Our partner

Just, somehow managing to break ones ability to empathy

Asperger's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Just, somehow managing to break ones ability to empathy

Postby anontraya » Wed Jun 13, 2018 12:46 pm

Just wanting to know if anyone else has managed to get to that point. I used to be a paragon of emotional empathy towards all my friends, probably a bit excessively so, but I was also very emotionally unstable with a wealth of issues piling up, and there is a certain moment after which it just -broke-

anyhow, the friends that i used to care about as deeply as though they were myself, whose lives and thoughts feelings were so familiar to me, who i was so invested in, whose joy and interests were so precious

i now cant give a single genuine ###$ about them, and its hard to make do with just cognitive empathy when youre autism. i can still cry over beautiful works of fiction, and i feel empathy while reading the works of certain miserable authors. its just been 3 years now, and im only getting more and comfortable in my little lonely pit, because i feel too bad about not feeling bad about only wanting friends to entertain me, and then be bored when they only bore me

any tips or anything?
anontraya
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:36 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Just, somehow managing to break ones ability to empathy

Postby shock_the_monkey » Wed Jun 13, 2018 5:57 pm

it sounds a like you just burnt out. and now you can't find a way back to where you were. perhaps you're holding back because it just hurt you too much. i'm not entirely sure.
something knocked me out' the trees
now i'm on my knees
... don't you know you're gonna shock the monkey

there is one thing you must be sure of
i can't take any more
... don't you know you're gonna shock the monkey

don't like it but i guess i'm learning

... shock the monkey to life
shock_the_monkey
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Nov 19, 2018 10:36 am

Re: Just, somehow managing to break ones ability to empathy

Postby iabsurdlyexist » Wed Jun 13, 2018 6:04 pm

No tips really but you may want to look up Schizoid. In theory, that is where you headed. Alternatively, persistent depressive disorder may be the cause. Medication or talking to a professional may help.

I never had many friends nor would have considered myself emotionally empathetic. I have always been cognitively empathetic. So, your causes or solutions could be totally different.
Dx: SPD/AvPD/Bipolar
iabsurdlyexist
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Nov 19, 2018 3:36 am

Return to Asperger's Syndrome Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post