Our partner

Diagnosis vs a butt-plug

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Diagnosis vs a butt-plug

Postby ZeroZ » Tue Oct 01, 2019 3:51 pm

What I mean is how much of a pain in the arse was your diagnosis procedure? I’m familiar with a few stories and they sound quite exhausting and aggravating and in some cases traumatizing. I have had it quite easy in comparison to most here. I get the impression some people have been squeezed through the ringer and Harbour a bit of resentment. How do you feel about that
ZeroZ
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:43 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Diagnosis vs a butt-plug

Postby Reaper » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:07 pm

I was in therapy for approximately 6 months and went through a lot of testing, which was interesting to some degree. Getting a diagnosis explained why I am the way I am (to some degree anyway), but I don't think it was very helpful in general. I don't like that it's on my medical record and I've asked to have it removed, but the doc refused to remove it.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:43 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby justonemoreperson » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:20 pm

As a kid I went through a whole pile of stuff, as they tested different theories. Didn't really mind the process, most of it was just tests and questions; mostly scenario based and more interesting than school.

I was put on a couple of drugs at various stages, one of which f*cked me up and I found myself zoning out so much that I couldn't really do anything and kept falling asleep. I don't remember what they were.

This never really came to a conclusion until I was court-ordered to go through a set of tests etc and this was very different. The docs had a different manner and it was clear they weren't that interested in me and more in ticking boxes.

I do resent the process, more so when I look back on it than at the time. At the time it didn't really dawn on me how much of a pain in the arse it would become and how much it would 'identify' me.

It identifies 'me' as a diagnosis when I go to the doctor, which I very rarely do. It also identifies me with people who know and have had problems with me. Once people know of your having a condition like this, then it can be used as an explanation for everything and it's "all the psychos fault."

In reality, yes I've caused problems for people but it doesn't happen in a vacuum.
I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:43 pm

Postby Moloko » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:41 pm

I started seeing shrinks in the military in my early twenties. That went on for over ten years. I've seen about seven different "professionals" and they all had a different label they assigned me. I took the advice on behavioral modification and haven't seen another in quite some time. Definite pain in the ass. Dated one that I knew from high school for a bit. She was pretty @!@@@! up. I think a lot of them get into that line of work to solve their own issues.
Moloko
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:43 pm

Postby saucygirl31 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:42 pm

ive been through mucho sht and no PD diagnosis im one of the most healthy personalities here.
ur grill saucy.
saucygirl31
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:43 am

Postby justonemoreperson » Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:47 pm

Moloko wrote:She was pretty @!@@@! up. I think a lot of them get into that line of work to solve their own issues.

Without a doubt.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Aeva117 » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:00 pm

I've gotten so many random diagnoses from therapists and psychiatrists over the years that I don't put much stock in it. I actually attempted to get one psych fired because she made absolutely insane diagnoses and accusations within 20 minutes of meeting me. Luckily, I'm well-versed enough in mental health issues that I told her to her face how out of line she was, and never saw her again. But somebody more vulnerable could be really @!@@@! up by her, and this was a college health center psych, so lots of kids who don't know any better. I've also been dumped by 2 psychs for being "too severe for them to handle", which was a little damaging in itself.

I've been in therapy for most of my life. I don't think it's done anything in terms of "healing", but it keeps me more stable. The diagnosis is fairly irrelevant to me, it's about managing problematic symptoms and getting practical outcomes.
Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) all grown up
Aeva117
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:43 pm

Postby justonemoreperson » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:05 pm

Aeva117 wrote:I've also been dumped by 2 psychs for being "too severe for them to handle", which was a little damaging in itself.

I was asked to apologise to one counsellor when in school, as I asked too many difficult questions and upset her. I must have been about 8 years old. I said I'd apologise but when I went in I just laughed at her because I knew it upset her the last time I did it.

If you can't handle an 8-year-old kid, you shouldn't be doing the job.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby cinnamoncookie » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:17 pm

Aeva117 wrote:I actually attempted to get one psych fired because she made absolutely insane diagnoses and accusations within 20 minutes of meeting me.

I've had this happen too, without the firing part. It felt more like a psychic reading than a professional drawing a conclusion after doing research.
cinnamoncookie
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:43 am

Postby Moloko » Tue Oct 01, 2019 5:20 pm

The individual probably wasn't all that bright to begin with. So many aren't.
Moloko
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:43 pm

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post