Our partner

Struggling to find comfort in a structured lifestyle

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Struggling to find comfort in a structured lifestyle

Postby EllaBlack » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:00 pm

I got sick of the discomfort associated with my unstructured lifestyle, so I decided that it would be worth a shot to try some structure, no matter how hard it was... Well it's really hard. :lol:

Anyone in the same boat?
EllaBlack
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Tue Nov 12, 2019 1:52 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Struggling to find comfort in a structured lifestyle

Postby saucygirl31 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:08 pm

i realized I need structure once I left home at 18.

im sort of used to it because I didn't grown up in a chaotic environment, but it definitely can get boring, for lack of a better word.

sometimes I feel more in control when "out of control", if u feel me.
ur grill saucy.
saucygirl31
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:52 pm

Postby EllaBlack » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:10 pm

saucygirl31 wrote:sometimes I feel more in control when "out of control", if u feel me.

Does "more comfortable" resonate? If not then I'm not sure what you mean because it's an oxymoron.
EllaBlack
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Postby saucygirl31 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:17 pm

no, not comfortable. just in control because when ppl think I'm out of control and not structured I'm calling the shots. structure is largely implimented by societal standards, ime.
ur grill saucy.
saucygirl31
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby EllaBlack » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:24 pm

saucygirl31 wrote:no, not comfortable. just in control because when ppl think I'm out of control and not structured I'm calling the shots. structure is largely implimented by societal standards, ime.

When I say structure, I'm personally referring to things like proper hygiene (not that proper hygiene in particular has ever really been an issue for me), healthy eating habits and a consistent sleep cycle (among other things.) There's evidence that these things can help improve mental health, so I'm giving it a shot because I haven't had a structured lifestyle in two of those areas since I was a kid.

Proper self-care in general is what I'm hoping I choose to stick to, basically.
EllaBlack
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Postby saucygirl31 » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:29 pm

even that stuff. when I eat what I want I feel more in control then when ratting things deemed "good for u".
ur grill saucy.
saucygirl31
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby EllaBlack » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:32 pm

saucygirl31 wrote:even that stuff. when I eat what I want I feel more in control then when ratting things deemed "good for u".

Well I eat healthy but I eat whenever I want. :lol:

It's better to stick to a more or less consistent schedule with food, health wise. Not too rigidly, but find the balance is what I'm hoping to do.
EllaBlack
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Postby salles » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:36 pm

EllaBlack wrote:
saucygirl31 wrote:no, not comfortable. just in control because when ppl think I'm out of control and not structured I'm calling the shots. structure is largely implimented by societal standards, ime.

When I say structure, I'm personally referring to things like proper hygiene (not that proper hygiene in particular has ever really been an issue for me), healthy eating habits and a consistent sleep cycle (among other things.) There's evidence that these things can help improve mental health, so I'm giving it a shot because I haven't had a structured lifestyle in two of those areas since I was a kid.

Proper self-care in general is what I'm hoping I choose to stick to, basically.

Healthy eating habits is a tough one for me, not regarding quality of food, but the lack of importance I attach to eating at all.
Sometimes I forget to eat.
And sometimes I forget I have eaten.
I was recently reading about attachment styles and how it manifests in people's relationship to food.
salles
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Nov 12, 2019 7:52 pm

Postby Reaper » Sun Oct 20, 2019 5:02 pm

EllaBlack wrote:I got sick of the discomfort associated with my unstructured lifestyle, so I decided that it would be worth a shot to try some structure, no matter how hard it was... Well it's really hard. :lol:

Anyone in the same boat?

Yeah, my daughter (when she was living with me) would always complain to me that we never had a routine, that there was no structure in our lives. I hate routine and having to live by a schedule because it creates boundaries and restrictions. I like being able to do what I want when I want, but it's not a healthy lifestyle.

I'm very disorganized in general, so I probably need structure in my life for that reason alone, if nothing else. I find chaos comforting though. I like the uncertainty it brings, but it's not very helpful for trying to achieve anything long-term.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Nov 13, 2019 5:52 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Oblivion » Sun Oct 20, 2019 6:05 pm

salles wrote:I was recently reading about attachment styles and how it manifests in people's relationship to food.

Can you provide any links?
Kids need to know they suck.
Oblivion
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views