Our partner

Asperger's Syndrome Definition and General Information

Asperger's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Asperger's Syndrome Definition and General Information

Postby seanetal » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:59 pm

The Asperger's Syndrome Forum is for the discussion of Asperger's Syndrome and related topics. Please remember that children may be reading this particular forum and post appropriately.

Asperger's Syndrome Description

Asperger's syndrome is an autism spectrum disorder that is characterized by significant difficulties in social interaction, along with restricted and repetitive patterns of behavior and interests. It differs from other autism spectrum disorders by its relative preservation of linguistic and cognitive development. Although not required for diagnosis, physical clumsiness and atypical use of language are frequently reported.

ADHD DSM IV-TR Criteria
Code: Select all
Diagnostic criteria for 299.80 Asperger's Disorder

A. Qualitative impairment in social interaction, as manifested by at least two of the following:
  (1) marked impairment in the use of multiple nonverbal behaviors such as eye-to-eye gaze, facial expression, body postures, and gestures to regulate social interaction
  (2) failure to develop peer relationships appropriate to developmental level
  (3) a lack of spontaneous seeking to share enjoyment, interests, or achievements with other people (e.g., by a lack of showing, bringing, or pointing out objects of interest to other people)
  (4) lack of social or emotional reciprocity

B. Restricted repetitive and stereotyped patterns of behavior, interests, and activities, as manifested by at least one of the following:
  (1) encompassing preoccupation with one or more stereotyped and restricted patterns of interest that is abnormal either in intensity or focus
  (2) apparently inflexible adherence to specific, nonfunctional routines or rituals
  (3) stereotyped and repetitive motor mannerisms (e.g., hand or finger flapping or twisting, or complex whole-body movements)
  (4) persistent preoccupation with parts of objects

C. The disturbance causes clinically significant impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning.

D. There is no clinically significant general delay in language (e.g., single words used by age 2 years, communicative phrases used by age 3 years).

E. There is no clinically significant delay in cognitive development or in the development of age-appropriate self-help skills, adaptive behavior (other than in social interaction), and curiosity about the environment in childhood.

F. Criteria are not met for another specific Pervasive Developmental Disorder or Schizophrenia.

American Psychiatric Association: Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition, Text Revision.
(c) 2000 American Psychiatric Association. http://www.psych.org/

Asperger's Syndrome ICD-10 Criteria
Code: Select all
F84.5 - Asperger’s Syndrome

A. A lack of any clinically significant general delay in spoken or receptive language or cognitive development. Diagnosis requires that single words should have developed by two years of age or earlier and that communicative phrases be used by three years of age or earlier. Self-help skills, adaptive behaviour and curiosity about the environment during the first three years should be at a level consistent with intellectual development. However, motor milestones may be somewhat delayed and motor clumsiness is usual (although not a necessary diagnostic feature). Isolated special skills, often related to abnormal preoccupations, are common, but are not required for diagnosis.

B.Qualitative abnormalities in reciprocal social interaction (criteria as for autism).

C.An unusually intense circumscribed interest or restrictive, repetitive, and stereotyped patterns of behaviour, interests and activities (criteria as for autism; however, it would be less usual for these to include either motor mannerisms or preoccupations with part-objects or non-functional elements of play materials).

D.The disorder is not attributable to other varieties of pervasive developmental disorder; schizotypal disorder (F21); simple schizophrenia (F20.6); reactive and disinhibited attachment disorder of childhood (F94.1 and .2); obsessional personality disorder (F60.5); obsessive-compulsive disorder (F42).

International Classification of Diseases (ICD), World Health Organization
http://www.who.int/classifications/icd/en/
seanetal
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Dec 03, 2020 10:30 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Asperger's Syndrome Definition and General Information

Postby Living Well » Sat Jul 23, 2011 3:36 am

seanetal wrote:ADHD DSM IV-TR Criteria

I'm confused, is Asperger's under ADHD and Autism in the DSM?
Living Well
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 04, 2020 3:30 am
Blog: View Blog (44)

Postby petrossa » Sat Jul 23, 2011 5:03 pm

It's been revised since. And rerevised, and then some. Now this one is being proposed:

http://www.dsm5.org/ProposedRevisions/Pages/proposedrevision.aspx?rid=94

In other words: We haven't got a clue but we write something down anyway since no-one will know whether it's right or wrong. :evil:
There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
petrossa
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:30 pm

Postby lee1962 » Tue Aug 30, 2011 10:04 am

I'm not particularly about how medical professionals classify Asperger's syndrome. My problem is that there is no agreement and co-ordination among carers and service providers, meaning that eligibility for entitlement is patchy and varies from borough to borough.
Walking every week in the Peak District
lee1962
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Dec 03, 2020 5:30 pm

Postby petrossa » Thu Sep 01, 2011 3:40 pm

Yeah well. Soon it doesn't exist anymore and actually thereby never existed in retrospect. Easiest way to make a problem go away. That's how they solved the problem of racism, just rename the offensive word and abacadabra.... no more racism.
There's only two things I hate in this world. People who are intolerant of other people's cultures and the Dutch.
petrossa
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Dec 03, 2020 7:30 pm

Postby atena » Sun Nov 27, 2011 3:17 pm

"Those queer things that are called the eyes, and which exist to make an agreeable soft depression in the face, are diseased, in [his] case, in such a way as to affect his brain. They are greatly distended, he has eyelashes, and his eyelids move, and consequently his brain is in a state of constant irritation and distraction."
"Yes?" said old Yacob. "Yes?"
"And I think I may say with reasonable certainty that, in order to cure him completely, all that we need do is a simple and easy surgical operation—namely, to remove these irritant bodies."
"And then he will be sane?"
"Then he will be perfectly sane, and a quite admirable citizen."
"Thank Heaven for science!"

H.G. Wells, "The Country of the Blind"

Why do I always remeber this quote when reading medical definitions of autism and aspergers?

In case some of the children are reading this - it is tough to be exceptional. But it is certainly rewarding.

Cheers
If I *seem* rude, ignore it. I didn't mean it. AS.
atena
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Charliewag » Mon Apr 15, 2013 6:55 pm

A lot of what I've read about the criteria rings true with me. I've never been what you could call a "people person" even though long to be like that :cry:
Charliewag
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Asperger's Syndrome Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post