Our partner

Music and personality

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
Attention Please. The AsPD FORUM IS CLOSED.

The AsPD forum is closed for an indefinite period of time pending discussion of member usage, and relevance of the forum, and for revision of the forum's policies. We ask that you NOT to take AsPD threads and discussions into other forums here. This will result in being permanently banned from the forums and will only result to a longer period of forum locking or a permanent shut down. Please respect the safe spaces that those forums represent for other members here.

The Team

Re: Music and personality

Postby solemnlysworn » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:14 am

I asked that question in the way I did because metal and heavy rock, in particular, researchers found for adolescents who preferred it and continued to demonstrated low self-esteem, higher levels of discomfort within the family, and tended to feel rejected by others. In terms of their temperament, those who liked metal and hard rock tended to be 'gentle' (an actual category in the research). It didn't say anything about their adult lives but that it seemed possible that even though the preference continued that it may be related to self-soothing and emotional regulation.

-- Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:16 am --

I just wanted to see how you'd react. I'm sorry that you felt it was rude. I wasn't sure if you'd feel 'detached' when confronted with text. After you mentioned a couple of times not knowing if you were being messed with on the forum, and seeming like it mattered to you, I thought it was curious. I tied that into the same idea about self-esteem and music taste I just mentioned and wanted to test it.

-- Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:23 am --

Datura, I don't dislike your posts. I think you're quite interesting and am often charmed by you
Hello friend
solemnlysworn
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Nov 23, 2020 7:12 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:32 am

solemnlysworn wrote:may be related to self-soothing and emotional regulation.

^
Yes, in the past I read and been told it helps people with any types of issues that lead to dissociation.

solemnlysworn wrote:After you mentioned a couple of times not knowing if you were being messed with on the forum, and seeming like it mattered to you, I thought it was curious. I tied that into the same idea about self-esteem and music taste I just mentioned and wanted to test it. 
-- Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:23 am --

Datura, I don't dislike your posts. I think you're quite interesting and am often charmed by you

What matters most to me about being uncertain if I'm being made fun of is that I literally don't know.
As for you being rude, you've never been rude to me before, so I was surprised, offended and confused and wanted to know why.
Bitches Be Tripping. They're me - I'm Bitches.  ~ unknown
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Nov 23, 2020 11:12 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby solemnlysworn » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:34 am

Love you though so there's no need for that
Hello friend
solemnlysworn
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:39 am

And now what are you trying to see?
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby solemnlysworn » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:42 am

What's under those clothes obv

-- Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:42 am --

But no seriously there was no test there
Hello friend
solemnlysworn
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:49 am

Are we needing to sober you up? Or are we needing to go find you a lay for the night? PMing you
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Re: Music and personali

Postby Greebo » Mon Oct 21, 2019 1:28 am

Iirc Marilyn Manson and metal generally got clobbered after the columbine shootings because one of the little twerps used to listen to it. Artists like Manson are to metal as Eminem is to hip-hop, ludovico einaudi is to classical (in the broader sense) music and James blunt is to the folk/singer-songwriter tradition. They might all be stylistically different but in terms of content they all have more to do with each other and pop music in general than they do with the (i don’t want to say non-comercial because it’s all comercial) more substantive areas of their own genres. In terms of metal that’s musicians for whom the idea of artistic integrity is a little more than blokes in their 30s and 40s belting out whingy songs about teenage angst and rebellion. Manson has always reminded me a little of lady gaga, though that probably more of an insult to the latter than the former.

One of the things I have noticed about people who are heavily into the more accessible metal bands is that there is an identity element to it, it seems to be improtant to them that they aren’t listening to “mainstream” music.
Greebo
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Dazz » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:17 am

Manson wasn't interpreted as metal but mostly as industrial rock, he was even pals with Trent Reznor the poster boy in 90's...Columbine dudes weren't major fans, they were big fans of industrial groups like KMFDM, but they weren't as popular and commercial as Manson so weren't likely targets of Christian right-wing party poopers...Manson was the protege of trollsters Anton LaVey and Boyd Rice, his intent was always to be shocking and edgy, but most importantly famous, same as with his musical idol David Bowie, who also had personas/era's, and up to and including (though even Manson fans may disagree) Golden Age of Grotesque, his stuff is decent.

Eminem is generally accepted as being hip-hop, so I don't know what you're getting at there, even people who dislike him concede that, Eminem's main issue has always been since Eminem Show, producers who don't know what to do with him, including himself...but you are totally right about people who need a non-conformist identity who just naturally end up conforming to something less popular but still commercial/accessible, I noticed this in school with the goths and emo's.
Dazz
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Greebo » Mon Oct 21, 2019 5:29 am

Wasn’t my intent to suggest that any of the listed artists didn’t belong to their respective genres. Simply that in my view each genre represents a broad spectrum of music such that music at the more popularist end often has more to do with the popularist end of other genres than it does with the least accessible end of its own.

For music to be commercially successful it has to provide a quick and easy emotive hit which is achieved in broadly the same way whether it’s pop, metal, dance, hip-hop or industrial rock. Music with more substance requires more from the listener, both in terms of actual effort as well as openness to experience whatever the music is trying to impart. In a way the more popularist music is all targeting a similar demographic, and to an extent the same is true of all less comercial and less accessible music.

That’s badly explained so let me put it another way: The person who introduced me to green day was the same person who introduced me to rammstein and the Jay-z. The person who introduced me to King Crimson is the same person who introduced me to sunn O))) and tangerine dream. And I’m pretty certain I would have more luck with the later than the former if I was trying to get someone interested in messiaen.

For anyone born in my own generation or later (late 80s), the presence of the internet and the sheer availability of media across the board means most people are going to declair themselves to have an eclectic taste in terms of musical genres. In my experience the accessibility of the music an individual listens to is probably as meaningful in analysing their taste (and, for the sake of this thread, their personality) as the genres that they listen to.

Ultimately this whole thing centres around my own ephemeral and intangible ideas of artistic merit and musical depth and the notion that often the presence of these attributes makes a piece of music less useful to someone seeking a quick buzz. Equally I find the number of repeats which it takes me me to exhaust a popular track may well be the point at which something less comercial and accessible is just getting into its stride. It is however, entirely subjective and probably gives the impression that my own taste is far more snobbish/highbrow than in fact it is.
Greebo
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby EllaBlack » Mon Oct 21, 2019 9:00 am

I mostly listen to hip-hop, pop and dance/EDM music, but I'm also into rock and metal somewhat.

I like this song right now. Makes me wanna... throw it in reverse. :wink: :lol:

This one's cool too. 8)
you two are on my foe list
EllaBlack
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:12 pm

PreviousNext

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies