Our partner

Distress intolerance

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Distress intolerance

Postby Brandon1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:57 pm

I have issues with this and it seems like a lot of you do as well, so here's a thread to discuss it and how you see it's impact on your life/overall well-being.

I get bored quite often. Sometimes I get so bored that I'll steal chocolate or pop from a store, even though I feel that it's wrong to do so. To avoid feeling guilty, I convince myself that it's what I need to do at the moment in order to make myself feel better... "It's not harming anyone in any significant way and it's helping me through a difficult period." Over time, by repeating this to myself, it became easier for me. However, these sort of actions are detrimental to my progress in life.
Brandon1
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Sat Feb 16, 2019 12:25 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Distress intolerance

Postby Manners73 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:32 pm

I used to take drugs and alcohol every day because I couldn't manage being bored.

I stopped because it was detrimental to my life.

I used to get into fights a lot for a similar reason. I used to get such a release of energy from it and I would feel so much better after. Never felt any bad feelings from it but as ive got older I understand that just attacking innocent people isn't really the right way to better myself in the long term.

I used to shoplift and thieve things because it was the way I was brought up. I just used to think I could take stuff and I didn't really care about the consiquenses. I've stollen from people who have shown me kindness as well as from shops and total strangers. I still get itchy fingers to this day but I just clench my fist and put my hands in my own pockets.

I never really cared about what I used to do but none of it was doing me any good.
Manners73
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:25 am

Postby easiersaidthandone » Mon Feb 11, 2019 3:40 am

I don't need to convince myself of anything. I understand right and wrong from society's sense, but I don't have an internal compass that tells me what I'm doing is wrong. So to me, acceptable behavior is what I can get away with.

You feel guilty for stealing chocolate? lol.
I don't fake it, I just make it.
easiersaidthandone
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:25 am

Postby Jonna » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:36 am

Brandon1 wrote:I have issues with this and it seems like a lot of you do as well, so here's a thread to discuss it and how you see it's impact on your life/overall well-being.

I get bored quite often. Sometimes I get so bored that I'll steal chocolate or pop from a store, even though I feel that it's wrong to do so. To avoid feeling guilty, I convince myself that it's what I need to do at the moment in order to make myself feel better... "It's not harming anyone in any significant way and it's helping me through a difficult period." Over time, by repeating this to myself, it became easier for me. However, these sort of actions are detrimental to my progress in life.

joke account or ten year old...option A, joke account
Jonna
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Feb 15, 2019 9:25 pm

Postby Brandon1 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 4:51 pm

Jonna wrote:joke account or ten year old...option A, joke account

Mind your manners or I'll kill you.
Last edited by Brandon1 on Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brandon1
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Postby Brandon1 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:13 pm

easiersaidthandone wrote:You feel guilty for stealing chocolate? lol.

Yes. :|
Brandon1
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Postby SoloZombie » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:17 pm

That was very distressing
SoloZombie
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby Brandon1 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 5:23 pm

SoloZombie wrote:That was very distressing

:lol:

Couldn't make up my mind. So many options, you know? Then add in the screw ups and you get a poopshow of a post. I simplified it now anyway.

-- Mon Feb 11, 2019 12:30 pm --

I gotta use the Jonna.

Brandon1
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Postby Manners73 » Mon Feb 11, 2019 6:46 pm

^^are you in to hard sports?
Manners73
Consumer 5