Our partner

Famous Aspies (non scientists)

Asperger's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Famous Aspies (non scientists)

Postby pamelaperejil » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:03 am

previously: pleasnpetrichor, perejil

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
pamelaperejil
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat May 25, 2019 1:11 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Famous Aspies (non scientists)

Postby sakura1 » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:40 am

I wonder if Joaquin Phoenix is.?
I saw one video where he was trolling david letterman as a joke/hoax.like it was black humor also.
But when he talks normal and charming, he has a more childlike temperament.
Anyway you can't tell easy,and there is nothing official
sakura1
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sat May 25, 2019 11:11 pm

Postby pamelaperejil » Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:48 am

sakura1 wrote:I wonder if Joaquin Phoenix is.?

I dunno.

Do I contradict myself?
pamelaperejil
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby iabsurdlyexist » Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:23 am

I've never like posts like these because I am never sure what they are trying to accomplish. There are so many variables in life, any person with any disorder could potentially become famous. There are then many others that suffer horribly due to their disorder.

It really hit home watching a documentary about Bipolar. All these famous people appreciated the benefits of their disorder because it helped them be creative when they needed. However, they talked to a regular person who had severe dysfunction from their disorder and did not paint a pretty picture like the famous ones did.

It also reminds me of the spectrum. You have to take into account all those that can't even support themselves and how lucky we are to be able to live a decent life and discuss this stuff online. Sometimes it's easy to forget the plight of others on the spectrum.
Dx: SPD/AvPD/BP2
iabsurdlyexist
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat May 25, 2019 3:11 pm

Postby pamelaperejil » Sat Jul 21, 2018 3:53 pm

iabsurdlyexist wrote:I've never like posts like these because I am never sure what they are trying to accomplish.

Sorry if I gave offence.

I wasn't trying to suggest there's anything special-snowflakey about Asperger's or that it makes a person gifted or anything. To me, it's just sort of an Aspie pride thing. Like the feeling I get watching the moon landing and knowing that they were American. Makes me feel proud. Go team Aspie. (At very least, I have some Aspie traits, so I'm giving myself permission to say that, I guess) It would make me even more proud to know that they had had to overcome very serious obstacles to achieve that success. That they were underdogs who no one expected to ever ever make it and, against all odds, they did.

The documentary afterwards gives a very real look at Susan Boyle, I think, and the toll her success had on her personally, largely because of her Asperger's. I don't think it glamorizes her or makes her out to be a celebrity. It paints her as a real person struggling with the pressures of fame and a developmental disorder. I thought it was very humanizing. I think it also defies the stereotype of Aspies as emotionless robots: the Mr. Spock type.

Do I contradict myself?
pamelaperejil
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby iabsurdlyexist » Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:51 pm

pamelaperejil wrote:Sorry if I gave offence.

Nope, just giving my opinion. Pride isn't something I possess. I'm sort of an all for all guy but I understand it's purpose.
Dx: SPD/AvPD/BP2
iabsurdlyexist
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat May 25, 2019 3:11 pm

Postby pamelaperejil » Mon Jul 23, 2018 8:23 pm

Ari Ne’eman

Ari Ne’eman is the co-founder of the Autistic Self Advocacy Network and served as its President from 2006 to 2016. He currently serves as Chief Executive Officer of MySupport.com, an online platform designed to empower seniors and people with disabilities to self-direct their own services. In 2009, President Obama nominated Ari to the National Council on Disability, a federal agency charged with advising Congress and the President on disability policy issues. He was confirmed by the Senate in July 2010 and served until 2015, during which time he chaired the Council’s Committee on Entitlements Policy. From 2010 to 2012, he served as a public member to the Interagency Autism Coordinating Committee, a Federal advisory committee that coordinates all efforts within the Department of Health and Human Services concerning autism. Ari also served as an adviser to the DSM-5 Neurodevelopmental Disorders Workgroup convened by the American Psychiatric Association. He previously served as a member of the National Quality Forum’s Workgroup on Measuring Home and Community Based Services Quality and the Department of Labor’s Advisory Committee on Increasing Competitive Integrated Employment of People with Disabilities.

He previously served as Vice Chair of the New Jersey Adults with Autism Task Force, where he represented autistic adults in reviewing the state’s autism services. He also previously served on the New Jersey Special Education Review Commission, where he authored a minority report on the topic of aversives, restraint and seclusion. He is also a board member of the American Association of People with Disabilities and the World Institute on Disability. In addition, he was named by the New York Jewish Week as one of their “36 by 36″ in 2010. He has a bachelor’s degree from the University of Maryland-Baltimore County, where he studied political science in the Sondheim Public Affairs Scholars Program.

Do I contradict myself?
pamelaperejil
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Asperger's Syndrome Forum

• Related articles