Our partner

The Official Off Topic Thread

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Re: The Official Off Topic Thread

Postby salles » Thu Feb 07, 2019 10:47 pm

justonemoreperson wrote:
That said, there are more reasons why coincidences occur, and not all of them are easily understood or explained.

It doesn't make them "mystical" but it does show that we perceive the world around us in ways that we don't really understand.

I do wonder about Jungs theory of a collective subconsious at times.
Today I mentioned to a co-worker that I woke up thinking of J. who suicided some months ago. He was a friend of hers, not mine, but I had been on duty when the ambulance was called. She had also thought of him this morning for the first time in weeks. A mutual acquaintance posted a tribute to him on Facebook this morning. None of the three of us had partaken in any activity or common experience to induce his memory.
salles
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu May 23, 2019 9:44 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Manners73 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:27 am

Brandon1 wrote:
Manners73 wrote:I'm a coincidence person.

Yet you see it as weird.

Weird, strange, bizarre, odd, funny, just take your pick.
Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu May 23, 2019 8:44 am

Postby justonemoreperson » Fri Feb 08, 2019 3:08 pm

salles wrote:
I do wonder about Jungs theory of a collective subconsious at times.
Today I mentioned to a co-worker that I woke up thinking of J. who suicided some months ago. He was a friend of hers, not mine, but I had been on duty when the ambulance was called. She had also thought of him this morning for the first time in weeks. A mutual acquaintance posted a tribute to him on Facebook this morning. None of the three of us had partaken in any activity or common experience to induce his memory.

From what I know about Jung, which isn't much, his theory of a collective unconscious seems to stem more from learned instinct than a shared unconscious. An example of this is one I've mentioned before, where birds in a field near where I live will quite happily sit in a tree while you walk around, but will fly away if you point a rifle at them, even if they've not been shot at before.

From your experience above, my guess is that something triggered that memory in all of you and it's probably something completely unrelated and not seen as important to you at the time.

It might be a particular weather on the day, a song that was playing on the radio that you all shared separately, possibly a news item that was similar to one on the day.

It would have been something that would be attached to the memory of the incident but irrelevant to it, and so you don't consciously see the connection.
I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby salles » Fri Feb 08, 2019 4:44 pm

justonemoreperson wrote:
From what I know about Jung, which isn't much, his theory of a collective unconscious seems to stem more from learned instinct than a shared unconscious. An example of this is one I've mentioned before, where birds in a field near where I live will quite happily sit in a tree while you walk around, but will fly away if you point a rifle at them, even if they've not been shot at before.

Yes. I tend to put my own spin on it and have used it ( incorrectly) to explain weird coincidences and the concept of 'collective karmic debt', which is something that intrigued me when I first heard of it some years ago on a course.
You are right according to this explanation.
According to Jung's teachings, the collective unconscious is common to all human beings and is responsible for a number of deep-seated beliefs and instincts, such as spirituality, sexual behavior, and life and death instincts.

Jomp-
From your experience above, my guess is that something triggered that memory in all of you and it's probably something completely unrelated and not seen as important to you at the time.

It might be a particular weather on the day, a song that was playing on the radio that you all shared separately, possibly a news item that was similar to one on the day.

It would have been something that would be attached to the memory of the incident but irrelevant to it, and so you don't consciously see the connection.

I have wracked my brains to find a common link. I guess one link could be the spate of 'tragedies' that have occurred in the area recently, and we all probably listed them in our minds. Three of us out of 100's chose J as an example to feed the misery :)
A part of me likes to believe in something other than a logical reason tho', i'll admit that.
salles
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu May 23, 2019 9:44 am

Postby justonemoreperson » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:25 pm

salles wrote:A part of me likes to believe in something other than a logical reason tho', i'll admit that.

There's no shame in that.

There's 8 billion people in the world who have an adamant belief in something that, when you come down to it, is based on nothing but a desire to believe.
I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Manners73 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 6:54 pm

I used to get déjà vu a lot when I was younger and it happened to me yesterday.

I was just sat there in work minding my own business and all of a sudden everything that was happening around me was in kind of slow motion and it was as though it was an action replay.

I swear, there was balls being thrown and someone fell off a chair and people clowning about and laughing. I knew it was the déjà vu but it's a really odd sensation when it happens.
Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Brandon1 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:03 pm

Manners73 wrote:I used to get déjà vu a lot when I was younger and it happened to me yesterday.

I was just sat there in work minding my own business and all of a sudden everything that was happening around me was in kind of slow motion and it was as though it was an action replay.

I swear, there was balls being thrown and someone fell off a chair and people clowning about and laughing. I knew it was the déjà vu but it's a really odd sensation when it happens.

I've had déjà vu many times. I've also had dreams about things that have happened the same way I dreamt them.
Brandon1
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu May 23, 2019 3:44 am

Postby Manners73 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:16 pm

Well I tried to do a bit of research about it.

It said something about it's when your subconscious and your consciousness are in communication with each other or something like that anyway.

Or maybe it was when your consciousness becomes aware of your subconscious.

It's something to do with that your subconscious is aware of what has happened 6 seconds before your consciousness and déjà vu occurs when your consciousness remembers what your subconscious is already aware of and that is why you think that you have just relived a situation but you can't put your finger on why.

It kind of makes sense to me this idea.
Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Brandon1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:39 pm

I distinctly remember having dreams of the future, but that's crazy...

...Or is it?
Brandon1
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu May 23, 2019 3:44 am

Postby Manners73 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:37 pm

I woke up at 4:30 this morning right in the middle of a dream where I was taking off in a plane.

I still felt like I was flying for ages when I woke up.

I had to hold on to my mattress.
Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

PreviousNext

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post