Our partner

Music and personality

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
Attention Please. The AsPD FORUM IS CLOSED.

The AsPD forum is closed for an indefinite period of time pending discussion of member usage, and relevance of the forum, and for revision of the forum's policies. We ask that you NOT to take AsPD threads and discussions into other forums here. This will result in being permanently banned from the forums and will only result to a longer period of forum locking or a permanent shut down. Please respect the safe spaces that those forums represent for other members here.

The Team

Re: Music and personality

Postby saucygirl31 » Sat Oct 19, 2019 10:07 pm

solemnlysworn wrote:It's extra stimulus. If you have low sensitivity to stimuli, wouldn't flashing lights, banging tunes and tonnes of drugs be exactly what you need?

You have rhythm Jonna boy?

-- Sat Oct 19, 2019 7:59 pm --

I don't like the word calculate. Lol just go swoop in. Fucking assessing the dancefloor for potential target acquisition haha. Goon squad.

Idk what there is to think about so hard

rofl.

-- Sat Oct 19, 2019 11:08 pm --

i like the part where jonna pretends to like music to fit in. i can see it bobbing it's head mad awkwardly trying to get laid.
- ur gril saucy
saucygirl31
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Oct 26, 2020 8:16 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Sun Oct 20, 2019 1:39 am

solemnlysworn wrote:https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18608148

A small amount of research has been done on musical preferences and personality, with some kinds of music being linked to antisocial behaviour. The argument is usually that music can sometimes cause antisocial behaviours, through rap, metal, violent lyrics etc, especially in adolescents (similar arguments are made for other media such as video games).

As a joking reply to this idea, people will say things along the lines of, "I wonder whether WWII would have still occurred if the Nazis and the Soviets didn't play video games and listen to metal. Same with Charles Manson.
^
Fallacy for sure, but I think the studies you refer to are deeply flawed.

In regards to violent video games:
Third variables such as the increase in domestic violence, mental illness, crime, lack of child supervision are all dramatically higher in low SES populations.
They also usually can't afford childcare and there's also a higher rate of single mothers.
That means that kids might be placed in front of the TV with video games to keep them from being in need of the close supervision they often require.
And easy to persuade children also have other links that come before being influenced by others or media
The problem wouldn't be the video games.

Also, if we're going to spend a moment in reality, well have to admit the amount of funding studies get, is based on popularity or how people "sell" their research.
^
People blaming media is way more popular than adults (parents, teachers, social workers, funding projects, mental health and addictions workers, social assistance, healthcare...) taking personal responsibility for the upbringing of children.

As for music, pop music and other soft agitates the $#%^ out of me and makes me want to bash my head into a wall (and no I'm not willing to do that for any of you) ------ but when it comes to metal and violent music, I love it and often find it soothing (as I've said at least once before).
There's no such thing as too heavy for me, yet I'm the most harmless and benign person here.
Bitches Be Tripping. They're me - I'm Bitches.  ~ unknown
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Oct 26, 2020 4:16 pm

Postby solemnlysworn » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:23 am

Datura, babe

Why are you talking so much

-- Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:25 am --

Here's the thing--

The study only shows that kids with antisocial behaviours have been linked to certain kinds of music. It doesn't say that the music causes the behaviour or antisocial behaviour means you'll end up listening to harder music. It doesn't take into account that kids in certain cultures listen to that kind of music ubiquitously. You listening to heavy music doesn't mean some kids might be negatively affected by it either. Nor does it mean people weren't bad before that media was available. You mentioned fallacies and there's a couple in your thinking

All I wanted was for some music to be posted and see how people's taste has changed over time. Can we do that?
Hello friend
solemnlysworn
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Oct 27, 2020 12:16 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:31 am

solemnlysworn wrote:Datura, babe

Why are you talking so much

-- Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:25 am --

Here's the thing--

The study only shows that kids with antisocial behaviours have been linked to certain kinds of music. It doesn't say they cause it. It doesn't take into account that kids in certain cultures listen to that kind of music ubiquitously. You listening to heavy music doesn't mean some kids might be negatively affected by it either. Nor does it mean people weren't bad before that media was available. You said fallacies and there's a couple in your thinking

All I wanted was for some music to be posted. Can we do that?

I always talk a lot.

I also said my own first comment was fallacy.

I was involved in a bunch of discussions about this a while back elsewhere, so in my mind I was responding to that along with this.

I didn't realize that you just wanted music to be posted.
My mistake.
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby solemnlysworn » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:32 am

Were you always into harder music?
Hello friend
solemnlysworn
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:35 am

I switched from pop music to harder music during the last year of elementary school.
I went progressively heavier as I got older and I also incorporated classic rock as I got older.
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby solemnlysworn » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:37 am

Was it letting you express something you couldn't irl, like this forum might do for you
Hello friend
solemnlysworn
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:42 am

solemnlysworn wrote:Was it letting you express something you couldn't irl, like this forum might do for you

Yes.
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby solemnlysworn » Sun Oct 20, 2019 3:45 am

What was it that you were getting through?
Hello friend
solemnlysworn
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Sun Oct 20, 2019 4:06 am

solemnlysworn wrote:What was it that you were getting through?

I still listen to it so I'm not sure what you mean.
In early adolescence it expressed sadness or grief or self pity or something and background music to my self-destruction.
Then despair. That's all I'll answer of those early years.

By mid to late teens it was more about hatred and enjoying self destruction.
Now, I no longer particularly self-destruct, but I find aggressive/violent music very grounding.
Same with people with "heavy" energy (obviously not to the extent of a serial killer - which I described as having heavy energy.
Why were you rude to me a couple comments ago?
Do my posts annoy you?
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

PreviousNext

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post