Our partner

Are personality disorders even real?

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Are personality disorders even real?

Postby SoloZombie » Wed Apr 17, 2019 5:33 pm

Ok ok, relax alright. Before you shlt in your hat I’m not discrediting anyone’s struggle here including my own.

What I am getting at is are they a mental illness? There are a lot of conflicting opinions on this in the psychological community. What I mean is, is it a way to label people with unsatisfactory personality traits as pathological? People’s personality develop and change in small degrees throughout life as we learn from life’s lessons.

A PD is no different, there are many cases of people with ASPD diagnosed in their 20s that no longer meet the criteria 10 years later. The same for borderline personality as one becomes better at dealing with strong emotions.

I’ve been thinking about this a lot as a lot of my therapy sessions revolve around the way I think, percieve, and handle different situations. I’ve come to the realization that I don’t see my approach as wrong, it’s not the norm people find it strange I take care of myself and choose not to get deeply involved but I see it as an effective strategy.

So from my perspective I am expected to change to adapt to a society that I fundamentally disagree with to have any reasonable measure of success, as we live in a society that will turn on you and punish you for stepping out of your little box.I think I despise the fact that I have to do this to accomplish anything, and I despise myself even more for actually doing it, and believe me I’ve tried it all my own way and was headed for homelessness or prison, so it is what it is I guess.

What is YOUR experience.
SoloZombie
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Are personality disorders even real?

Postby Manners73 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:35 pm

I think my pd is real but being diagnosed with BPD as young as I was and then given no help was about as useful as a glass hammer.

You're right it is all too convenient to just stick a label on a person and file them away in a filing cabinet. It a way for absolutely nobody to take any further responsibility for anything past, present or future and personally I don't see the point in labels unless there is some kind of help/support to go along with it.

I don't know if in my case I have ever grown out of BPD but I've gone quite far in being able to mask it in public. I'm an absolute loon in private and I'm sure I'd be certified if anyone could see me. But I don't think I would be diagnosed these days for the simple fact that I do hide it so well to anyone that's not myself.

If left to my own devices in my ideal world (if you can call it ideal) I would have lived a full and active life committing crime. I wouldn't have my own home, family, and be financially ok.

Having a pd and living a somewhat functional/socially acceptable lifestyle means I walk a tightrope.
Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:20 pm

Postby Blueskywhitedove » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:11 pm

I think that personality disorders are not illnesses they are as they say disorders, something in the persons personality is not in order, which means there is something in the personality that causes harm to this person and/or people around him or her. So it's more like dysfunction than an illness. And my experience is that without this dysfunction (psychopathy) i would have had functined better and would not have done so much harm to others so i do agree with the society here that it's acceptable to recognize and try to treat personality disorders for the sake of the person and people around that person. Sure it's like just having too little something and too much something but that exactly causes the harm and that leads to the conclusion that it should be addressed correctly.
Blueskywhitedove
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 9:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Oblivion » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:23 pm

I've read several times that PD's are not considered to be a mental illness. Doesn't matter. It still puts me at a disadvantage. But in the 16 therapy sessions and 7 psychiatrist sessions I've had since January, the PD issue has rarely been brought up. OCD gives me most of the problems.

SoloZombie wrote:A PD is no different, there are many cases of people with ASPD diagnosed in their 20s that no longer meet the criteria 10 years later. The same for borderline personality as one becomes better at dealing with strong emotions.

I've read also that it's not uncommon for PD symptoms to diminish as we age. With AsPD, and BPD this may be due to the slowing down and mellowing as we age. Or maybe learning from mistakes and how to avoid the pitfalls. If anything exemplifies the act of 'making the same mistake over and over again', it's a personality disorder.

I always considered my PD traits to be an integral part of me. Even before I was old enough to be diagnosed, I had symptoms. Sometimes I feel that if my PD disappeared tomorrow, I wouldn't know who I was.

Nevertheless, I'm starting to feel my traits have a little less power over me. On Monday I actually made a phone call!

*bows*

crystal would have loved this thread if she wasn't rotting at the bottom of a well somewhere.
Oblivion
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Manners73 » Wed Apr 17, 2019 7:35 pm

I'm only just learning and coming to terms with my pd traits and to be honest I don't know how I've come so far being so f*cked.

People are forever pointing out to me that I'm emotional and aggressive. My simple answer is usually "well someone's got to be"

I've only ever had treatment for ADHD so maybe the meds for that has gone some to helping me.
Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby octopustentacles » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:10 pm

No. Just a way for them to take your money and drug you.

I hang out in the PD section just cuz.
octopustentacles
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby slither » Wed Apr 17, 2019 11:22 pm

How can personality disorders be real if Jaden Christopher Syre Smiths aren't even real question mark

-Alt0173
slither
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:20 am

Postby Greebo » Thu Apr 18, 2019 2:46 pm

They’re real in the sense that something like social class is real, they are a composite of objective and subjective social components.

If what you’re effectively asking is, if the members of the APA got up tomorrow and decided that AsPD was not, in fact, a thing, would it disappear? The answer is yes, but the clusters of observable behavioural phenomena would remain. Both homosexuality and the passive aggressive personality have been declassified as mental disorders under similar circumstances.

The really toxic aspects of PDs though are the various ‘theories’ as to why a PD exists and how it functions, which are regularly presented as possessing scientific validity but in many cases have no scientific foundation whatsoever. Psychodynamics is probably the worst offender in this regard as most of it is untestable and that which is often fails to stand up. In the vernacular of the natural sciences they are ‘not even wrong’. Realistically it’s archaic claptrap which is to a modern understanding of the brain as the Marxist and Austrian schools are to modern economics; of historical interest only. They persist because they provide largly unfounded but emotionally satisfying explanations and the ability to label those you don’t like as some kind of leper with impunity.

Equally a larger number of the ‘therapies’ used have horrifically low success rates. Much of the time patients are being sold sold snake oil then being told it’s their fault when it fails to work.

Personally I’m of the opinion that psychiatrist is a synonym for ‘not a real doctor’. The AIP forces me into psychiatric assements and my employer is keen on psychometric testing but beyond that I’ve never found much use for those who work in mental health or ‘therapy’. The normal people (and animals) I have in my life have always proven themselves to have greater practical value.

That being said I do think that if you reject professional help you do have to be prepared to take responsibility and be accountable for your own behaviour and situation. If I’m going to choose not to follow the beaten path, I expect to have to walk through some brambles.
Greebo
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Postby Squaredonutwheels » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:48 pm

Is a personality disorder even real?
Real? Personality?
A personality has to be "real" for it to be "disordered".

Is it gravity pulls us to the earth or is gravity a word? Even the laws of physics bind us, these laws make me "real". The math isn't realer than the real that the math models(?). Is a PD real? Well enough people decide it is just like they decided to call something gravity. In some cultures PDs traits might have had different names like jester, wiseman, warrior, wizard, priestess, witch. If you're on an island alone, you can call yourself a cornbreadildohead personality disorder if you want.

In a similar way to disney land and prisons existing to give validity to the realness of suburbia and fiat currencies, it's my opinion that "PDs" exist so that those outside of said designations can view themselves as sane or ordered. To believe that there exist a disordered personality; gives validation for the existence of an ordered personality, or even a personality in general!

It might sound extreme but from the rabbit holes I've been down.. "personality".. is about as real as trying to eat the C and O in cornbread. The "personality disorder" is the critical cornerstone that props up the belief that personality is even "real".

I'm not sure if our ancestors in biology and language even used the word "personality" like we do as frequently as we do, as obsessively as we do. As we began to use this word and lull it's meaning into existence, naturally the belief of a disordered personality also rose to prominence.

What's my experience of it?
Well I could expose the "reality" of the institutions I have had the pleasure of visiting but that's another story altogether.
Squaredonutwheels
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:20 am
Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby slither » Thu Apr 18, 2019 6:05 pm

SoloZombie wrote:What I am getting at is are they a mental illness?
Six things:

Symetry when needed
Asymetry when needed
correct ordering of asymetry and symetry
correct timing of Asymetry and symetry

and, of course, plan b and c.
__
To be ill is to be doing bad.
Mental is 2 sylables and 1 word
slither
Consumer 6
Consumer 6