Our partner

Thoughts on Death as Death?

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Thoughts on Death as Death?

Postby TheUnknownofall » Sat May 18, 2019 4:45 pm

With this, I mean not of what you think of afterlife or what happens before.

Plain and simple, what is death to you?
Also yes, I am talking in real general terms not limited to animal, action or else.

Pherhaps what is the first thing that comes in mind, or what you see it as.
User avatar
TheUnknownofall
Consumer 2
Consumer 2
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu May 09, 2019 5:45 pm
Local time: Mon Jun 17, 2019 3:31 am
Blog: View Blog (1)


ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Thoughts on Death as Death?

Postby Manners73 » Sat May 18, 2019 4:50 pm

Final.
User avatar
Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 822
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:46 pm
Local time: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:31 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Thoughts on Death as Death?

Postby Brandon1 » Sat May 18, 2019 4:56 pm

Death is a loss of life, obviously. I try to avoid death.
User avatar
Brandon1
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:35 pm
Local time: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:31 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Thoughts on Death as Death?

Postby justonemoreperson » Sat May 18, 2019 4:57 pm

As a child I was taken to church, but it didn't take long to realise that if you search for truth you can't stop once you get an answer you like. As such, belief in any described god becomes irrelevant. Therefore, a theological afterlife is not possible.

I have two schools of thought that I believe to be most likely:

1. We just die. We know what death is like because when we sleep, not REM sleep but the real deep sleep, all consciousness stops, leaving on those autonomic functions to exist. At this point, our consciousness, therefore our 'being,' doesn't exist.

We live the following day, because the autonomic processes wake us up and the conscious connections begin again. Death means our body dies and the autonomic process to revive the consciousness stop, so consciousness never restarts. If our consciousness leaves to go somewhere else, then it would also do so when we're in deep sleep. Therefore: Death = death.

2. The world we're living in is a simulation and we have no idea what the non-simulated world is like or what our purpose is. We could even be AI characters created to play out scenarios, either as entertainment or as some simulation to fix a set of problems.

There's a surprising amount of evidence for this and it seems to fit the facts. Therefore, the afterlife would either be extinction if we're NPC's or possibly being woken up from some simulation to either the real world or a higher level if sim. Therefore: Death = there is no spoon; I mean, death.
I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 10017
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:02 am
Local time: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:31 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Thoughts on Death as Death?

Postby Brandon1 » Sat May 18, 2019 5:17 pm

justonemoreperson wrote:As a child I was taken to church, but it didn't take long to realise that if you search for truth you can't stop once you get an answer you like.

You can if the answer is true and you like it.

1. We just die. We know what death is like because when we sleep, not REM sleep but the real deep sleep, all consciousness stops, leaving on those autonomic functions to exist. At this point, our consciousness, therefore our 'being' doesn't exist.

No. To be is to exist and consciousness is only one aspect of our existence.

2. The world we're living in is a simulation and we have no idea what the non-simulated world is like or what our purpose is. We could even be AI characters created to play out scenarios, either as entertainment or as some simulation to fix a set of problems.

Explain how that's a possibility.
User avatar
Brandon1
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 419
Joined: Sat Nov 17, 2018 1:35 pm
Local time: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:31 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Thoughts on Death as Death?

Postby Manners73 » Sat May 18, 2019 5:22 pm

justonemoreperson wrote:As a child I was taken to church, but it didn't take long to realise that if you search for truth you can't stop once you get an answer you like. As such, belief in any described god becomes irrelevant. Therefore, a theological afterlife is not possible.

I have two schools of thought that I believe to be most likely:

1. We just die. We know what death is like because when we sleep, not REM sleep but the real deep sleep, all consciousness stops, leaving on those autonomic functions to exist. At this point, our consciousness, therefore our 'being,' doesn't exist.

We live the following day, because the autonomic processes wake us up and the conscious connections begin again. Death means our body dies and the autonomic process to revive the consciousness stop, so consciousness never restarts. If our consciousness leaves to go somewhere else, then it would also do so when we're in deep sleep. Therefore: Death = death.

2. The world we're living in is a simulation and we have no idea what the non-simulated world is like or what our purpose is. We could even be AI characters created to play out scenarios, either as entertainment or as some simulation to fix a set of problems.

There's a surprising amount of evidence for this and it seems to fit the facts. Therefore, the afterlife would either be extinction if we're NPC's or possibly being woken up from some simulation to either the real world or a higher level if sim. Therefore: Death = there is no spoon; I mean, death.


When I was a lot younger I used to wonder whether I was just part of someone else's dream.

If I am it's a very long and boring dream. They must be in a coma.
User avatar
Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 822
Joined: Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:46 pm
Local time: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:31 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Thoughts on Death as Death?

Postby justonemoreperson » Sat May 18, 2019 5:36 pm

Brandon1 wrote:You can if the answer is true and you like it.


You can't say it's true without evidence and religion, by definition, has no evidence.

To be is to exist and consciousness is only one aspect of our existence.


We're not talking about the physical part of our existence, because afterlife presupposes that your physical body has died.

Explain how that's a possibility.


If you're interested, use Google.

Manners73 wrote:When I was a lot younger I used to wonder whether I was just part of someone else's dream.

If I am it's a very long and boring dream. They must be in a coma.


As a species, we're obsessed with simulation. We spend trillions every year and devote hours of our week, every week, immersing ourselves in non-reality. Simulations are getting better by the month, and VR hints at the possibility that one day we'll be able to create a virtual reality experience that's indistinguishable from reality. If we will, which we will, then what are the chances that we're doing it for the first time? As you say, it invades our dreams.
I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 10017
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:02 am
Local time: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:31 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Thoughts on Death as Death?

Postby Oblivion » Sat May 18, 2019 6:09 pm

Personally? An end. The end. It's that simple.

The end of a meaningless cycle. Fertilizer. A little more cash for the medical/funeral industry.

The best part will be finding out I was right about God.

justonemoreperson wrote:The world we're living in is a simulation and we have no idea what the non-simulated world is like or what our purpose is. We could even be AI characters created to play out scenarios, either as entertainment or as some simulation to fix a set of problems.

There's a surprising amount of evidence for this and it seems to fit the facts. Therefore, the afterlife would either be extinction if we're NPC's or possibly being woken up from some simulation to either the real world or a higher level if sim. Therefore: Death = there is no spoon; I mean, death.


Seriously? Coming from you, this surprises me.
Oblivion
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 412
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:24 pm
Local time: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:31 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: Thoughts on Death as Death?

Postby justonemoreperson » Sat May 18, 2019 6:32 pm

Why?
I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 10017
Joined: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:02 am
Local time: Mon Jun 17, 2019 2:31 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Thoughts on Death as Death?

Postby Oblivion » Sat May 18, 2019 6:56 pm

Because it's nonsense.
Oblivion
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 412
Joined: Sun Dec 30, 2018 3:24 pm
Local time: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:31 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum




  • Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Bing [Bot] and 83 guests