Our partner

i think i grew out of aspergers?

Asperger's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

i think i grew out of aspergers?

Postby coxicaaa » Sat Oct 20, 2018 1:27 pm

hey! i'm jack. when i was seven years old, i was diagnosed with asperger's syndrome disorder; it was completely justified. i had no social skills and yet was top in the class in almost everything, i had no understanding of social cues and couldn't grasp facial expressions and sarcasm.
i'm now sixteen, and i think i've grown out of asperger's syndrome? i'm still kind of shy, but i think that's just my personality. i'm popular at school, and have heaps of deep friendships. people always come to me for advice because i'm highly empathetic and good at helping people with their feelings and problems. i have a strong dislike of routine and i also enjoy sports, which is apparently uncommon is aspies?

thanks for reading!!
~jack
coxicaaa
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Mar 25, 2019 1:01 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: i think i grew out of aspergers?

Postby shock_the_monkey » Mon Oct 22, 2018 5:32 am

one's position on the autistic spectrum can be very fluid. being a developmental disorder, it's quite possible to develop to a point where a diagnosis is no longer appropriate.

looking back, i'd have to say that i was verging on classic autism in my early childhood. no one diagnosed me back then. now, i very much doubt anyone would think i was an aspie, unless i confided in them. that's not to say i'm cured. far from it. i know only too well how poorly i function socially. however, i've learnt not to let this show. the thing, for me, is that i know this doesn't come naturally to me.
something knocked me out' the trees
now i'm on my knees
... don't you know you're gonna shock the monkey

there is one thing you must be sure of
i can't take any more
... don't you know you're gonna shock the monkey

don't like it but i guess i'm learning

... shock the monkey to life
shock_the_monkey
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Mar 24, 2019 4:01 pm

Re: i think i grew out of aspergers?

Postby iabsurdlyexist » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:19 am

If there is anything I have learned from spending time on mental health related forums is that diagnosis is inconsistent. That being said, I have been through some smooth sailing times in my life where everything just clicked. However, things eventually took a downturn. Similar to shock, it usually comes down to not being socially adequate but other times I must have just been overwhelmed by everything around me and didn't see it coming.
Dx: SPD/AvPD/BP2
iabsurdlyexist
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Mar 24, 2019 9:01 am

Return to Asperger's Syndrome Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post