Our partner

Is EGO important to you?

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Is EGO important to you?

Postby kristal » Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:13 am

Used to be for me..in my teens perhaps, but now NOT anymore.
I stopped putting ego and emotions into words and that makes things so much easier, so much smoother..I can lie and apologize at the drop of a hat..so easy.

That was a lesson to be learned for me because I grew up in a house where nobody ever say "please, thank you and sorry"
I had to learn them all. I used to though that those words are too difficult to say but now I they are a staple and it does make human interaction so much easier.

What is your experience regarding ego and putting emotions into words?
Do you always mean what you say? Me..no. Meh.
kristal
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Mon May 20, 2019 9:45 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Is EGO important to you?

Postby Iniquity » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:09 am

kristal wrote:What is your experience regarding ego and putting emotions into words?

The ego is important in developing self confidence and building self-esteem. So yes, it is important to me in that respect, but as for putting emotions into words, I don't believe that's important at all unless it benefits me.
You don't have to feel the emotion to express it. We all wear masks when socializing at times because we don't always express what we're really feeling. Sometimes it's the lies we tell that actually allow us to 'fit in' and be accepted in society.

Do you always mean what you say?

Not always, no, but I'm never afraid to be brutally honest if I see no reason to lie, which often gets me into trouble. On quite a few occasions I've been accused of being insensitive or just a straight out bully. Lying has it's benefits in situations that call for it, but I wouldn't lie just for the sake of it or to spare someone else's feelings unless it proved to be beneficial to me in some way.
Iniquity
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon May 20, 2019 12:45 pm

Postby Platypus » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:29 am

I've found that humility tends to help me get what I want better than ego does. So I would say that ego is very important to me in the sense that I try to reject it. (But I don't always succeed. :mrgreen: )

Kristal, I too found "I'm sorry" very difficult to say at first, as it was not something that was said often in my family. (I don't think I've ever heard my father say those words.) Then one day I realised that it didn't cost me anything, and yes, it made interaction much easier.

I'd like to add an extra question if I may, "Are you attracted to ego in others?"
No diagnosis, lots of opinions, and a bunch of issues that I haven't quite figured out.
Platypus
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon May 20, 2019 12:45 pm

Postby Tempest88 » Thu Nov 10, 2011 5:35 pm

kristal wrote:What is your experience regarding ego and putting emotions into words?

I'm not sure what you mean by putting emotions into words? Do you mean, making words sound real and genuine?

I find that words are empty, they're just... words... I can say anything I want and it means nothing. I find it amusing when words offend people :lol:

kristal wrote:Do you always mean what you say?

No, I say whatever is the right thing to say in any given situation. Usually, what I think the other person/people want me to say.

I have no issues with saying 'Please, Thank you, Sorry', common pleasantries can get annoying sometimes though, always repeating the same things. People put too much stock into words, in my opinion.
Tempest88
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun May 19, 2019 6:45 pm
Blog: View Blog (35)

Postby Neige » Thu Nov 10, 2011 11:22 pm

I have a huge ego. I'm not really sure how to describe it other than putting it that way.
I'm relatively bad at putting emotions into words, probably because I don't feel emotions the majority of the time.

Though like the other posters, I'm not entirely sure what you meant by the second half of that question.

kristal wrote:Do you always mean what you say? Me..no. Meh.

Of course not. I almost always say things that will make things go my way, or in a way that is favourable for me. I'm always polite, though that doesn't necessarily mean that I mean what I say. I often test what a person's gullibility level is by 'joking' around with them.

As for the word 'sorry', when I was a child I had a lot of trouble saying that word, because I never meant it. I still don't, though I try to say it more often now. It's just an empty word, much like mostly anything else that is said out loud.
Neige
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun May 19, 2019 9:45 pm

Postby slither » Sat Nov 12, 2011 2:45 am

Yes, although I usually hide it because it's only gotten me into trouble. The trick is not to lose it, but to alter the behavior that feeds it.

I've had countless opportunities to prove myself smarter or superior in some way to my peers all throughout school, but I rarely did. Instead, simply knowing I was already better was more important to me than getting praise, or proving that I actually was. It may be delusional and narcissistic to think this way, but being able to admit it to myself only feeds it more. :lol: This lack of need for attention from others may be why I have such a schizoid lifestyle, but not so many of the traits associated with schizoid PD.
In case you're wondering, I skipped gold and turned him into Platinum.
slither
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun May 19, 2019 6:45 pm

Postby ElegantThump » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:28 am

Well I am God.

Does this answer your question?
ElegantThump
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Mon May 20, 2019 2:45 am

Postby kristal » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:36 am

ElegantThump, I like your signature very much! It's what I am feeling right now :twisted:
kristal
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Mon May 20, 2019 9:45 am

Postby marycarterpaint » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:39 am

ElegantThump wrote:Well I am God. Does this answer your question?

yes, crys. Image

kristal wrote:ElegantThump, I like your signature very much! It's what I am feeling right now :twisted:

hi crys! :D
I never gave anybody hell! I just told the truth and they thought it was hell.
- Truman
marycarterpaint
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon May 20, 2019 12:15 am

Postby Eric_Lee » Wed Nov 16, 2011 7:42 am

ET-phone-home..

so i wasn't the only one who figured out ET was chris?
Eric_Lee
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon May 20, 2019 2:45 am

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post