Our partner

'Causes' and principles

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

'Causes' and principles

Postby solemnlysworn » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:05 am

Most chatter here understandably is quite egocentric in nature. Given the condition and format, it's going to happen. I'm curious about whether there are things you might actually care about, even if they might not conceivably affect you or happen in your lifetime.

For instance, maybe you disagree with our contribution to global warming or you think people ought to be able to live in a certain way with rights given to them or that you want humans to one day reach mars. Perhaps you very much disagree with abuse against children or animals. Do you donate to a charity or any kind?

I'm wondering, besides the more self-centred attitudes displayed, if are there things that you might care for outside of yourself.
Hello friend
solemnlysworn
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:50 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: 'Causes' and principles

Postby ZeroZ » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:09 am

I do care about things other than myself, the issue for me is when it becomes an issue of doing something that becomes an inconvenience for me. Do I care enough to actually follow through and do anything about it? That’s the real question, in real life I’ll tell you I do but in reality I’m not so sure
ZeroZ
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:50 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Reaper » Wed Sep 25, 2019 5:25 am

I care about my daughter, but it's a conditional kind of caring that comes with expectations. I care about her like a prized possession, like I own her. The only difference is, I don't think I would give much of a shlt if she died.

Maybe a part of me would care, I don't know. The thing is, I've thought about her dying in so many different ways - murder, suicide, accident and it doesn't make me feel anything.

I told my mother once that a part of me would probably feel a sense of relief if my daughter died, and she got angry at me and told me I shouldn't think that way. This is coming from a mother who often threatened to strangle me when I was a kid whenever I pissed her off. I thought she'd be understanding, but no.

I also care about my freedom, but not so much that I'm unwilling to risk losing it. You gotta take some risks in life.

I don't know what else I care about, aside from myself I mean.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:50 am

Postby Squaredonutwheels » Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:03 am

I would like to leave something for people living in the future. Something so that they may understand why we did what we did and who we where. Flaws and all.

The timing of this post is interesting. Thanks for asking.

Guess gonna make a change in how I spend my time now.
Squaredonutwheels
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:50 am
Blog: View Blog (13)

Postby justonemoreperson » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:07 pm

Like most people, I care about the things that make me feel good and belong to me.

Things outside of that, like climate change etc., I really couldn't give a f*ck about, although I'll often take a stand on some of the principles to look like a decent person, to debate a point or to f*ck with someone.
I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby saucygirl31 » Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:54 pm

moderating is volunteer work, sometimes help out at local food panty, used to go on mission trips w my church, and if ppl drop sht on the ground ill pick it up and give it to them.

at the place where I live I basically act like a staff member by helping cook, helping out the guys with cigarettes when they don't have any, and help put together wardrobes that have shtty instructions w my tool kit.
ur grill saucy.
saucygirl31
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:50 pm

Postby xdude » Wed Sep 25, 2019 3:15 pm

Very good question.

There are things I care about, though 99+ percent (really more likely a 100) of that is of course because it somehow benefits me in some way.

Then again I am a big believer in evolutionary psychology, and have been for two decades. I'm at peace with our genes drive us, so I don't think that is a problem. Nothing changes by seeing it that way, though it can upset some badly. Even goals to pass on a better life to the next generation, that is our genes speaking. We all just end up doing the same things regardless of the reasons behind it. Okay that is not entirely true.

If we believe we are altruists I think there is actually a greater risk of causing harm than seeing our own motives. Sort of... As always, black and white thinking can be a trap. There might be some cases of someone believing they are an altruist and doing something outside the norm that really is unusual or beneficial. The thing about evolutionary psychology is when there is a pattern such as believing I am altruist, it is probably there because it works on some level. It probably does help to survive in some way. How/why can be difficult to see, but who said we are good at seeing our own motives?

and @saucygirl, yea handing out a few smokes to people who are less well off, done it many times, probably just because it meant I won't be the next target, but if it means a few moments of peace for them, no harm done either.
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
xdude
Site Admin

Postby justonemoreperson » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:04 pm

There's a big difference between believing in something and saying that you believe in something. People say they believe in many things but not always because they really believe it.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby xdude » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:26 pm

justonemoreperson wrote:There's a big difference between believing in something and saying that you believe in something. People say they believe in many things but not always because they really believe it.

Not a disagreement, but I would say it this way ...

Somehow us humans ended up with two brains that are in conflict with each other. There is our intellectual brain that can embrace abstractions, that believes in "I am", that can do math, read words, plan ahead, make things that would otherwise never exist (e.g., lasers), that can do so many things it is hard to put into words. But this part of our brains cannot keep us alive...

There is also our primal brain, the part that keep us alive, without knowing why. It regulates our bodies, heart rate, works on keeping our enzymes in check, and much more.

The two are sometimes (often?) in disagreement about how to proceed.

When we communicate with others, both parts of our brain are in play, and for them too.

Integrating the two can be especially hard for people with cluster B personalities, but that's just because they tend to question everything. A good trait. It just comes with a cost. Personally though? I would much a prefer a convo with someone who questions then someone who does not.
We do NOT delete posts

Read the forum rules before posting here. If you are having any doubts about what you are posting, if you are thinking in the back of your mind, "I am going to want to delete this, or these details, later", remove those details, or step back and don't post until you are sure.
xdude
Site Admin

Postby justonemoreperson » Wed Sep 25, 2019 4:39 pm

It's more that we create a belief system that makes us someone who fits a pattern.

For example, take random person A:

"Do I believe in god? Really? I say I do, I go to church and I tell everyone I'm a Christian. But, do I? Do I really believe that some never proven force, created as an idea before we'd even seen our own planet, created and controls everything around us, when there's never been a single shred of proof? And that I just happened to be associated with the one true faith because I was born here? But, I do like the people who go to church, and they always agree with my point of view and bring cakes."

Random person B:
"I believe in ghosts, but only since my mother died". Do I? Have I seen any proof since then or do I just want to believe that she listens when I talk to her?"

Put on the spot, most people would agree that what they get out of their "beliefs" is comfort and familiarity.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum