Our partner

Is it worth it to be Aspie?

Asperger's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Is it worth it to be Aspie?

Postby pamelaperejil » Fri Jul 20, 2018 3:25 pm

Would you, personally, choose to be NT if you could? If you could change into NT tomorrow, would you? If you could have changed during early childhood, would you have?

If Asperger's Syndrome could be identified and corrected in utero for all children so that they would grow up NT, would you choose to make it mandatory? Would you choose to make it optional? Would you choose to ban such a procedure?
previously: pleasnpetrichor, perejil

Do I contradict myself?
Very well then I contradict myself,
(I am large, I contain multitudes.)
Walt Whitman, Song of Myself
pamelaperejil
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:28 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Is it worth it to be Aspie?

Postby shock_the_monkey » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:01 pm

nothing like lighting the touch paper! this is the most divisive question in all aspie-dom.

and my views aren't exactly PC either, because, unlike most aspies, i can be much more NT if want to. all i have to do is go fruitarian, and many of my aspie traits just seem to fade away. so, i've ended up with a view of this that's more environmental than genetic, thought it's undoubtedly both. and, yes, being NT is a hell of a lot easier. but that's not quite the definitive answer that it might sound, because we learn through adversity. so, i honestly don't think there's a right answer here. there's the easy answer and the hard answer, but they both have pros and cons. and, at the end of the day, i can't re-live my life. i'm stuck with what it was. i will, however, say this: i'm not inclined to put anyone else through what i suffered, however, nor am i inclined to tinker with fate too much either. i'm not so conceited that i believe i know any better than natural evolution.
something knocked me out' the trees
now i'm on my knees
... don't you know you're gonna shock the monkey

there is one thing you must be sure of
i can't take any more

don't like it but i guess i'm learning

... shock the monkey to life
shock_the_monkey
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:28 am

Postby iabsurdlyexist » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:59 pm

I am happy with myself. I'd like the world to be a bit easier on me but so would anyone else.

The real problem with this question is due to the spectrum. Some do have it very hard. If I am on the spectrum, I'd say I don't have it very hard but socially, I can be a wreck. If I can find a corner to sit in, I am usually OK. I have sensory issues but I can usually dissociate in the moment so I don't get overwhelmed. Well, my history might show otherwise but I would have never pinpointed that as the reason at the time.
Dx: SPD/AvPD/BP2
iabsurdlyexist
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:28 pm

Postby pamelaperejil » Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:29 am

iabsurdlyexist wrote:I am happy with myself.

I'm glad you feel that way. So few are.

Do I contradict myself?
pamelaperejil
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby iabsurdlyexist » Sun Jul 22, 2018 10:56 am

pamelaperejil wrote:
iabsurdlyexist wrote:I am happy with myself.

I'm glad you feel that way. So few are.

Life is hard enough without dumping on oneself. Sure, I'd like to not have the social issues I have but at this point in my life, I don't think they are going anywhere. I'm never gonna be like everyone else either so I am just making the best of what I have.
Dx: SPD/AvPD/BP2
iabsurdlyexist
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jan 16, 2019 6:28 pm

Postby pamelaperejil » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:04 pm

pamelaperejil wrote:Would you, personally, choose to be NT if you could?

No

If you could change into NT tomorrow, would you?

No.

If you could have changed during early childhood, would you have?

No. I would, however, have gone back and given myself some validation. Explained what Asperger's is.

If Asperger's Syndrome could be identified and corrected in utero for all children so that they would grow up NT, would you choose to make it mandatory?

No

Would you choose to make it optional?

No

Would you choose to ban such a procedure?

Yes.

Do I contradict myself?
pamelaperejil
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby shock_the_monkey » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:29 pm

you might care to consider that the whole idea of NT is fundamentally flawed. it's NT to ignore problems. it's NT to pretend to care. it's NT to be hypocritical. in short, it's NT to be a mess and live in a world that's a mess ... and never notice. people think NT implies some sort of optimum. in fact, it's just an acceptance that the best they can do is woefully sub-optimum. and maybe that acceptance is actually just plain ignorance too. so, no, that doesn't sound too attractive to me. and perhaps being fruitarian doesn't make me NT. perhaps it makes me better than that, with more of the pros of being aspie and fewer of the cons. that's what i'd like to aim for, if they're not actually mutually exclusive ... which i actually don't think they are.
Last edited by shock_the_monkey on Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
now i'm on my knees

i can't take any more

shock_the_monkey
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby pamelaperejil » Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:35 pm

shock_the_monkey wrote:...people think NT implies some sort of optimum. in fact, it's just an acceptance that the best they can do is woefully sub-optimum.

This

Do I contradict myself?
pamelaperejil
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby pamelaperejil » Mon Jul 23, 2018 1:06 am

Other times, I think this: (pulled from another thread)

Granted, there's a fine line to walk between being true to others and being true to yourself. How do you negotiate the compromises to your self and your value system that are necessary for functioning in the real world and coexisting with other people... without losing your identity in the process? It's no easy question to resolve. Actually, it's one of the most difficult and profound ever asked. It's no wonder people struggle with it.

On person puts it rather bluntly: Join in the circle jerk or GTFO. (Ironically, Reaper, I think it was you who said that). Another puts it more gently: Ask yourself if there's a 'tonal problem' between yourself and others. I respond: Why is it so important to sing on tone in the first place? Why can't I just express myself? Why don't others just block me if they don't like it?

There is no absolute reason, I guess, but are you happy the way you are? Are you sure? As Dr. Phil says (and at the risk of sounding kitschy): how's that working out for you? In moments of clarity I find it's not working out too well for me.

Do I contradict myself?
pamelaperejil
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby shock_the_monkey » Mon Jul 23, 2018 2:43 am

no servant can have two masters. and there is always a price to be paid for following one and not another. so, we must choose who we wish to serve and accept the consequences of that choice. people think with their heads, not their hearts. you have to still the mind in order to hear what the spirit is saying to you. it's not easy. but it can be done. and, as with everything else, the more you do it the easier it becomes.

now, i must mention that, odd as it may sound, i don't do faith. but i have found that i possess a certain intuitive knowing, my spiritual compass. so, whenever i face a situation that i feel uncertain about, i no longer try to analyse it to death, i just let it suffuse with my subconscious until i become aware of a clearer perspective. most people tell me that i need to do this, that or the other, and when i say that i'm just going to wait and see they think i'm being irrational. but rationalising doesn't work for me anymore, and it hasn't for a long time. so, i now let life show me the way rather than forcing my way through life.
now i'm on my knees

i can't take any more

shock_the_monkey
Consumer 6
Consumer 6