Our partner

light triad scale.

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
Attention Please. The AsPD FORUM IS CLOSED.

The AsPD forum is closed for an indefinite period of time pending discussion of member usage, and relevance of the forum, and for revision of the forum's policies. We ask that you NOT to take AsPD threads and discussions into other forums here. This will result in being permanently banned from the forums and will only result to a longer period of forum locking or a permanent shut down. Please respect the safe spaces that those forums represent for other members here.

The Team

Re: light triad scale.

Postby solemnlysworn » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:40 am

That might be the case but you must see that it's easier to form a clearer picture if you share some of their experiences, thoughts, feelings, needs, fears, etc.

I'm not saying that for empathy to exist that you need to be a clone of somebody but if you were a clone of somebody that's the person you'd have the greatest capacity for empathy for, since you can most readily take on their perspective, knowing what is going on and what they are feeling.

Some people have the capacity to empathise brilliantly with people without many social or environmental or historical similarities but having those things is always an advantage. It allows you to empathise better since you know more intimately their situation
Hello friend
solemnlysworn
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:19 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Seili » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:43 am

In my opinion, sympathy doesn't quite reach the level/depth of empathy..
☆ In a world where you can be anything. Be KIND ☆
Seili
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Nov 23, 2020 9:19 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby solemnlysworn » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:48 am

I'm not sure that I'm talking about sympathy at this point. I only mean a narrow definition so to give sympathy a wide birth. I'm meaning a non-judgemental understanding of somebody's situation and a capacity to take on their perspective and imagine and feel it from their point of view.

For that, everything I've said in the last couple of posts holds. Yes, if you're a good person, you shall have this for everybody and unconditionally. However, we cant escape the fact that the more alien is harder to empathise with if we don't know what they are going through or what they are thinking. We can try. We can try and we can do our best to imagine what those completely different to us in disposition are thinking and we might get close but the closer we are to them as a person and in disposition or in shared experiences or background then, given the same ability to form a theory of mind, the better we'll be at empathising with that person

To use the clone example, I might not even feel sorry for my clone. That still doesn't mean though that it isn't the person I'll be able to empathise with best.
Hello friend
solemnlysworn
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby salles » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:51 am

Seili wrote:Empathy is feeling with others, regardless of their or your background. It's not conditional, it's unconditional.

that's why ss's definition was correct.
I watched the video. Her description of sympathy is off, and suggests people offer a string of platitudes as a way of showing sympathy and yes, stupid irritating people do that.
It irks me that as a 'nurse' she feels she is an expert on human behaviour.
But nice graphics, at least.

Anyway the triad scale uses empathy not sympathy as a parameter.

example: I can feel empathy with 1. someone with aspd who has addiction problems, or impulsivity/recklessness because I have had some experience with this more so than 2. for a non with cancer, because i've never had cancer.
I can offer sympathy to no.1. quite easily
AND no. 2 ... if I Like them. If I did it would not be through using platitudes.

Recently I had to act sympathetic to a customer with leukemia. But he went on and on about his runny nose, how it caused pimples under his nose. When he shaved he cut the heads off them and they bled a lot. Bored me to death with details about how he uses a wet shave....etc...
I found myself thinking ' just die already'.
Last edited by salles on Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
salles
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Nov 23, 2020 8:19 pm

Postby Seili » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:58 am

salles wrote:Anyway the triad scale uses empathy not sympathy as a parameter.

It also asked if I'm cynical and that parameter, consisting other definitions went up to 19%

You're talking about sympathy, it's like conditional peer support.
Seili
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby solemnlysworn » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:59 am

cynical worldview in this test is related to Machiavellianism it's inverse in 'Believing in the good in people'. It's whether you're distrustful.

Because this is a judgement, it is not (primarily) empathetic.
Hello friend
solemnlysworn
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Seili » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:02 am

I can sometimes think cynical and still base my actions on believing in the good in people.
Seili
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby solemnlysworn » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:03 am

You can but that's called a neurosis
Hello friend
solemnlysworn
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Seili » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:06 am

solemnlysworn wrote:You can but that's called a neurosis

Lol no it's not. It's called humanity.
Seili
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby solemnlysworn » Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:07 am

Humanity is seeing that somebody has bad aspects to their personality or has done bad things but still wanting the best for them. You act in kind.

It's not thinking somebody is bad or might do bad but then blinding pretending they might do good in the face of all reason and acting that way.
Last edited by solemnlysworn on Sun Oct 20, 2019 8:08 am, edited 1 time in total.
Hello friend
solemnlysworn
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

PreviousNext

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post