Our partner

take me to church. not.

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
Attention Please. The AsPD FORUM IS CLOSED.

The AsPD forum is closed for an indefinite period of time pending discussion of member usage, and relevance of the forum, and for revision of the forum's policies. We ask that you NOT to take AsPD threads and discussions into other forums here. This will result in being permanently banned from the forums and will only result to a longer period of forum locking or a permanent shut down. Please respect the safe spaces that those forums represent for other members here.

The Team

Re: take me to church. not.

Postby Aeva117 » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:00 am

Nope, raised in an atheist household. I think anybody who believes in a god is ######6 delusional.
Reactive Attachment Disorder (RAD) all grown up
Aeva117
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Sep 19, 2020 4:59 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Greebo » Mon Aug 19, 2019 3:42 am

I wasn’t really exposed to religion much growing up. My mother took me to the Sunday school of the local baptist church when I was about 4(?) because she felt her outlook was to bleak for a child. From what I remember we were shown a cartoon of some bible story which upset me and caused me to burst into tears. Neither of my parents tried mixing me with religion again.

The local vicar, whom I often ride with, jokingly refers to me as a lapsed pagan which probably isn’t a bad description. My sense of wellbeing is intensely tied up with a connection to the natural world but it is purely a felt thing, not a cognitive belief.

I usually get on well with religious people, if only because I tend to view their beliefs as a matter of personal agency. Curiously the way people describe me in the real world often has a subtly religious tone, wise or sage instead of intelligent or clever, zealous instead of driven, and so on.
Greebo
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:59 pm

Postby justonemoreperson » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:08 am

Greebo wrote:
I usually get on well with religious people, if only because I tend to view their beliefs as a matter of personal agency.

Generally, I find religious people harder to get on with. First, because i find it really difficult to understand how someone can speak with certainty about something with no substance. It seems like a child making you serve imaginary tea to a circle of imaginary friends and getting upset if you don't get involved. It's a complete reversal of common sense.

Secondly, it tends to stop them being themselves, where they seek to find openings to preach. As such, genuine conversation and sharing of ideas becomes a sales process with an agenda.
I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Sep 19, 2020 9:59 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Oblivion » Mon Aug 19, 2019 12:24 pm

Greebo wrote:My sense of wellbeing is intensely tied up with a connection to the natural world but it is purely a felt thing, not a cognitive belief.

That's it right there. As it should be.
Oblivion
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ArchCannon » Thu Aug 22, 2019 5:59 pm

I was always an atheist. My parents and grandparents were heavily though. So I took catholic sacraments. But nowadays even my parents stay away from church.
They have something to believe in, and that is all they need.
It's not that much. But it's also everything.
ArchCannon
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:59 pm

Postby poxalis » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:02 am

it was an annoyance i was resigned to in my youth. my parents believed i'd open to portal to hell in my house by playing with yugioh cards and preached about the evil nature of pokemon cards to the youth service.

however, i have no issue taking advantage of the free things offered at church. i'll take it all with a smile. handouts, secular themed meetings, childcare, and etc. i can nod and bow my head like all the others. i won't whisper their cult prayers though. i let them "repeat after me" until their brain bleeds and i stand alone in a field of idiots.
poxalis
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ArchCannon » Fri Aug 23, 2019 3:00 pm

poxalis wrote:it was an annoyance i was resigned to in my youth. my parents believed i'd open to portal to hell in my house by playing with yugioh cards and preached about the evil nature of pokemon cards to the youth service.

Wow, sounds pretty hardcore.
They have something to believe in, and that is all they need.
It's not that much. But it's also everything.
ArchCannon
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Sep 19, 2020 10:59 pm

Postby ZeroZ » Fri Aug 23, 2019 4:02 pm

poxalis wrote:it was an annoyance i was resigned to in my youth. my parents believed i'd open to portal to hell in my house by playing with yugioh cards and preached about the evil nature of pokemon cards to the youth service. .

I think this is why some people are so actively against religion in some parts. I don’t know where you were raised but for me some people went to church some didn’t, I can’t really remember religion being shoved on me, so I never understood the intolerance some have for religion, not saying that you don’t I’m just saying some in general. I think if I had someone trying to condem me to hell for playing video games or watching cartoons as a kid I’d be pretty anti religion too
ZeroZ
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Eight » Sun Aug 25, 2019 2:29 am

We went to church. My mother was the choir director. It was all a show and the hypocrisy was very easy to see if you had an insider's view into our home life. I got confirmed (that was important to me for my own reasons) and then stopped going.

My grandmother was religious and pretty strict about her beliefs. But, unlike my parents, there wasn't a disconnect between her church life and her private life - no hypocrisy. She believed it and she lived it. That impressed me.
Eight
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:59 pm

Postby poxalis » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:55 pm

ZeroZ wrote:
poxalis wrote:it was an annoyance i was resigned to in my youth. my parents believed i'd open to portal to hell in my house by playing with yugioh cards and preached about the evil nature of pokemon cards to the youth service. .

I think this is why some people are so actively against religion in some parts. I don’t know where you were raised but for me some people went to church some didn’t, I can’t really remember religion being shoved on me, so I never understood the intolerance some have for religion, not saying that you don’t I’m just saying some in general. I think if I had someone trying to condem me to hell for playing video games or watching cartoons as a kid I’d be pretty anti religion too

Yes, I do hate christianity... as much as I can hate anything. I think it's a big cause for my withdrawal into self. I feel like I'm always waiting to be judged. I spent most my childhood hidden in my room, hiding my true self, and now spend my adulthood hidden in my house. Trying to conform to society is just too stressful and there is no benefit. I don't believe there are others who I can feel similar to. I join groups--not religious--and always feel like I'm bending over backwards to just not attract attention. Trying to empathize or share emotions feels idiotic and disastrous. My emotions shrivel up inside me, in snow so deep I can't even see them. I simply have belief they exist.

There is a sickness I have, born from the inability to express, to be me, to connect. My head was bowed forcefully from emotional manipulation. The few times I attempted truth they told me they feared for me. That the devil was after me. They told me that pearl because I said damnit at 16 after someone shot me in a video game. Their wide, glassy eyes boring into the side of my face. I did everything in hiding. Shoving Harry Potter under my pillow in fear I'd get caught. Secretly watching South Park after my parents fell asleep. LOL! It's so STUPID! But here I am, empathetically retarded because of it. :/
poxalis
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

PreviousNext

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post