Our partner

Faking Mental Illness for Attention

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Faking Mental Illness for Attention

Postby ShaolinMonk » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:19 pm

Is this not in the DSM?
What does it?
What is the purpose?

Does it give those that engage in this activity 'meaning?'
ShaolinMonk
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:44 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Faking Mental Illness for Attention

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:21 pm

ShaolinMonk wrote:Is this not in the DSM?
What does it?
What is the purpose?

Off the top of my head, the DSM has Somatoform Disorders which are physical I believe.
From my understanding, they're a manifestation of anxiety or other neuroses like the need for control - although I'm sure we both know that the DSM doesn't normally include causation (aside from disorders like FASD).
The DSM also lists Malingering, but that's related to getting out of responsibility.

Outside of that, perhaps it's about finding creative ways to meet a need.
~DaTuRa.Ad.Nm
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Oct 13, 2019 3:44 pm

Postby Oblivion » Sun Oct 06, 2019 4:31 pm

I do it for the gov't benefits. So does Reaper.
Kids need to know they suck.
Oblivion
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:44 pm

Postby Reaper » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:50 pm

Oblivion wrote:I do it for the gov't benefits. So does Reaper.

Yes, I have faked mental illness for that reason, not AsPD though. The AsPD diagnosis I got is legit. Besides, I highly doubt you can get on government benefits with that anyway. Well, you can, as long as there are other co-existing disorders and/or medical issues.

Faking mental illness just for attention is pathetic. I personally don't see the point, unless the attention they want is sympathy, but they won't get that with AsPD. I think people fake AsPD because they want to be seen as tougher and more rebellious than they truly are. Some people, especially the younger generation, seem to think that's cool. If they actually lived with it they'd realize that it's a shltty disorder to have.

- Is getting fired from multiple jobs cool because you keep doing impulsive shlt or continually self-sabotage, even though you know you need the money?
- Is it cool being evicted from your home because of your behavior associated with drugs and alcohol, so you end up having to either live on the streets, or ask others if you can stay with them temporarily when they may not even want you there?
- Is it cool to be ostracized, not just by society but your own family, because they've given up on you and have decided that you're not worth their time anymore?
- Is it cool to be thrown in jail or prison because you did stupid shlt without thinking, or knowing that jail/prison is almost inevitable because you can't seem to stop doing stupid, reckless shlt?
- Is it cool being on a path of self-destruction, knowing there's no real hope for you because you just keep fuking up your life time and time again?
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:44 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Sarandipity » Sun Oct 06, 2019 5:58 pm

In 20 years of having mental health services help on and off I have never come across anyone who has "faked mental illness for attention" In a group once there was a woman who cut herself up, one woman had a go at her and said she done it for attention and then the woman smirked but cutting herself for attention is not faking the illness she has or had - she could be dead by now, she was old - she still had something wrong with her brain to do that to herself. I think the only reason there's very little physical self harm (someone scratches when nervous and causes small bruises) with me as an overall person is because of the strong amounts of self preservation I have due to the more selfish parts. Paul didn't want to respond to you because he sees it as giving this attention and you're clearly bagging him out calling him a liar every time you respond to him. He came here to chat and maybe get some help if that's possible not to be attacked because you see him as the weakest fish in the room and I think he's right - scorned victim trolling people you blame for how you are, which is unclear how you are because you're too busy trying to prove you're a big scary shark for anyone to gauge what's going on with you - and using me to do it (who clearly is the weakest fish in the room - or that's the sociopath in me barring like a sheep, I'm not sure now).

Because of how I am I do see both sides. I see how victims facilitate being abused due to perceived "weakness" ie emotions and fear etc and they need to take responsibility for how they are to stop being abused but I can also see that abusive people if avoided are no longer a problem because victims can heal and recover where people who have an empty void often have it harder because they need to fill that void and do so by acting out in dangerous ways or by victimisation of others.

Can I fuse the divide in myself between these two types of personalities, I don't know because I also have other parts who are neither victim or attacker. They are just pretty much "normal" and then all other fragmented parts who carry trauma so it's possible but complicated and before I try to do that I'd like to try to help the more antisocial parts - if that's ok with you? LOL
Main IW:
Obsidian
Beth KarenPatrickPeterRose
No-one Paul and Lilly
Terra Magicka: The Twins (Batcho and Fortune)Sue the secutary. Jane, a general memory bank.
(Silent Lake : The Overlord/Mr BrightsideThe Whisperers (whisper whats outside), The Lightbringers (shine on parts to front), Martin and Janet (children with tails and wings)).
Sarandipity
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby justonemoreperson » Sun Oct 06, 2019 7:33 pm

If people with Munchausen's feign illness to get attention, I can't see why they wouldn't also do it using mental illness.
I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Sarandipity » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:50 pm

justonemoreperson wrote:If people with Munchausen's feign illness to get attention, I can't see why they wouldn't also do it using mental illness.

That is a valid point. I ended up in mental health services years ago because my mother took me there. As a kid it was blood tests even though she knew my room had damp but I ended up tested for alsorts. As I got to 19 it was "she's crazy" and I thought "I must be crazy" so yeah you have a valid point.

Also hypochondria could I suppose mean mental health. But then those are both diseases in themselves. Munchausen and hypochondria. I've just never felt anyone was faking that I've seen. I saw an alcoholic detoxing in a psychiatric hospital and I don't think he had mental health problems but obviously he could detox safer there and it might of been easier to get into a mental hospital than rehab I dunno but I didn't really think about if he "faked" his way in there. I guess he could have, I thought they were just letting him detox there but then that's not attention, that's needing physical help.

When my mother would take me hundreds of blood tests over a few years she wouldn't take me when my limbs were dislocated. So I don't think it was attention for her even. Parts of me at age 19 would say they were gonna make her pay and that's when the trapping me in the house happened so when I escaped she said I was "crazy" which I did have to physically attack her to escape and when the ambulance picked me up I didn't know who I was and I said I was hearing voices so I looked absolutely crazy. Then when my bf at the time came out of prison I ended up living with him. I don't think my mother's doctors trips were for her to have attention because if they were she would of took me when my knee and hip dislocated. Sorry I just trying to work out if she had some kind of attention seeking motives.

Yeah, Munchausen is an attention seek illness but it in itself is an illness. So it's a good point.
Main IW:
Obsidian
Beth KarenPatrickPeterRose
No-one Paul and Lilly
Terra Magicka: The Twins (Batcho and Fortune)Sue the secutary. Jane, a general memory bank.
(Silent Lake : The Overlord/Mr BrightsideThe Whisperers (whisper whats outside), The Lightbringers (shine on parts to front), Martin and Janet (children with tails and wings)).
Sarandipity
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby justonemoreperson » Sun Oct 06, 2019 8:57 pm

Sarandipity wrote:
Also hypochondria could I suppose mean mental health. But then those are both diseases in themselves. Munchausen and hypochondria.

You can't fake those for attention. If you do then it's not fake, as that's what they are. It's just a matter of degree.

Point is: there's no difference between faking mental or physical illness for attention.
I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:01 pm

DaturaInnoxia wrote:
ShaolinMonk wrote:Is this not in the DSM?
What does it?
What is the purpose?

Off the top of my head, the DSM has Somatoform Disorders which are physical I believe.
From my understanding, they're a manifestation of anxiety or other neuroses like the need for control - although I'm sure we both know that the DSM doesn't normally include causation (aside from disorders like FASD).
The DSM also lists Malingering, but that's related to getting out of responsibility.

Outside of that, perhaps it's about finding creative ways to meet a need.

To correct myself FASD isn't even in the DSM-5.
They've listed it as "Neurobehavioral Disorder Associated with Prenatal Alcohol Exposure" in the chapter, "Conditions to Further Study" aka it's not a money maker unlike many disorders they came up with and introduced.
~DaTuRa.Ad.Nm
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Sun Oct 06, 2019 10:16 pm

To correct myself FASD isn't even in the DSM-5.
They've listed it as "Neurobehavioral Disorder Associated with Prenatal Alcohol Exposure" in the chapter, "Conditions to Further Study" aka it's not a money maker unlike many disorders they came up with and introduced.

(pressed submit before I meant to)..

Concerning because a large portion of the corrections populations is thought to have ASPD, but there are even more believed to have FASD.

FASD can some serious overlap such as impulse control, not responding to normative treatment attempts, etc - meaning that there is probably a major overdiagnosis of ASPD within those populations.
Which works really well if the current DSM doesn't technically acknowledge FASD since in the other catagory, they can demonize, turn their backs and throw human beings away.

To correct myself, they no longer call the section Somatoform Disorders.
It's "Somatic Symptom and Related Disorders" because maunchausen and m. by proxy (which is now called a type of Factitious Disorder) apparently aren't true Somatoform Disorders.
It also has Conversion Disorder (old war time Hysteria),
Hypochondria, psuedo seizures etc.
And, Malingering appears to be a symptom (can be seen in some Cluster-Bs among others) rather than a disorder.

-- Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:21 pm --

Also, many people think people with FASpectrumD are easily identifiable, but there are countless people with no visible or day-to-day behavioral definers.
~DaTuRa.Ad.Nm
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post