Our partner

Strange phenomena

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Strange phenomena

Postby Brandon1 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:15 pm

My mother and I saw lights flicker and a shadow in the outline of a person walk by in her house. I'd like to believe that there's a rational explanation for it, but we both witnessed what happened the same way. Shared hallucination? Very unlikely. Ghost? Who knows.

A few night prior, I saw a black figure in my mother's bedroom that appeared to be watching me in the doorway as I was sitting in the living room. It quickly walked behind the wall and when I went to look, it wasn't there anymore.

I've also woken up to what sounds like someone or something exhaling loudly in what seems to be a scare tactic. I was like "whatever" and went back to sleep.

Anyone have similar experiences?
Brandon1
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:05 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Strange phenomena

Postby justonemoreperson » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:26 pm

I've had a few unexplained incidents.

Three that stand out:

I had a small gift arrive in my house from nowhere. It appeared on my table at a time when I was living alone and no one else had been in the house while I was there. It was a small box of chocolates, wrapped carefully in coloured paper.

I once had an accident on a motorbike, where I took a corner too fast, the back wheel slid out from under me and I slid, along with my bike, across the road towards a brick wall against opposite traffic. My next memory was riding down the correct side of the road on my bike having suffered no ill effects to myself or the bike.

When I was about 6 I told my mother that her father had died. She got the phone call an hour or so later.

These are the most remarkable, and I still have no rational explanation for any of them.
I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:05 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Manners73 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:38 pm

I was in my early 20s and it was at quite a low time of my life.

I was washing my hair over the sink and I heard a voice say "don't turn round" it didn't scare me but I didn't turn round anyway and the next thing was my hands weren't my own, they were larger like mans hands and it was as though someone else was washing my hair.
Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby solemnlysworn » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:11 pm

Nothing-- which is why I'm so reluctant to believe others' 'unexplained' circumstances as anything other than plausible within the normal rules.

I've had lots of instances of 'knowing' something is going to happen or knowing something that nobody can find a good reason for me to have known but I put that down work being done in my subconscious and bubbling to the surface as intuition. Freaked my parents out as a kid a few times for knowing stuff I shouldn't and at church got ordained very early as having a gift for 'the spirit' talking to me. I've learned to just shrug it off and pretend that it was obvious and they were just missing something but most of the time I don't know any better than they do.

Prevented a few fatalities by waking up from sleeping across the backseats of a car to tell the driver "stop" and pushing people out of the way before a sheet of metal in gale wind storms came hurling towards the spot they were stood in, in the more dramatic instances. People seem to think that I hack them when we're online because of it. Went to a carnival once where the psychic made an intimation that I'm psychic. I accidentally alienate people when I say things that I thought were obvious that haven't been said. Hard to trust.

The stuff that people find unexplainable about what I can see or know is easily explained by just being perceptive. Never witnessed something that felt or seemed supernatural, despite concerted efforts to experience it-- Would go out late at night egging on supposed spirits and wishing something to happen. I think I'd like to believe
Hello friend
solemnlysworn
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Manners73 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:34 pm

I put my experience down to mental illness at the time but I never told anyone about it of course.

There was also an incident when I was about 16 years old. It was about 3 or in the am and I was on my own sitting on a children's playground. I must have been sleeping rough at the time because I can't think of why else I would be there.

Anyway the next thing I know I can see all these children coming from all different directions and they were making their way to the playground and they got there and just started playing. I just sat there for a while and then I got up and moved on and thought nothing of it.

It was only afterwards when I thought about it. How could I see them coming from afar when the playground was in a built up area and why did none of these children speak to each other and why could I remember their faces so vividly when they were just sting and paying no attention to me?
And what's more why would a group of children come go to a playground in the middle of the night JUST to play?

I swear that from that day to this I can't figure out what that was all about.
Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby ArchCannon » Fri Feb 08, 2019 11:45 pm

I honestly don't believe in the supernatural, because I have no reason to do so.
...eyes covered in pink and bleach
ArchCannon
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 7:05 pm

Postby Infinitesimal » Sat Feb 09, 2019 7:58 am

folie en famille - Family madness

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folie_à_deux

This is a shared psychosis, and notable examples are quite interesting
BTC: 1NmB4yxEUPfwVWskCSMigdHPy9i4kCtZDY
LTC: LXbB7U4XpXBx2FCuyYfoXdhUrr6Das3DaC
ETH:0xD170607D7Ac442Da67Be15753D2abda-
4247b6283
XRP: rDsbeomae4FXwgQTJp9Rs64Qg9vDiTCdBv - Destination Tag 96854920
Infinitesimal
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby SoloZombie » Sat Feb 09, 2019 3:27 pm

I personally believe in it, I’ve had some strange things happen that I cannot explain. I don’t believe it’s due to mental illness, just too many things that checked out, and other people having the same experience. Somehow knowing someone is dead before being told like jomp mentions is something I’ve had a couple of times in my life.
SoloZombie
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Brandon1 » Sat Feb 09, 2019 5:23 pm

Infinitesimal wrote:folie en famille - Family madness

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Folie_à_deux

This is a shared psychosis, and notable examples are quite interesting

This syndrome is most commonly diagnosed when the two or more individuals concerned live in proximity and may be socially or physically isolated and have little interaction with other people. Various sub-classifications of folie à deux have been proposed to describe how the delusional belief comes to be held by more than one person :

Folie imposée is where a dominant person (known as the 'primary', 'inducer' or 'principal') initially forms a delusional belief during a psychotic episode and imposes it on another person or persons (known as the 'secondary', 'acceptor' or 'associate') with the assumption that the secondary person might not have become deluded if left to his or her own devices. If the parties are admitted to hospital separately, then the delusions in the person with the induced beliefs usually resolve without the need of medication.

Folie simultanée describes either the situation where two people considered to suffer independently from psychosis influence the content of each other's delusions so they become identical or strikingly similar, or one in which two people "morbidly predisposed" to delusional psychosis mutually trigger symptoms in each other.

Folie à deux and its more populous cousins are in many ways a psychiatric curiosity. The current Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders states that a person cannot be diagnosed as being delusional if the belief in question is one "ordinarily accepted by other members of the person's culture or subculture" (see entry for delusion). It is not clear at what point a belief considered to be delusional escapes from the folie à... diagnostic category and becomes legitimate because of the number of people holding it. When a large number of people may come to believe obviously false and potentially distressing things based purely on hearsay, these beliefs are not considered to be clinical delusions by the psychiatric profession and are labelled instead as mass hysteria.

Interesting. I can definitely rule it out.
Brandon1
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Manners73 » Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:42 pm

I've had that thing happen where I know I've got a lighter in my pocket but I can't find it so I get a light off someone else and then I put my hand back in my pocket and low and behold my lighter's there.

The same thing happened with a packet of fruit pastels once as well.
Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post