Our partner

Psychopaths, Relationships and Happiness

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Psychopaths, Relationships and Happiness

Postby Reaper » Thu Sep 19, 2019 1:56 pm

I got this thread idea from a comment jomp made:

justonemoreperson wrote:It's changed my wife.

[...]

That said, it's also made her more resilient, self aware and confident in her own abilities.

I find it interesting that jomp claims his relationship with his wife has had a positive effect on her. I've read nothing but misery from people who claimed their partner was a psychopath, "He took all my money and destroyed my life blah blah blah". Mind you, it's never the psychopath who complains, always the 'victim', which is understandable if they were being used and manipulated. I don't think jomp uses and manipulates his wife. Instead he supports and encourages her by the sound of things.

Anyway, jomp's claims about his own relationship made me wonder if psychopaths can have healthy relationships. You would expect a psychopath to weaken their partner, not strengthen them. Mind you, I don't have enough statistical information about psychopaths in relationships to argue the point.

I'm wondering if anyone else has information on that or would like to share their thoughts on it.

On the other side of the coin, research has been done in how a psychopath feels in a relationship, and their level of happiness in general:

The study revealed that the higher a participant scored on the psychopathy spectrum, the less happy they tended to be. The participants with psychopathic tendencies were also shown to be less satisfied with their lives, and more likely to be depressed.

https://qz.com/819283/can-people-who-have-psychopathic-symptoms-feel-love-or-be-truly-happy/

My first questions are for the psychopaths among us and those with AsPD (If you don't know if you have AsPD/psychopathy but suspect you do, feel free to answer these questions as well):

- If you are in a relationship now and/or have been in relationships in the past, how well do you think you treated your partner/s?

- Has any previous partner ever bitterly complained about you after the relationship ended, to the point of warning others about you?

- Do you enjoy being in a relationship with someone. Would you say you are/were relatively happy while in one?

- Why did you choose to be in a relationship with someone?

- Are you satisfied and happy with your life in general?

These questions are for everybody else to answer:

- What do you enjoy the most about being in a relationship with someone?

- If you're not interested in forming an intimate relationship with anyone, can you explain why?
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:57 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Psychopaths, Relationships and Happiness

Postby saucygirl31 » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:25 pm

ur obsessed w the guy.

sex, the challenge of molding/training them, ego boost in the sense that what i do to them "matter". ill answer one of the other questions - they have warned others about me, particularly in my cheating, my getting the cops called on me. this was mostly in school where people talk. idk if im happy in one. it takes a lot of my time, but its entertaining at the very least.

- If you're not interested in forming an intimate relationship with anyone, can you explain why?

im not interested in the intimacy, in fact i cant even get a "cuddle boner". i literally need to rip her pants off to get an erection or push her down on her knees. kissing doesnt really do it either.
saucygirl31
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Oct 13, 2019 11:57 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby dobiedobiedoo » Thu Sep 19, 2019 4:33 pm

I doubt a psychopath would stay in one relationship for long. They tend to be under stimulated in most social interactions.
Regarding the research - it is well established that the primary subgroup is manifested in less stress reactivity and social alienation and greater positive emotionality. Basically, they can be happy/content without anyone at all.

I don't think jomp has clinical levels of psychopathy but I have no idea why you're nipticking on everything he says lately.
dobiedobiedoo
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:57 am

Postby Reaper » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:07 pm

dobiedobiedoo wrote:I don't think jomp has clinical levels of psychopathy but I have no idea why you're nipticking on everything he says lately.

Partly because I'm bored and don't believe he's a psychopath at all. Maybe he has traits of it, but not enough for a diagnosis of it in my opinion. And because whenever he says something that I think contradicts psychopathy, I like to point it out knowing it annoys him.

Maybe if he answered my fuking questions sometimes I'd find less reasons to pick on him...
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Reaper » Thu Sep 19, 2019 5:29 pm

- If you are in a relationship now and/or have been in relationships in the past, how well do you think you treated your partner/s?

Personally, I think I treated them just fine, but I think some might have a different opinion.

- Has any previous partner ever bitterly complained about you after the relationship ended, to the point of warning others about you?

I wouldn't know. I cut off all contact once I'm done with someone and I don't care to get acquainted with any new partner they get involved with.

- Do you enjoy being in a relationship with someone. Would you say you are/were relatively happy while in one?

I find relationships tedious and boring for the most part. I've been in plenty enough to know they don't hold much appeal to me. I only get in relationships to use people. I don't see much benefit to them beyond that.

To use people for financial or material gain.

Yes and no. I'm pretty much getting what I want - avoiding having to work in a boring ass job (and most legal jobs are boring), but with that comes less money and I do wish I had more money.

Admittedly, I like being lazy. I want things without having to put the effort in to get them. I guess life doesn't quite work that way, but I have other ways of getting things without having to work too hard for them anyway, so it usually works out in the end.

I don't think I need to change much to be happy. I'm pretty content with myself for the most part.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ZeroZ » Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:22 pm

As the most psychopathic person here I’d like to state that these are all official and clinical answers so please try to play it cool ok? No fan mail it’s flattering but I just don’t have the time!

I treat my partners well, thank you and you’re welcome.

- Has any previous partner ever bitterly complained about you after the relationship ended, to the point of warning others about you?!

My previous partners all bitterly complained about me while we were dating, which is unreal seeing how great of a guy I am. They usually miss me and want to get back with me after they leave.

At times mainly in the beginning I am happy they are happy all is wonderful, then things get mixed up

I don’t know, someone to talk to besides myself, a sexual partner, I like to play around a lot so it helps when there is someone to play with.

No, I’m never really happy or satisfied with anything

These questions are for everybody else to answer:

Gives me something to do

NO
ZeroZ
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:57 pm

Postby vcrpamphlet » Sun Sep 22, 2019 7:56 am

Reaper wrote:These questions are for everybody else to answer:

Sex, conversation, mass-scale silliness.

Objectively I'm a hypocritical wanker that hasn't been socially plugged-in for so long that regular living feels unnatural, other-dimensional, and pointless. Would be an unfair burden of adjustment on someone else before I snap out of the b*llshit on my own - and even though you become attractive to some girls when they see different sides of you, it's not like those things can be reliable while you're still smoking a Q most days (let alone when you're also bipolar). Druggies usually need to be clean for a good year or more before dating makes sense.
vcrpamphlet
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby justonemoreperson » Sun Sep 22, 2019 8:35 am

Do people choose to date?

I can't remember ever deciding to go looking for a relationship; they've always kinda just happened.
I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Oct 13, 2019 10:57 pm

Postby vcrpamphlet » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:34 am

The difference is you get to pretend you're in control when really you're an un-datable wreckage.
vcrpamphlet
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ZeroZ » Sun Sep 22, 2019 10:43 am

justonemoreperson wrote:Do people choose to date?

I can't remember ever deciding to go looking for a relationship; they've always kinda just happened.

Yeah, I’ve gone through phases where I’d date like a sort of numbers game. Try to keep 3-4 going figuring it increased my odds of finding a decent human it never worked out but it was fun for a little while
ZeroZ
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Oct 13, 2019 5:57 pm

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post