Our partner

How much were you exposed to weapons and violence as a kid?

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

How much were you exposed to weapons and violence as a kid?

Postby Gauss » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:05 am

^as above
could be in any form
Gauss
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:16 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: How much were you exposed to weapons and violence as a kid?

Postby solemnlysworn » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:16 am

military exposure through my father, hunting, boxing and judo, through the family. Knives used for fieldcraft with my dad to teach me how to skin and prepare rabbit, pheasant and whatever else, along with snares, knife or blunt methods of killing them. Rifles and shotguns used fairly regularly for shooting.

Otherwise, in terms of violence, other than getting into fights and enjoying a scrap, not too often. I was generally the more violent person as a kid. On the more harmless side, used to love going hunting with nothing but sticks and rocks for duck. Mentioned it I think some time last year when I did it again for fun. Would try to stalk and capture foxes as a kid. Silly stuff like that.

In terms of domestic violence or school violence or more generally socially, I didn't really experience anything odd. As kids I saw and was involved in bricking and bottles and whatever else but it's just a garden variety case. of boys fighting over nothing.
Hello friend
solemnlysworn
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Reaper » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:53 am

There are strict gun laws in Australia, but we always had guns (rifles and shotguns) and I think most of our other relations had them as well. We used to go out hunting animals - rabbits, pigs, kangaroos. I remember someone visiting once and showing us this submachine gun he had. I thought it was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. I used to really like guns back then (and still do to some degree), but I got more into knives as I got older.

As for violence. Guns were involved in that too, but only used as a threat.

My mother and her boyfriend came home late one night after work, drunk as usual, and were arguing over some bullshlt or another. They always argued when they were drunk, which was pretty much every night at that stage. I spent many a night in my room having to listen to it. Things escalated on this particular night and hits were exchanged. Then he ordered us all out of the house, went and got a gun and pointed it at us. My mother tried to calm him down and told him that we'll leave.

When we started walking down the road I remember her saying to us (my brother and I), "Don't look back, just keep walking" because he still had that gun pointed at us. All the while I'm thinking, he could shoot us at any moment. I don't remember being scared though. I don't remember feeling much of anything except the cold air on my arms because I was dressed in light bed clothes and no shoes. We had to walk all the way into town and stay the night with these people we knew. I'll never forget that night.

There was another time where my mother's boyfriend got into argument with these dudes at a bar we'd all gone to (I spent a lot of time around bars as a kid). They'd been playing together at the pool table, making bets. One of the other guys there accused him of cheating or some shlt. I can't remember what it was over. I just remember money being mentioned, like the dude had been conned or ripped off or something. My mother's boyfriend told us to go out and wait in the car. So, we're standing out at the car and he comes out too in a little bit and joins us, and next minute this dude he'd been arguing with comes out of the bar as well and he's got a gun in his hand, pointing right at us. I don't know if he was thinking of shooting all of us or just my mother's boyfriend, but he seemed angry at everyone. Words were exchanged and we eventually got in the car and left.

There's been other instances where shlt's happened, but most of what I saw as a kid was drunken, domestic violence. That's life I guess. Shlt happens, you deal with it and you move on.
I don't look for trouble, I am trouble.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Aug 23, 2019 11:16 am

Postby saucygirl31 » Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:59 pm

no violence at all just guns and hunting.
ur grill saucy.
saucygirl31
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:16 am

Postby cinnamoncookie » Sun Aug 11, 2019 1:05 pm

Weapons, not at all. The police walks around with a small gun in their holster and it's not like my parents didn't own kitchen knives but that's about as close as I got to seeing them irl.
cinnamoncookie
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:16 am

Postby IDeerInHeadlightsI » Sun Aug 11, 2019 5:47 pm

Pretty much from a toddler onwards. House was robbed when I was three and sleeping. The robbers cut themselves on the glass and bled all over my toys. I had blood stained toys for years afterwards.

Most notably my grandfather and step father were incredibly violent. Growing up with my step father there were always weapons hidden under everything, specifically guns but also splattering of knives and knuckle dusters.

I've had three guns pointed at me by non family members. I've been in the middle of two crossfires between the police and gangs. Had numerous knives against my kidneys and throat. Just every day RSA things.

Hunting doesn't really count.
About as wanted as a potato. Completely unappreciated when in abundance but when in short supply...
IDeerInHeadlightsI
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Fri Aug 23, 2019 2:16 am

Postby Dazz » Sun Aug 11, 2019 8:28 pm

I'm from England, unless you're a posh boy like SS or from a criminal family, exposure to weapons is limited. My grandfather had/has an SA dagger, so whenever I was at grandparents I'd go into their bedroom and into the drawer he kept it and play around with it. Only other instance I can think of is that when living in some flats, the next door neighbour was ex-army, not sure what he experienced, but he was unhinged, which my mother knew, yet didn't seem to mind him looking after me and my brother at times, he had some guns and weapons I think (can't be sure), and he'd end up killing self with gun when police came for him for something I don't remember.

As for violence, typical boy stuff concerning the environment, similar to SS I was more violent person as a kid, that people like my brother would exploit to get a reaction out of me where I'd attack, including one attempt I remember to impale my brother with a shovel, but he slammed glass door shut as I lunged towards him and so glass shattered and my rage dissipated...my dad is also far too emotional and gets angry pretty quickly, I have images in my head of him rubbing my moms face into dog water bowl, but I don't know if it actually happened, but in my younger years the image/feelings was pretty vivid.
Dazz
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ArchCannon » Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:23 pm

I used to train karate. But I'm not really a fan of like violence (or sports for that matter) so I dropped it.
As far as weapons go, as a kid I liked when my uncle showed me his guns and knives left from the times when he was in the military. I've also been hunting ducks and boars with him. And even at a shooting range a few times. But I guess I've grown out of it I guess.
...eyes covered in pink and bleach
ArchCannon
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:16 am

Postby Greebo » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:01 am

I grew up in the sticks proper so I guess firearms were more part of the cultural landscape there than they are in other parts of the country. My maternal grandfather has been heavily into falconry for as long as I’ve known him, he used to hunt game to feed his birds. My grandparents on the other side have the estate in Scotland which requires a fair amount of management including the annual deer cull. But while I was aware of those things, they were more part of the background of my childhood than things u was overtly exposed to early on.

I wasn’t even allowed toy guns as a young child and any contact I had with real weapons was always under very controlled conditions. I also remember that hunting was presented as utilitarian rather than sport.

My experience with firearms mostly came later as a cadet. In particular my involvement with shooting proper began when I got involved with the inter-service rifle contest. My father, having always been quietly disappointed by my failure to take competitive sport in any way seriously, got involved with gusto and went about getting me as much schooling and experience as was available privately.

In terms of violence, I did TKD, karate and judo early on though that’s only really violent in the broadest possible sense. Most of the violence proper involved groups of kids running around the countryside and hitting each other with sticks. Later I’d pick up Krav and MT which I’d carry on with for about ten years as well as toying with so of the sillier systems.

I guess the other place I was exposed to violence in a way was through my father’s work. He often worked with people who had been quite seriously traumatised so I was undoubtedly more aware of the price of violence, if not it’s reality, than other well cared for children of a similar age.
Greebo
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby justonemoreperson » Mon Aug 19, 2019 5:24 am

Wasn't really exposed to much of either as a child. My parents tried smacking me as a child, as was the way back then, but it stopped as it had no effect. Some of my family on my mother's side had weapons, mostly shotguns, as they were farmers and used them for pest control.

I found violence frustrating as a child, as it was always stopped and marshalled, so my highest exposure to 'better' violence was in high school, where it was more common and often ignored.

I went to a high school away from the city centre and there was another school about half a mile away which was, for some insane-child-logic reason, our 'enemy'. Occasionally there'd be some organised attack, where the grunts of our school would head over there to attack the other school and their collection of illiterate Mungos would hear about it and come out to meet the invading hoard.

These were always great fun, as you just got to fight whoever you found and the enemy was clearly identified by uniform. It took some time to realise that most of these expeditions were more bluster than substance and most of those who headed over there ended up just standing around smoking or going home.
I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post