Our partner

Can you relate to this?

Asperger's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Can you relate to this?

Postby pamelaperejil » Thu Jul 26, 2018 1:16 am

Having BPD is like being at sea on a ship with a broken compass. Everyone and everything you’ve ever loved is on the ship. Suddenly, a storm breaks. The winds tear, the waves rise and crash, threatening to rip the boat apart. You’re faced with imminent destruction: not just of your own life but of everything you’re ever cared for. Disaster looms, and you frantically turn to the ship’s compass for guidance out of this mess. But the compass just spins wildly, pointing in one direction and then another, without ever landing on any one direction. You know you need to do something NOW, but the compass will give you no indication of which way to turn to avert disaster.

When I wrote this about BPD, the compass referred to a sense of self. The ability to make and stick to a decision based on a stable sense of self and one's own values. But maybe the same analogy applies to Asperger's if you take the compass to mean social awareness. The ability to read others' minds and make a decision based on the appropriate social norms. A deficit in either leaves you unmoored, adrift at sea and tossed haplessly and helplessly along with life's waves.

Thoughts? Can anyone relate?
previously: pleasnpetrichor, perejil

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
pamelaperejil
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:08 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Can you relate to this?

Postby SomethingWithin » Thu Jul 26, 2018 4:17 am

Yes, I totally get that analogy. And yes I have felt that way, for a while now actually. For me it's not knowing that I'm supposed too do with my life. I've tried a lot of things but it's like... I'm good or decent at many things but not good enough for any one thing. Like there's a piece or two missing in everything I know and I don't know where to find those pieces...
SomethingWithin
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:08 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Asperger's Syndrome Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post