Our partner

Principle of Cause in the God Equation

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Principle of Cause in the God Equation

Postby ShaolinMonk » Fri Sep 27, 2019 9:13 pm

JOMP wrote:
Seems to me that if 'god is not partial,' as it says in the Bible, then everyone would feel it.

Paloma Faith said that we all have a "god-shaped hole inside us," but I think mine's healed up.

Sounds more like schizophrenia than faith

A 'God shaped hole inside us' : begs the question of what created the sensation of a hole, and whether or not your experience of existence suggested that at any point in time a sensation of that hole.

Explain your meaning: " I think mine's healed up."
ShaolinMonk
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:41 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Principle of Cause in the God Equation

Postby justonemoreperson » Fri Sep 27, 2019 10:49 pm

ShaolinMonk wrote:From : 'Causes' and principles
JOMP wrote:
Seems to me that if 'god is not partial,' as it says in the Bible, then everyone would feel it.

Paloma Faith said that we all have a "god-shaped hole inside us," but I think mine's healed up.

Sounds more like schizophrenia than faith

A 'God shaped hole inside us' : begs the question of what created the sensation of a hole, and whether or not your experience of existence suggested that at any point in time a sensation of that hole.

Because we're aware of our own mortality, people are searching for meaning; something that gives their existence some form of purpose. This is what the 'god-shaped hole' is; a need to be more than just a flesh and blood shell that has a limited and pointless existence.

Explain your meaning: " I think mine's healed up."

It was just a flippant comment to show I have no interest in believing in fairy tales.
I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:41 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby saucygirl31 » Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:20 pm

what created a sensation and whether or not there was a sensation ..

contrary to what he just said, I think what he actually meant was that there is a part of him that is foreign to himself. a part of him that seems to not fit into this world. this sensation was created from the mere point that he exists as a human, and he feels it whenever he moves a muscle. its like an itch he can't scratch, and will likely die with.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-P_aPXP8qys

[Intro]
Uh..

[Verse 1]
Got no card, so I got not soul
Life is prison, no parole, no control
The jura got my number on a wire tap
Cause I jack for Similac, ###$ a Cadillac
Survive, one motive no hope
Cause every sidewalk I walk is like a tightrope
Yes, I know my deadline, sire, when my life expires
I'm sendin paper south under the barbed wire
The mother of my child will lose her mind at my grave
It's my life for their life, so call it a free trade
"Por vida" and our name up on the stall
I took a death trip, when I tried to cross the white wall

[Hook]
Walk unseen past the graves and the gates - born without a face
One motive no hope, uh - born without a face
Walk unseen past the graves an the gates - born without a face
One motive no hope, uh, - yeah, born without a face
ur grill saucy.
saucygirl31
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:41 pm

Postby ShaolinMonk » Sat Sep 28, 2019 4:35 am

Because we're aware of our own mortality, people are searching for meaning; something that gives their existence some form of purpose. This is what the 'god-shaped hole' is; a need to be more than just a flesh and blood shell that has a limited and pointless existence.

I think some are, and others are barely aware of it. Mortality is a concept that lacks depth of meaning. Soldiers and those that have survived near misses will have different answers.

Purpose?
"a need to be more than just a flesh and blood shell"
How do you know you are not? What if you are?

I cannot conceive of a God who rewards and punishes his creatures, or has a will of the kind that we experience in ourselves. Neither can I nor would I want to conceive of an individual that survives his physical death; let feeble souls, from fear or absurd egoism, cherish such thoughts. I am satisfied with the mystery of the eternity of life and with the awareness and a glimpse of the marvelous structure of the existing world, together with the devoted striving to comprehend a portion, be it ever so tiny, of the Reason that manifests itself in nature.

(Albert Einstein, The World as I See It)

Do you perhaps fear/ feel uncomfortable with the uncertainty?

That you are aware of yourself; How does it feel?
ShaolinMonk
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby justonemoreperson » Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:29 am

Most people are aware of it. In fact, there's a well-established philosophy that tells us that everything that man has done beyond basic survival is out of a fear of death and an attempt at longevity.

ShaolinMonk wrote:How do you know you are not? What if you are?

I have no idea and that's what we should find interesting and a process for further development. God people don't do that, god people "know" the answer and so anything else becomes an irritation that's marginalised and ridiculed within their own ranks.

I thrive on uncertainty, which is why I find glassy-eyed zealots pig-ignorant.

Do you perhaps fear/ feel uncomfortable with the uncertainty?

Like I said above: I like uncertainty and enjoy contemplating the obscure. However, I benchmark that with reason. There is no reason with religion. People say there's reason to it, but there's none to be found because it's purely an emotional instrument.

People have god because they need god; they can't exist without having some certainty and control over the underlying fear of their own mortality.

I get it, but it's cowardly; hiding beneath the sheets because you're scared of the monster under the bed. Get up, switch the f*cking light on and take a look under the bed and you'll realise that maybe there is no monster.

Then, you can stop blindly believing some story that, in another context, would be ridiculous to you.

Once you cast that aside then it doesn't take anything away from you, what it does is open you up to a whole universe of possibilities, unrestrained from ancient thinking.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby saucygirl31 » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:45 pm

jiggajiggajiggajiggajiggajiggajig

WITH THE LIGHTS OUTTTT
ITS LESS DANGEROUSSSS
ur grill saucy.
saucygirl31
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:41 pm

Postby ShaolinMonk » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:22 pm

Ok, aware of mortality in terms of a tombstone. But that doesn't take into account, quantity vs quality of life.
To live 1000 years in a crippled body? Not something I would choose.

I have no idea and that's what we should find interesting and a process for further development. God people don't do that, god people "know" the answer and so anything else becomes an irritation that's marginalised and ridiculed within their own ranks.

Aetheists don't do much better either. Extremes of belief on either end tend to come across as severely dysfunctional deluded thinking.
I thrive on uncertainty, which is why I find glassy-eyed zealots pig-ignorant.

In a sense uncertainty becomes the only known. Which means letting go of outcomes as they may be premised on incorrect data.

As with many things, the more that is learned, the less that is known. Errors even in sciences, is that when the error in previous theory has been found, so much is built upon it, that it is costly to toss it all out. And the error compounds.
Like I said above: I like uncertainty and enjoy contemplating the obscure. However, I benchmark that with reason.

It has been hypothesized, based on early cave paintings, that the genesis of God is related to guilt.
What do you think?
ShaolinMonk
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby justonemoreperson » Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:32 pm

ShaolinMonk wrote:Aetheists don't do much better either. Extremes of belief on either end tend to come across as severely dysfunctional deluded thinking.

I agree and I consider true atheism as much of a religion as the god-fearing ones.

It has been hypothesized, based on early cave paintings, that the genesis of God is related to guilt.
What do you think?

Makes sense. Religion served the same purpose back then as it does now - it creates a society that has laws. If those laws are made by man, then they're transitory, but "if big fire mountain get angry when people not work hard in field" then those laws have longevity and are passed down from generation to generation.

So, people get conditioned into believing and behaving in a certain way, which conditions the conscience.

Jews don't eat pork. More importantly, they feel guilty if they do. Christians don't.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ShaolinMonk » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:08 pm

I agree and I consider true atheism as much of a religion as the god-fearing ones.

Agreed. Precluding the possibility is no better than blinding oneself.
So, people get conditioned into believing and behaving in a certain way, which conditions the conscience.

May in part explain the controlling mechanism of shame and shunning as well. Often those that reject a belief system, do it in such a violent and senseless manner, regardless of how ridiculous the system is/was. But in the rejection of it, they tend to become more farcical and fanatic about it at the same time. In essence, merely replacing it with something else, but still held to the original by the mental gymnastics of rejection.

Similar psychological process of conditioning or more correctly indoctrination is in effect at present, and the proponents are completely unaware that it is no different than a religion or cult at the core of it.

So, that leads round to where and how God, may or may not factor into the equation, and whether or not, God is the correct term to discuss the idea thereof, let alone how it may be proven to manifest or not?

If God exists, beyond the current conscious awareness, how could the existence be known?
( It couldn't, but others will swear a blue streak that they are absolutely convinced that God exists, but not in the religious sense of the God that is fought about in present times )

Do you think it is an error to reject the idea of God, or is it religion that is/was God's undoing in the human awareness?
ShaolinMonk
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby justonemoreperson » Sat Sep 28, 2019 3:44 pm

The main issue is the certainty of knowledge.

Every religion has one thing in common: certainty. Every religious person 'knows' they are right, ignoring the fact that every other religious person knows they're right too.

Reasonableness tells us that, if there were a god, we'd have no way of knowing anything about it.

We're much more advanced than a bug, but try explaining your nature to a bug. Even with our superior intellect, we have no way of making that bug understand what we are.

For god to be as great and powerful as 'he' is, there's no way we'd ever be able to comprehend what that might be; he'd exist in many more dimensions than we do and we'd have no mechanism of describing that or even conceptually understanding its nature.

And, in the same way, it would have no way of interacting with us, because there would be no common ground; nothing that could be done to demonstrate it's cause an effect.

And so certainty of religion humanises god. We talk about god as a 'he' and we talk about him being angry or happy or just or powerful etc. All human abilities and attributes. We describe ourselves being made in god's image but how could that even be possible?

It's not. Does god exist? Maybe, but one thing I am certain of: he / it / whatever bears no resemblance to anything we can come up with.

We are the bugs and god is the person, shining a torch and watching us scuttle beneath the fridge. It might be able to affect us, but as for understanding what it is and what it wants? Not a chance; just wishful thinking to manipulate and control.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum