Our partner

Anxiety about a specific thing

Anxiety Disorder NOS message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Anxiety about a specific thing

Postby Balletgirl419 » Fri Apr 08, 2016 9:28 pm

Hi! I'm not sure if this is the best place for this question, but I wasn't sure where else to put it... It's slightly TMI, but I don't really know what to do:)
So when I was 8, I was paralyzed from the neck-down suddenly from a rare condition. I recovered from a lot of the paralysis, but for a few years afterwards, my bladder was pretty weak & I had a lot of accidents & had to go to the bathroom frequently. Now my bladder is more or less normal, & I can go many hours w/out peeing when I'm at home. However, I always used to worry about having to go to the bathroom & that interrupting activities & stuff. I still have that worry, even if it doesn't make sense!! I think about this the whole time that I'm in public, & I can't stop worrying about having to go, which then makes me feel like I do have to, so I go to the bathroom way more frequently when I'm out than when I'm at home and have complete access to a bathroom. I worry about it even when I'm at the dentist & they're working on my teeth and stuff like that. It's gotten worse this year for some reason.... I've started declining invitations from my friends to things like the movies, for fear of this anxiety and ultimately having to slip off to the bathroom embarrassingly frequently.
Is there anything I can do to help with this?
Balletgirl419
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:53 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Anxiety about a specific thing

Postby TwilightVanguard » Tue Apr 12, 2016 10:38 pm

Considering what you went through, it's normal for you to be anxious about this. I can understand why you are still afraid that an accident might happen.

Is it possible for you to get underwear for incontinence? It might help in alleviating some of the anxiety because even thought there might be no risk that it'll happen again, having that might help you feel a bit more at ease.

Other than that, it's clear that the anxiety you have about this is ramping up the more time goes by, and the more you avoid situations where you think something bad might happen. That's how anxiety works really. You should see if you can talk to someone about this so you can get some help. I remember having anxiety about going on the bus or going to the supermarket and I found a therapist that accompanied me to those places and did what they call "desensitization therapy" with me. It helped a lot in alleviating my fears. Hopefully something similar might be available for you, or at the very least, you can find someone to talk to about this and see what can be done so that you can feel less anxious.
Overcome with despair and hopelessness...
Cineri gloria sera est
TwilightVanguard
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:53 am
Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby MistaBobDobalina » Wed Jun 01, 2016 7:59 pm

With what you've been through, you shouldn't have any shame or embarrassment. I mean that in a good way! You're a survivor! A winner! Who cares what people think about the frequency with which you use the restroom? IF they do care, which they probably don't, and they should be understanding, especially if they're true friends, then I think that that would say a lot more about their character, or lack thereof.

TwilightVanguard has a good point. You could try some kind of incontinence underwear, not to prevent a "leak" exactly, so much as to give your mind the reassurance that it doesn't even matter! :) You'll be okay, and you are okay, no matter what! Screw what people think, and just be the badass bi-winning survivor that you are!

Oh, and maybe you could try anti-diuretics instead? You could try researching licorice, yohimbe and valerian.
MistaBobDobalina
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sat Feb 27, 2021 2:53 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Balletgirl419 » Sat Jul 09, 2016 12:46 am

Thank you both!! I'll look into those
Balletgirl419
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:53 am