Our partner

Bad experience with therapist

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Re: Bad experience with therapist

Postby Oblivion » Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:29 pm

It's sometimes very hard to get proper mental health coverage through most insurance plans, especially Medicare, which is generally for old people who usually don't need to see therapists.

My co-pay for therapy is $40. That's $160 per month, which is too expensive for me. So I have to settle for a free clinic. Luckily my therapist is acceptable, but the resident psychiatrist is a dickhole.

Once I called my ins. co. looking for a therapist who was in their network. They gave me an address that was nearby, so I walked there. It turned out to be a nursing home.
Function is the key.
Oblivion
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Aug 22, 2019 7:01 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby justonemoreperson » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:10 am

Physical illness is easy to treat - you get better, accept a life of disability or die.

Mental health is significantly more difficult to treat because there is no objective test; it's all talking and trying to glean the truth from a warped perspective. Plus, everyone is mentally ill these days; if you're sad you're depressed and if you're happy you're depressed and hiding it, which gives everyone a potential excuse if they need one.

Genuine people with real issues have to battle to get seen amongst the pathetic and lazy. On the other side, because there are no objective tests for most of it, anyone can have an opinion and be a therapist; most of it is trial and error. Very rarely do you get significant positive results that can be measured, so failure is expected and tolerated.

Hmm...maybe I should become a therapist; seems like a license to print cash.
Last edited by justonemoreperson on Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:23 am, edited 2 times in total.
I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:01 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Trivago » Wed Aug 14, 2019 5:16 am

Hit the nail on the head there JOMP. Dare say, Youtube is another platform that is already exploding with all sorts of therapists. What can't be made up for in education can be readily faked or ' borrowed.'

Learned a great deal from my therapissed.
Trivago
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby justonemoreperson » Wed Aug 14, 2019 6:26 am

There seems to be an isolating effect with people undergoing mental health issues; they feel that they are unique in the way they feel.

Therapists can increase this, as they represent a person who doesn't feel like them and represents a pedestal they cannot reach. The issue then becomes defining and a reason why things can't be done.

I think that for many, social therapy is the better option (this forum being an example to a degree), where people with similar issues discuss what they deal with in practical terms. It stops the condition being unique and removes it as an excuse as to why things can't be improved.

Sometimes people do need a kick up the arse, but it needs to be done by people who are peers, not "betters."
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Trivago » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:11 am

Agreed.
In certain contexts, lancing is the most effective measure.
Unpleasant to a degree for some I am sure, and for others cathartic.
Trivago
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby solemnlysworn » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:13 am

justonemoreperson wrote:I think that for many, social therapy is the better option (this forum being an example to a degree), where people with similar issues discuss what they deal with in practical terms. It stops the condition being unique and removes it as an excuse as to why things can't be improved.

Sometimes people do need a kick up the arse, but it needs to be done by people who are peers, not "betters."

Cool idea
Hello friend
solemnlysworn
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Trivago » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:19 am

I think that for many, social therapy is the better option (this forum being an example to a degree), where people with similar issues discuss what they deal with in practical terms. It stops the condition being unique and removes it as an excuse as to why things can't be improved.

Unfortunately, due to 'role playing' it isn't worth much. And that is not specific only to this forum either. It seems to be a rather wide spread phenomenon.

Mind you, having seen the outcomes of some that have gone that route, it's pretty damn funny.
Trivago
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby justonemoreperson » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:28 am

The other option is to make mental illness illegal, imprisoning those who are fruitcakes in specially designed prisons. I'd imagine that millions of depressed people would suddenly be a lot better and those who are truly ill would be miserable anyway, so locking them away would cost less and keep them out of other people's way.

It's a step back to Victorian Britain, where asylums housed the 'mentally hilarious' and everyone else got on with their lives, without coming up with non-provable excuses.

The nuthouses would be better than previous, with doctors and therapists concentrating on those who are truly ill, it would eliminate the pseudo-therapists, as no one would be game to admit they're f*cked in the head, and it would severely cut the cost of care.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Trivago » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:32 am

Which brings back round, to 'depressed' vs fked in the head. Where to draw that line? Do you base it on the effect to the individual or on others?
Trivago
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby justonemoreperson » Wed Aug 14, 2019 7:40 am

I guess it comes down to whether or not your brain allows you to get on with a regular life. Most people don't like depressed people, although they'd not admit it, and tend to remove themselves from their company, as they become really irritating over time.

Depressed people only seem to affect themselves (and possibly those they land on) whereas other conditions directly affect others due to crazy violence etc.

Maybe put them in a stadium, charge people to watch, and then give them all acid and speed to see what happens.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

PreviousNext

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post