Our partner

Am I in the right place?

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Am I in the right place?

Postby wynellis » Fri Feb 08, 2019 2:36 am

I was thinking tonight, and I think I may be a sociopath..The particular situation that made me think this is I hooked up with a coworker that was seeing someone. I told other coworkers, who know the girl, and they told her. She got mad at me, went off on me, but I don't care. I know I should care, because what I did was wrong, but I don't care. The most I care about is that I lost a friend, who is someone I have to see on a regular basis, but that's so selfish.

It's just situations like that one, where what I've done is morally wrong, but I don't care enough to try to make things better, I just let things happen. Am I just apathetic or is there something more probably going on?

And for everyone who'll tell me to go see a psychiatrist or whoever, I can't afford it. I struggle paying rent every month so I don't have the luxury of finding out for sure, all I can do is wonder, and getting second and third opinions helps me.
wynellis
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:30 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Am I in the right place?

Postby DaturaInnoxia » Fri Feb 08, 2019 5:30 am

No
DaturaInnoxia
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 10:30 am

Postby solemnlysworn » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:09 pm

Imagine if everybody who participated in cheating without care for the left-out party was designated a sociopath
Hello friend
solemnlysworn
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 6:30 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby justonemoreperson » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:16 pm

The more we discuss this type of stuff the more I'm convinced that the only real difference is the level of fear.

For example, no one really cares about breaking the speed limit by a couple of percent, mainly because the chances of being caught and the repercussions of the offence are low.

So conscience tends to get driven by the risk / fear ratio. If you can get away with it without being found out, many people would, and those who wouldn't are probably those who wouldn't 'get away with it', because they get 'caught' by their own conscience ("What would Jesus do?")

We behave because we fear the repercussions. We fear we might get caught, we fear we might lose friends, we fear we might lose a job or we fear that we might displease our god or whatever.

Without fear, we're left with no real motivation to behave or to consider consequence. So really, all psychopathy is, is a failure to be afraid of consequence. The rest is just common human nature.
I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Manners73 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:32 pm

wynellis wrote:I was thinking tonight, and I think I may be a sociopath..The particular situation that made me think this is I hooked up with a coworker that was seeing someone. I told other coworkers, who know the girl, and they told her. She got mad at me, went off on me, but I don't care. I know I should care, because what I did was wrong, but I don't care. The most I care about is that I lost a friend, who is someone I have to see on a regular basis, but that's so selfish.

It's just situations like that one, where what I've done is morally wrong, but I don't care enough to try to make things better, I just let things happen. Am I just apathetic or is there something more probably going on?

And for everyone who'll tell me to go see a psychiatrist or whoever, I can't afford it. I struggle paying rent every month so I don't have the luxury of finding out for sure, all I can do is wonder, and getting second and third opinions helps me.

I think you need to focus your attentions more on how to pay your rent rather than worrying about whether or not you're a sociopath.
Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Brandon1 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:39 pm

wynellis wrote:I was thinking tonight, and I think I may be a sociopath..The particular situation that made me think this is I hooked up with a coworker that was seeing someone. I told other coworkers, who know the girl, and they told her. She got mad at me, went off on me, but I don't care. I know I should care, because what I did was wrong, but I don't care. The most I care about is that I lost a friend, who is someone I have to see on a regular basis, but that's so selfish.

Do child molesters offend you?
Brandon1
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 1:30 pm

Postby Manners73 » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:59 pm

Manners73
Consumer 6
Consumer 6