I'd point out when discussing hitler that sociopathy is not the only PD in existence. I don't know if there are any detailed psychological analyses of hitler but i'd be curious what dxes they'd give him.
katana
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 9013
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:05 pm
Local time: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:38 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: Asperger vs. sociopathy

Postby Fallen_Angel73 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:40 pm

katana wrote:I'd point out when discussing hitler that sociopathy is not the only PD in existence. I don't know if there are any detailed psychological analyses of hitler but i'd be curious what dxes they'd give him.

I'd say he was one of history's most notorious (and extreme) paranoids. (As in "paranoid PD", not "paranoid schizophrenia".) A highly distorted and belligerent conscience can sometimes be more dangerous than none, because with a person with no conscience you can at least bargain.
Last edited by Fallen_Angel73 on Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fallen_Angel73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 4215
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 12:55 pm
Local time: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:38 am
Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: Asperger vs. sociopathy

Postby katana » Sat Jan 19, 2013 9:57 pm

anagram wrote:
katana wrote:I'd point out when discussing hitler that sociopathy is not the only PD in existence. I don't know if there are any detailed psychological analyses of hitler but i'd be curious what dxes they'd give him.

I'd say he was one of history's most notable (and extreme) paranoids. (As in "paranoid PD", not "paranoid schizophrenia".) A highly distorted and belligerent conscience can sometimes be more dangerous than none, because with a person with no conscience you can at least bargain.


How do you reckon his distorted and belligerent conscience related to PPD?
katana
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 9013
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:05 pm
Local time: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:38 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: Asperger vs. sociopathy

Postby Fallen_Angel73 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:12 pm

katana wrote:How do you reckon his distorted and belligerent conscience related to PPD?

Apparently he thought he was only defending what was necessary for his [nation's] survival, by preemptively attacking "his enemies". He made enemies before they even had the chance to have done anything against him. Out of the seven diagnostic criteria (it says only three are required), I'd say he had at least:

- excessive sensitivity to setbacks and rebuffs

- tendency to bear grudges persistently, i.e. refusal to forgive insults and injuries or slights

- suspiciousness and a pervasive tendency to distort experience by misconstruing the neutral or friendly actions of others as hostile or contemptuous

- a combative and tenacious sense of personal rights out of keeping with the actual situation

- tendency to experience excessive self-importance, manifest in a persistent self-referential attitude

It's also stated that "fanatic personality" is included in (that is, it's either synonymous or a subgroup of) the diagnosis of PPD.
Fallen_Angel73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 4215
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 12:55 pm
Local time: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:38 am
Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: Asperger vs. sociopathy

Postby katana » Sat Jan 19, 2013 11:45 pm

Hmm interesting. Might make sense. What about the distorted and belligerent conscience? Or only as a result of the paranoia?
katana
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 9013
Joined: Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:05 pm
Local time: Sun Jan 24, 2021 6:38 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: Asperger vs. sociopathy

Postby Fallen_Angel73 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 1:22 am

katana wrote:What about the distorted and belligerent conscience? Or only as a result of the paranoia?

Hm I think I don't really get what you're asking here.
Fallen_Angel73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 4215
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 12:55 pm
Local time: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:38 am
Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: Asperger vs. sociopathy

Postby shock_the_monkey » Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:33 am

anagram wrote:I'd say he was one of history's most notorious (and extreme) paranoids.

i think he certainly became paranoid. but i don't think that's the crux of his personality.

-- Sun Jan 20, 2013 8:37 am --

katana wrote:I don't know if there are any detailed psychological analyses of hitler but i'd be curious what dxes they'd give him.

i think it would now be impossible to separate the real hitler from the negative propaganda surrounding his life. just the issue of whether he was sexually deviant or not is so distorted that it's impossible to tell where the truth ends and the fiction starts.
something knocked me out' the trees
now i'm on my knees
... don't you know you're gonna shock the monkey

there is one thing you must be sure of
i can't take any more
... don't you know you're gonna shock the monkey

don't like it but i guess i'm learning

... shock the monkey to life
shock_the_monkey
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 4974
Joined: Tue Jan 15, 2008 10:36 pm
Local time: Sun Jan 24, 2021 7:38 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Asperger vs. sociopathy

Postby Fallen_Angel73 » Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:22 am

shock_the_monkey wrote:it's impossible to tell where the truth ends and the fiction starts.

Yes, that's true.
Fallen_Angel73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 4215
Joined: Wed May 30, 2012 12:55 pm
Local time: Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:38 am
Blog: View Blog (2)

Re: Asperger vs. sociopathy

Postby Sh3ld0n » Thu Jan 24, 2013 1:52 pm

shock_the_monkey wrote:if i can't understand something or i don't agree with it, i won't say i do just to be socially accepted. but i have learnt to ask myself 'is this worth fighting over' and 'does it really matter to me' before i dig my heels in. basically, if the ansewer to either of those questions is 'no', i try to remember to just let it go. but that doesn't mean i agree. i just means that it isn't worth my time and effort to disagree.


"Run away rather than hurt, hurt rather than maim, maim rather than kill"

This is a Shaolin principle I picked up from the TV series "Kung Fu"...
Probably not the best advice in most social situations... ;)

Rather, in a confrontational social situation, I would tend to:
* Run away rather than argue...
* Argue rather than lie...
* Lie rather than maim...
* Maim rather than kill...
However, sometimes you just have to kill the illogical bastard... :mrgreen:
Does that make me a sociopth?... :shock:
**********************
The implied qualifier is probably "tendency" if not otherwise stated...
I don't generalise in the classic sense...
My default MO is to think in terms of probabilities/improbabilities...
User avatar
Sh3ld0n
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 921
Joined: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:44 am
Local time: Mon Jan 25, 2021 4:38 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

PreviousNext

Return to Asperger's Syndrome Forum




  • Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 14 guests