Our partner

Benefits of Diagnosis

Asperger's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Benefits of Diagnosis

Postby dgmckee » Tue Feb 19, 2019 3:00 pm

I have suffered from selective eating throughout my life (40 years), and promised my wife that I would disclose this to my GP to ascertain if I should be taking any dietary supplements.

I was somewhat shocked to be quizzed about autism traits and was referred to an adult autism clinic for which I am still waiting on an appointment.

I have since undertaken several screening tests online which indicate that some of my peculiar mannerisms are synonymous with high functioning autism (AS).

In 40 years, this had never once entered my head - I was odd, but everyone is unique.

I have identified repetitive behaviour, carrying out needless tasks in particular order and I avoid most social occasions - primarily about food, but also to dodge small talk.

I am prone to meltdowns of varying degrees due to unexpected changes in routine, and often suffer from guilt upon reflection on what is often triggered by a trivial event.

Therefore, despite never having considered this before, I now think that I am likely to be on the spectrum.

However, I am not sure if a positive diagnosis will help or hinder me - I am concerned that it could be totally devastating for me (and my family indirectly).

Does anyone relate to this level of total ignorance of AS which I have had for most of my life, and should I proceed with formal diagnosis or just leave it as a 'maybe'?

I would really appreciate any advice and send my thanks in advance.
dgmckee
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:57 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Benefits of Diagnosis

Postby shock_the_monkey » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:19 am

you don't have to tell anyone about a diagnosis. unless you're in a profession that would exclude such a diagnosis, it ought not matter.
something knocked me out' the trees
now i'm on my knees
... don't you know you're gonna shock the monkey

there is one thing you must be sure of
i can't take any more
... don't you know you're gonna shock the monkey

don't like it but i guess i'm learning

... shock the monkey to life
shock_the_monkey
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:57 pm