Our partner

I hate showers. Can anyone relate?

Asperger's Syndrome message board, open discussion, and online support group.

I hate showers. Can anyone relate?

Postby Camelidae » Sat May 11, 2013 12:50 pm

Hi everyone,

while I´ve been tested for AS, I haven´t been diagnosed with it. They said I had traits of it though. I´m not sure if it is even possible to have traits of AS or if the things I experience and that I struggle with are AS related or just very similiar to AS but have a different cause, but since AS covers a few things my other diagnoses don´t, I will come here to talk about them regardless of their cause.

So. I´ve noticed that I totally hate taking showers. I remember being very little and crying my head off in the public shower of a public swimming pool. While I don´t think this unusal for little children, I still feel the same way about showers as I did then - the only difference being that I don´t cry my head off anymore. But I do dislike it. When at home, the sound of the water can sometimes have a calming effect on me in the same way in that I love fountains (both hearing and watching them). (When in a bad mood, the sound and echos make me feel disoriented and hurts my ears.) But I hate the feeling of the water on my skin. We have a shower head that allows for you to change the water jet, but I have yet to find a way of enjoying it. When it is set to mild, it is too soft for my liking and makes me want to constantly rub my skin. When it is set to hard, it feels like tiny little bullets hitting my skin at an enormous speed. None of my friends or family seem to understand this and while it is not the worst of all things, it does bother me that I seem to be the only one who feels that way.

Can anyone relate to this?
"If you're using half your concentration to look normal, then you're only half paying attention to whatever else you do. Just pointing out something that could save your life. You want society to accept you, but you can't even accept yourself.", from X-Men: First Class
Camelidae
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 07, 2020 9:03 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: I hate showers. Can anyone relate?

Postby neal88 » Sat May 11, 2013 3:59 pm

In various forms, I guess I have the same. I used to hate getting water on my hands at all, so that threw out showers, baths, and washing my hands. Whenever my hands would get wet, after they dried off my skin was so incredibly dry that touching paper, the wooden tip of a pencil, or some fabrics would give me goosebumps and send a chill up my spine as if someone scratched their fingernails on a chalkboard. Just thinking of scratching fingernails on a chalkboard gives me chills. It still happens to me now, but less. It's worse in the winter. I still shower ever day though.

I also hate clipping my nails for the same reason. For the first day after clipping my nails my fingertips are so sensitive that touching certain textures (paper, wood, fabric) gives me the same chills and goosebumps. Add clipped nails and taking a shower/washing my hands, in the winter, and it is a total nightmare.

I tried moisturizing lotions and all those did were turn my hands into a greasy mess that couldn't hold onto a pen/pencil while writing.
neal88
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 07, 2020 2:03 am

Postby Jassifrickanation » Sat May 11, 2013 6:47 pm

I'm not bothered by water. Actually, I really enjoy a nice hot bath and such. One thing that I've always been disgusted by are cigarettes and cigarette smoke. When I was younger, the sight or smell of it would give me to urge to spit in my shirt. I don't know why, but that was my reaction. Maybe it put a bad taste in my mouth? I don't know.

Anyways, I've grown out of that habit, but I still hate cigarette smoke. :P Also, certain things I touch, like a wall painted with flat paint, feels very uncomfortable. I don't enjoy wearing any type of shoe without socks (even sandles or crocs). That's about all I can think of to relate at this time. o.o
Jassifrickanation
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:03 am

Postby Sh3ld0n » Sun May 12, 2013 12:51 pm

I can't relate...sorry...
If I could, I'd live in the shower... :mrgreen:
And yes, I'm AS...
The implied qualifier is probably "tendency" if not otherwise stated...
I don't generalise in the classic sense...
My default MO is to think in terms of probabilities/improbabilities...
Sh3ld0n
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:03 pm

Postby Sponge » Mon May 13, 2013 5:15 am

I know one AS person who takes 5-7 baths and 2-3 showers per day :!:
I can't say that I adore shower, but it is enjoyable to take a nice shower after a long hot day. I take a shower in mornings and evenings. Just to be clean and always look keen :P .

I don't think it is an AS feature. Just your own.
Sponge
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Tue Jul 07, 2020 3:03 pm

Return to Asperger's Syndrome Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post