Our partner

Original Diagnostic Terms for ASPD via DSM-I

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Original Diagnostic Terms for ASPD via DSM-I

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Tue Oct 29, 2019 6:09 am

The DSM-I's definitions seem haphazard - all the more interesting to me.

• Thoughts?
• Do you relate to any of these descriptions more than the others?

American Psychiatric Association's first
Diagnostic Statistical Manual for Mental Disorders [1952]

Pg 36, 38 & 39

000-X60 SOCIOPATHIC PERSONALITY DISTURBANCE

Individuals to be placed in this category are ill primarily in terms of society and of conformity with the prevailing cultural milieu, and not only in terms of personal discomfort and relations with other individuals. However, sociopathic reactions are very often symptomatic of severe underlying personality disorder, neurosis, or psychosis, or occur as the result of organic brain injury or disease. Before a definitive diagnosis in this group is employed, strict attention must be paid to the possibility of the presence of a more primary personality disturbance; such underlying disturbance will be diagnosed when recognized. Reactions will be differentiated as defined below.

000-x61 Antisocial reaction

This term refers to chronically antisocial individuals who are always in trouble, profiting neither from experience nor punishment, and maintaining no real loyalties to any person, group, or code. They are frequently callous and hedonistic, showing marked emotional immaturity, with lack of sense of responsibility, lack of judgment, and an ability to rationalize their behavior so that it appears warranted, reasonable, and justified. The term includes cases previously classified as "constitutional psycho-pathic state" and "psychopathic personality." As defined here the term is more limited, as well as more specific in its application.

OOO-x62 Dyssocial reaction

This term applies to individuals who manifest disregard for the usual social codes, and often come in conflict with them, as the result of having lived all their lives in an abnormal moral environment. They may be capable of strong loyalties. These individuals typically do not show significant personality deviations other than those implied by adherence to the values or code of their own predatory, criminal, or other social group. The term includes such diagnoses as "pseudosocial personality" and "psychopathic personality with asocial and amoral trends."

OOO-x63 Sexual deviation

This diagnosis is reserved for deviant sexuality which is not symptomatic of more extensive syndromes, such as schizophrenic and obsessional reactions.
The term includes most of the cases formerly classed as "psychopathic personality with pathologic sexuality." The diagnosis will specify the type of the pathologic behavior, such as homosexuality, transvestism, pedophilia, fetishism and sexual sadism (including rape, sexual assault, mutilation).

*obviously we're all aware that homosexuality and nontypical gender identification are no longer considered 'disordered'

I would assume the following may have made it's way towards BPD as a label.

000-x51 Emotionally unstable personality
In such cases the individual reacts with excitability and ineffectiveness when confronted by minor stress. His judgment may be undependable under stress, and his relationship to other people is continuously fraught with fluctuating emotional attitudes, because of strong and poorly controlled hostility, guilt, and anxiety. This term is synonymous with the former term "psychopathic personality with emotional instability."

I also found it entertaining to note that both DSM-I & DSM-II include:
"Inadequate Personality Disorder" &
"Passive Aggressive Personality Disorder"
This second one should still exist, I believe.
From out of it, a whole men's "Me Too" movement may pour out.

PDF Download for the first dsm
http://www.turkpsikiyatri.org/arsiv/dsm-1952.pdf
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Nov 12, 2019 10:54 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Original Diagnostic Terms for ASPD via DSM-I

Postby Reaper » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:14 am

DaturaInnoxia wrote:• Thoughts?
• Do you relate to any of these descriptions more than the others?

000-x61 Antisocial reaction

This term refers to chronically antisocial individuals who are always in trouble, profiting neither from experience nor punishment, and maintaining no real loyalties to any person, group, or code. They are frequently callous and hedonistic, showing marked emotional immaturity, with lack of sense of responsibility, lack of judgment, and an ability to rationalize their behavior so that it appears warranted, reasonable, and justified. The term includes cases previously classified as "constitutional psycho-pathic state" and "psychopathic personality." As defined here the term is more limited, as well as more specific in its application.

I can definitely relate to most of that, but I don't think I'm chronically antisocial since I don't get into trouble much these days, at least not in real life anyway. When I was younger I could certainly say that relates to me irl. Most of my socializing is done online these days and it's usually social situations where the trouble starts. All the trouble I get into is online mostly nowadays.

I don't think I profit from experience or punishment since I never seem to change. I'm definitely callous and hedonistic, have no loyalties to anyone, show marked emotional immaturity (I don't think I matured past my teen years), lack a sense of responsibility and I've been told I lack judgement (whatever the fuk that means) - I strongly relate to all of that.

Actually, they used the word insight, not judgement, but same thing I suppose.

OOO-x62 Dyssocial reaction

This term applies to individuals who manifest disregard for the usual social codes, and often come in conflict with them, as the result of having lived all their lives in an abnormal moral environment. They may be capable of strong loyalties. These individuals typically do not show significant personality deviations other than those implied by adherence to the values or code of their own predatory, criminal, or other social group. The term includes such diagnoses as "pseudosocial personality" and "psychopathic personality with asocial and amoral trends."

I don't relate as much to that one.

As far as being amoral goes, I don't think I have much of a moral conscience considering the things I've done, but I can have one when I want one and I can just as easily disregard it when I don't want one (one day I might care about something that's happening and take issue with it and on another day I won't even give a shlt, or vice versa). It's selective.

OOO-x63 Sexual deviation

This diagnosis is reserved for deviant sexuality which is not symptomatic of more extensive syndromes, such as schizophrenic and obsessional reactions.
The term includes most of the cases formerly classed as "psychopathic personality with pathologic sexuality." The diagnosis will specify the type of the pathologic behavior, such as homosexuality, transvestism, pedophilia, fetishism and sexual sadism (including rape, sexual assault, mutilation).

I can relate to that one as well to some degree. There's been some deviant sexuality in my past behavior, but not a lot.

000-x51 Emotionally unstable personality
In such cases the individual reacts with excitability and ineffectiveness when confronted by minor stress. His judgment may be undependable under stress, and his relationship to other people is continuously fraught with fluctuating emotional attitudes, because of strong and poorly controlled hostility, guilt, and anxiety. This term is synonymous with the former term "psychopathic personality with emotional instability."

I don't think I'm emotionally unstable in the slightest. I get angry easy, but that's not the same thing since emotional instability refers to a range of emotions.

I've been told that I'm 'dramatic', but I say and do certain things sometimes just to get a reaction out of people. It amuses me. I'd be lying if I said I don't like positive and negative attention sometimes.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:54 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby HSS » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:45 am

DaturaInnoxia wrote:
both DSM-I & DSM-II include "Inadequate Personality Disorder"

:lol: ... :roll:
HSS
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby salles » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:25 pm

HSS wrote:
DaturaInnoxia wrote:
both DSM-I & DSM-II include "Inadequate Personality Disorder"

:lol: ... :roll:

:idea: Ha, I might use that term as part of my grand plan to go on disability allowance.
salles
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:54 pm

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Tue Oct 29, 2019 12:55 pm

It seems like Hollywood has based many of its most romanticized descriptions of criminals off "dyssocial reaction"

Reaper wrote:As far as being amoral goes, I don't think I have much of a moral conscience considering the things I've done, but I can have one when I want one and I can just as easily disregard it when I don't want one (one day I might care about something that's happening and take issue with it and on another day I won't even give a shlt, or vice versa). It's selective.

I wonder if this carries over to grudges and if a major harm is done to you, whether you care and take issue with something and then genuinely just stop giving a shlt
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Reaper » Tue Oct 29, 2019 1:15 pm

DaturaInnoxia wrote:
Reaper wrote:As far as being amoral goes, I don't think I have much of a moral conscience considering the things I've done, but I can have one when I want one and I can just as easily disregard it when I don't want one (one day I might care about something that's happening and take issue with it and on another day I won't even give a shlt, or vice versa). It's selective.

I wonder if this carries over to grudges and if a major harm is done to you - whether you care and take issue with something and then genuinely just stop giving a shlt

I tend to judge things more harshly that happen to me then when they happen to others. For example: If I decided to rape a kid I wouldn't have any issue with that because I chose to do it, but if someone raped my kid, well, obviously that's gonna piss me off because she's my property.

If someone raped someone else's kid I may or may not even give a shlt. It all depends on whether I feel like giving a shlt or not.

When I ran my first discord server someone joined who people didn't like. They said he was a pedophile and I told them that I didn't give a fuk. He could have raped a kid and I couldn't care less. Not my problem.

I used that as an example because that's something most people have a big issue with.

I think it really depends on the circumstances as to whether I take issue with something or not.

One of my ex's tried to kill me cause he thought I cheated on him and I didn't blame him for it. He was drunk, angry and upset cause he felt betrayed. I think a lot of people have betrayed him in his life, and this was the straw that broke the camel's back so to speak. Fact is though, I didn't cheat on him. He was given false information by some bitch who didn't like me, so I blame her.

That's the only situation I could think of where someone has seriously harmed me.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Tue Oct 29, 2019 3:27 pm

Interesting.

So then, you let it go and you're ok with him.
Do you still have issue with the woman or do you think you'd be ok with her if it was to your benefit?
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Reaper » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:14 pm

DaturaInnoxia wrote:Interesting.

So then, you let it go and you're ok with him.
Do you still have issue with the woman or do you think you'd be ok with her if it was to your benefit?

No, I don't have issue with her anymore for doing what she did. I was pissed about it, but I get over shlt really quickly. Besides, she's already miserable. She's stuck in a relationship with a dude who cheats on her. That's good enough revenge for me.
Last edited by Reaper on Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Tue Oct 29, 2019 4:16 pm

Reaper wrote:I get over shlt really quickly.

An admirable quality.
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post