Our partner

Psychopathy

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
Attention Please. The AsPD FORUM IS CLOSED.

The AsPD forum is closed for an indefinite period of time pending discussion of member usage, and relevance of the forum, and for revision of the forum's policies. We ask that you NOT to take AsPD threads and discussions into other forums here. This will result in being permanently banned from the forums and will only result to a longer period of forum locking or a permanent shut down. Please respect the safe spaces that those forums represent for other members here.

The Team

Psychopathy

Postby EllaBlack » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:33 am

After going in depth into the pathology of narcissism, I wanted to do the same thing with psychopathy.. So, what's wrong with it? These people are living the dream, are they not? If not, is it best to be a psychopath?
you two are on my foe list
EllaBlack
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:32 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Psychopathy

Postby Jonna » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:46 am

its best not to waste time on cliche threads like this one.
Jonna
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Dec 12, 2019 11:32 pm

Postby EllaBlack » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:54 am

Jonna wrote:its best not to waste time on cliche threads like this one.

Not when you have all the answers, right?

You've always got nothing to prove, which works well against narcs undoubtedly.
you two are on my foe list
EllaBlack
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby ZeroZ » Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:47 pm

True psychopaths are likely in and out of prison for most of their lives until they get themselves killed doing something stupid. I see no advantages to being a psychopath personally. I think it gets idealized way too much, probably because of movies and Internet non sense.

Certain traits of psychopathy can be an advantage, so cold and calculating to get what you want but this doesn’t work quite right in diagnosed psychopaths because they don’t have the ability to follow through on anything and their poor impulse and behavior controls basically mean the are a victim to every whim they get for large part. Same as narcissism, a great trait but not in its disordered form. Personality disorders are not super powers
ZeroZ
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Reaper » Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:33 pm

EllaBlack wrote:After going in depth into the pathology of narcissism, I wanted to do the same thing with psychopathy.. So, what's wrong with it? These people are living the dream, are they not?

GRANDIOSE SELF-WORTH — A grossly inflated view of one’s abilities and self-worth, self-assured, opinionated, cocky, a braggart. Psychopaths are arrogant people who believe they are superior human beings.

NEED FOR STIMULATION or PRONENESS TO BOREDOM — An excessive need for novel, thrilling, and exciting stimulation; taking chances and doing things that are risky. Psychopaths often have low self-discipline in carrying tasks through to completion because they get bored easily. They fail to work at the same job for any length of time, for example, or to finish tasks that they consider dull or routine.

CALLOUSNESS and LACK OF EMPATHY — A lack of feelings toward people in general; cold, contemptuous, inconsiderate, and tactless.

PARASITIC LIFESTYLE — An intentional, manipulative, selfish, and exploitative financial dependence on others as reflected in a lack of motivation, low self-discipline, and inability to begin or complete responsibilities.

POOR BEHAVIORAL CONTROLS — Expressions of irritability, annoyance, impatience, threats, aggression, and verbal abuse; inadequate control of anger and temper; acting hastily.

LACK OF REALISTIC, LONG-TERM GOALS — An inability or persistent failure to develop and execute long-term plans and goals; a nomadic existence, aimless, lacking direction in life.

IMPULSIVITY — The occurrence of behaviors that are unpremeditated and lack reflection or planning; inability to resist temptation, frustrations, and urges; a lack of deliberation without considering the consequences; foolhardy, rash, unpredictable, erratic, and reckless.

IRRESPONSIBILITYRepeated failure to fulfill or honor obligations and commitments; such as not paying bills, defaulting on loans, performing sloppy work, being absent or late to work, failing to honor contractual agreements.

FAILURE TO ACCEPT RESPONSIBILITY FOR OWN ACTIONSA failure to accept responsibility for one’s actions reflected in low conscientiousness, an absence of dutifulness, antagonistic manipulation, denial of responsibility, and an effort to manipulate others through this denial.

is it best to be a psychopath?

Oh absolutely.

Living the dream, baby, living the dream...
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:32 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby ZeroZ » Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:26 pm

Good point reaper
ZeroZ
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Moloko » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:24 am

Too many movies there, Ella. As a sociopath, I can't speak for psychopaths. Yes, there's a difference. There's nothing fun and exciting about the inability to relate and the knowledge that your missing out on something other people experience and take joy from (I understand joy because I actually can feel emotion) on a regular basis. Constantly being compared to Dexter. Having the few people you actually value tell you that they are scared of you, have no idea what your capable of, or clearly walk on eggshells around you (best case) because they know you'll take offense to a comment or action that most would consider normal or acceptable. If you're actually trying to live a normal life not bouncing around institutions like a retard, it's a daily struggle trying to care about right and wrong (yes, I know the difference), long enough just to make it away from people just to get your composure back. There's nothing to romanticize.
Moloko
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:32 am

Postby Reaper » Sun Nov 17, 2019 2:57 am

Moloko wrote:the knowledge that your missing out on something other people experience

Like what exactly? And what drives you to want that?

I ask because I can't relate.

There are things I've never experienced (like the feeling of being in love, or the bond and connection people seem to share in their relationships with each other etc) and I don't care to feel those things because I don't see any point in yearning for something that I personally don't see any real value in. I'm sure it has value to them, but to me it has none.

What's the point in loving or forming a bond with someone who I'm just going to use and discard anyway. That would be like having an intimate relationship with the cup I drink out of. Of course, I'm not saying I've never been in relationships or ever cared about anyone. I have, but I find relationships tedious and any caring I feel is very shallow. It's easy to turn on and off.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 13, 2019 6:32 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby ZeroZ » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:24 am

I’ve actually never met someone diagnosed a sociopath, how does that differ from how a psychopath is diagnosed?
ZeroZ
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Moloko » Sun Nov 17, 2019 3:43 am

Supposedly, psychopaths come by the label genetically and sociopaths become so by being forced into the mindset environmentally. The former are more calculating while the later are more emotional. That's what I can remember.

To answer your question, Reaper, I'm not entirely certain. But I can tell the difference in my fake excitement and someone's genuine to know the difference when watching others. I'm sure there's something to experience there that I can't. Why I would want that is easier to explain. While some people are looking moves ahead, normal people are just enjoying the moment. It's simplistic and does put them at a distinct advantage. But it's not something they regularly consider. And there is that old adage of wanting more the thing you can't have.
Moloko
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:32 am

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post