Our partner

List your Weaknesses and Strengths

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

List your Weaknesses and Strengths

Postby vcrpamphlet » Thu Mar 28, 2019 3:18 am

The past few months have seen an unusual rise in the instances of 'weakness' being mentioned on the forum, so I'm curious how objective that focus is - how these sorts of things are discussed by ASPD with the benefit of open, clear resolution.

List your personal strengths and weaknesses in all their glorious, unedited, unsexy detail. Note: focusing on weaknesses and showing coyness with strengths is a narcissistic inversion - will create the opposite impression you were looking for. Not a pissing contest: more of a positive honesty exposé.

- Make a list of your weaknesses and strengths, providing examples where possible.

I'll post mine in the next day or two.
vcrpamphlet
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 23, 2019 5:23 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: List your Weaknesses and Strengths

Postby justonemoreperson » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:27 am

Strengths:

Lateral thinking / problem solving
- I see connections in my head and solve problems without internal language.
Entertaining
- Funny and engaging
Charismatic
- Tends to be short-lived when I want something.
Competent
- I've done more than most and continue to do new stuff.
Versatile
- Can pretty much turn my hand to anything.
Perceptive
- Out of necessity, I can usually get to the bottom of a person's motivation very quickly, although this tends to be deeper than most people do, so it takes a while to lead them to my conclusions. Less perceptive when it involves me.

Weaknesses:

Too rational
- Over analysis and rationality piss people off, because no one wants to know, for example, that their god is nonsense.
Unable to develop subtle emotional interpersonal skills
- I miss subtle but important cues when interacting with others, making some of my responses and reactions inappropriate.
Arrogant
- Tend to dismiss others' points of view if they're different to mine. Although once convinced, I'm able to accept.
Short attention span
- Very difficult for me to maintain interest in something over time
Too aggressive
- Get into fights are arguments and will often misinterpret a response as aggressive.
Complacent
- "It'll be fine"
Impulsive
- Plough ahead with something without planning
I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:23 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby vcrpamphlet » Sun Mar 31, 2019 10:05 am

This turned out being a good thinking exercise over the weekend. Keeping it to the 5 more influential features on each side, which account for most things.

Weaknesses

- Addiction
I'm addicted to marijuana like it's an opioid, I binge with alcohol and MDMA and benzos and oxy (the last few not so much recently), have been hooked on several areas of the internet, and have in the past been obsessive of a range of things, from guitar to movies to weight lifting, to an irrational level.

Weed causes me a gradual atrophy and depression that leads to a few borderline traits (anxiety, identity detachment), a swell in self-indulgent narcissism, and worsening bipolar swings - moves further towards entropy the longer it's been left typically - which makes reversing the down-swing, rebuilding and maintaining sobriety a bigger pain in the arse than it should be.

- Laziness/Procrastination
Developed a tendency to imagine better (possible) realities when I was young and had started to recognise how f*cked up my home environment was. As I got older and less anxious and began demonstrating certain positive attributes to myself, even if only to the smallest degree, this habit then moved to idealism, and I started to feel satisfied through just the imagining of hard work being done and a potential having been reached... pot - strong pot mixed with alcohol, especially - has the effect of placing this kind of indulgence into an overarching fugue state, incredibly hedonistic and vain, where just the potentiality alone is nearly an intoxication. I believe this has hindered progress through much of my adult life in one way or another, especially when jobless and addicted, as has been the case most of the past 3 years.

- Detachment/Deconstructiveness
Apart from with certain people I struggle to plug-in to 'the Matrix' of straightforward reality, stoner-phase or not. I know it's bullsh*t and mostly only there because I've been out of regular living for so long, but it's difficult finding anything worth 'really' caring about, when the eventualities seem either plain or obvious, and so on. This system of thinking seems to cycle with procrastination as dictated by its convenience to addiction (and all the twisted thinking therin) at the time.

Detachment has a usefulness in some situations, but it makes a meaningful connection with the world (career in particular) harder to build, and brings an impersonal edge to certain interactions. Real emotional concept-fusions are there, but it's a little easier to compartmentalise than you'd expect of someone healthy.

- Anxiety
Could easily write 10000 words about this f*cker. It's leaps and bounds better than it was through my early 20s, but it still comes back in the absence of exposure with certain things, like sex and public speaking - but it's never overwhelming like it used to be. Withdrawal psychosis still causes some relative peaks, but it's more a general neurosis than a pure anxiety - not inhibiting to anything important, but it's the closest to how things used to get when I'd quit and enter a mania, self-destruct, and spend the next 6 months trying to fix the neural wreckage.

- Depression in the literal sense
I'm fairly hopeless at helping myself in any meaningful way towards an improvement of circumstance, or any set life-goal. I struggle connecting with most things - animals are an exception - when it comes down to it, except the welfair of my sister, and staying alive. And there is a huge gap in my thinking where I can't readily connect with a daily routine the type of lifestyle needed to achieve the meaning that I lack - not while I'm within several weeks of being addicted and still repairing from the psychosis, anyway; which seems a good enough excuse to avoid the acuity of guilt.

It's a 'literal' depression because the depression most people talk about is an emotional pain; this is more a cancerous force behind the middling happinesses I sometimes experience, that works systematically to sink each newfound optimism in a tumulus of anhedonia (meditation has been no exception), unless I actively resist it.

Strengths

- Memory
My short term memory sucks at the moment, but been generally right-of-the-bell-curve since primary school. If I go to the effort of focusing on something, like an image or a passage of text, the retention seems more limited by mental energy than anything else. I'd say it's possible for anyone but depends on the encoding method (the memory house principle has been enormously successful in demonstrating this.)

- Muscularity
I respond to genuine tension extremely well, both mentally and physically. Whenever I've had a training partner - with the exception of one Sierra Leonian (sp?) refugee - I've always put on size and strength quicker; similarly, the way my cognition shrinks and grows, slows and speeds up, seems unusually responsive to stimulus (even factoring for periods of hypomania)

- General intelligence
I'm lazy with it, but it's stronger than is useful for most things and my lack of structure/addictive nature can make it an objective problem. One of the reasons I enjoy posting here is that many other members appear to have the same kind of thing, albeit differently organised; the fact of intelligence doesn't matter but it's useful in connecting why I like certain people and thrive on being so frequently misunderstood - not that I'm always right, of course.

- Actual strength
I struggle with structure and commitment and helping myself, but whatever fibrous substance it is that underlies a person feels extremely sturdy.

The last Vipassana course is an example: aggravated a glute tear and put my sciatica out a few days beforehand, but didn't realise how severe it was and did the whole course cross-legged the same as everybody else, which worsened the injury enough it took another 6 months to heal. The same resource accounts for getting out of a psychotic homelessness a few years ago and doing over thirty major detoxes while still working (total is closer to 60 now), without much change in optimism. Things still ebb and flow, however.

- Movie trivia
I'm good with movie trivia. Cbf writing anything else.
vcrpamphlet
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Squaredonutwheels » Sun Mar 31, 2019 12:02 pm

This thread is an exercise of how well you can pin point how others might perceive you and weight up against "public opinion".

It seems like term "weaknesses" is used to mean undesirable aspects when viewed through the lens of public opinion and "strengths" being aspects that are desirable through the lens of public opinion.

It's more about perception than intrinsic weakness and strengths because these words depend on the morals that they are connected to.
Squaredonutwheels
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby SoloZombie » Sun Mar 31, 2019 3:49 pm

When I have a therapy session and I talk about these sorts of things especially trying to understand reasons behind certain behavior and connect it to things that may be behind them in my past, I always leave feeling physically drained and weak, I go home and drink heavily too.

I’m genuinely curious how many people here find it helpful to think of this and does it lead to improvement down the line? Can you put thinking into doing?
SoloZombie
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:23 pm

Postby Manners73 » Sun Mar 31, 2019 5:24 pm

I know that I am an obsessive and that can work as both strength or weakness.

I'm acutely aware of my surroundings which I would see as a strength but I'm sure others see it as paranoia which is more than likely seen as a weakness.

I'm in good physical shape so there's a strength but not as in shape as I would like to be.

I don't know really.
Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby vcrpamphlet » Mon Apr 01, 2019 2:37 am

SoloZombie wrote:When I have a therapy session and I talk about these sorts of things especially trying to understand reasons behind certain behavior and connect it to things that may be behind them in my past, I always leave feeling physically drained and weak, I go home and drink heavily too.

I’m genuinely curious how many people here find it helpful to think of this and does it lead to improvement down the line? Can you put thinking into doing?

Wanting to drink afterwards is the sign of a good therapist. :) Facing demons takes a lot more effort than gets advertised, and depending on what you're dealing with, can make certain thought processes shakey and doubtful. Being objective about yourself corrodes the disorderly foundations of false confidence, gives you a healthier perspective, but there's a genuine pain to be felt through the adjusting phase. Something you thought was right is wrong; something okay was unacceptable; etc. - can take the floor from underneath a person.

All growth/development/healing involves some sort of discomfort or pain. Examining yourself, looking at faults/virtues/setting personal goals, is language more common to addicts than personality psychology, unfortunately. I find it makes the mess easier to approach and work through systematically - has a sort of auditing/defrag affect, where the viscosity of your personality clears up, and the moving parts become easier to see.

I've gotten the most out of it by not caring how it reads, it's not an opportunity to denegrate yourself - it's a reflection of present attitude of self-image. If we were being anal about things then it'd be down to the specifics of genes, and how gene 1 accounts for strength x, but is corrupted by gene 2 to produce weakness y, etc., but it seems better to work with the terms as you best interpret them.

I think that, if you actually want to improve in any way, this sort of exercise is essential.
vcrpamphlet
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Oblivion » Mon Apr 01, 2019 1:48 pm

weaknesses

1. Lazy, unmotivated, and hedonistic. I foster avolition in the name of comfort. I am well aware that my consistent failure to take the initiative when faced with boundaries or problems works to my detriment, yet I still favor the easy way out, which is never really a way out, it's just makes these barriers/problems worse.

2. I react to the negative consequences of the above by getting high, clicking on Netflix and licking my wounds.

3. I am bitter, angry and vindictive. I truly believe the world owes me, big time, because I am better than most everyone else and deserve to reap rewards without putting in the required effort. I view my pain as payment for which I am never reimbursed. For cover, I hold up my self-perceived virtuous nature as a mirror in which others can plainly see that they are not giving me my share.

4. I am overly introspective despite the fact that I maintain very narrow parameters in regards to my options and responsibilities. This reduces introspection to simple navel gazing. I exist in an echo chamber within an echo chamber.

5. Extremely poor self-discipline. I am aware of the consequences of my inaction or mistakes but I prefer to just brace myself for the repercussions rather than try to avoid them. This way I can place blame. I place some of that blame on myself, but, of course, that's the world's fault. I'm just an innocent victim.

Strengths

1. Potential/drive. I am aware of my faults and see them clearly enough to be able to reduce barriers into thin, penetrable membranes. As of now I don't act much further on this, but being aware of it is more than half the battle. I teeter on the precipice of something much much greater than what I currently am. I am able to use self respect and self esteem wisely enough to see my strengths and advantages without suffering narcissistic fallout.

2. Strength itself. People see me as strong. After many years of believing the opposite, I am just beginning to learn to use this to my advantage.

3. I'm a good person. While my mind may clutter itself with various bad and immoral thoughts, at the end of the day, I always do the right thing. I don't blame myself for these thoughts because I know they are just that, and I rationalize any lapses in morality by telling myself I'm allowed to slip every once in a while.

4. I don't allow myself to suffer regrets. There's too many, and there's no point. This gives me a clearer path toward optimism. I place great value on my goals and aspirations because this is the best way to move forward successfully.
Oblivion
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:23 pm

Postby vcrpamphlet » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:43 am

Not to turn it into a circle jerk, but I think your creative intellectual faculties are worth mentioning in that company, if only from an outside perspective. Verges on irrational not to.

Similarly with jomp, a standout feature is his intellect - but I guess others have made noise to the effect that his thinking is more marginal.

SDW has a point, actually, but I'm not sure it applies to all, or that any of it matters - but it still seems weird seeing two posters so identified with their thinking, not specifying their intelligence as a virtue.

Just say'n.
vcrpamphlet
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby justonemoreperson » Tue Apr 02, 2019 11:49 am

Intellect is irrelevant unless it can be applied, and application requires an understanding of your subjective point of view, or it becomes overly biased. For proof, have a conversation with any member of MENSA.

When I think of my strengths and weaknesses, the only way to see them as such without bias to my own subconscious is to identify those that have been visible to others.

In addition, the positive ones have been tested, as they have had positive and predictable results. The weaknesses are those I've had little control over and have had, on average, negative consequences.

Marginal thinking is closely aligned to intellect, because you need to be able to have the capacity to escape the binds of common belief to explore new options. Every great thinker has been labelled as a marginal thinker at some point; it's inevitable.
I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (1)

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post