Our partner

Disgust

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Disgust

Postby Vlad » Sat Jan 26, 2019 11:51 pm

Just checking in, felt like I needed to vent somewhere.

There's someone in my extended family / personal life who causes such a feeling of disgust in me it's not funny. At the risk of being too graphic in my post I have had extreme thoughts about them that I have not experienced in some time. They are diagnosed with bipolar disorder with schizophrenic tendencies, are for the most part unemployed and live on a sickness benefit. They have a tendency towards stunning levels of self-absorption to the point where I sometimes wonder if they were dropped on their head as a child, and/or wish they were dropped from a greater height. Even if compassion is not genuine you can at least have the basic intelligence to play the part right? They also have a tendency to distort facts in conversation, which I understand is par for the course with someone diagnosed with schizophrenic tendencies, but half the time it seems as though these facts are deliberately distorted and the person is not as delusional as they would have everybody believe. That's also part of the issue, I can't trust how accurate their diagnosis really is and whether they're exaggerating, malingering for pity and less responsibility.

Friends and family members I've talked to about this have basically said to cut the person a bit more slack because of their diagnosis, and I understand this is generally the way to see things but I don't know, I feel like part of the reason why they're so child-like is *because* they have been cut so much slack in life already. They are fifty-seven years old I believe, yet it often feels like I'm talking to a seven year old.

How best to handle such reactions and interactions if circumstances dictate I see them fairly regularly? I do enjoy seeing the rest of the family on the regular but I would rather just watch this person stop breathing.
Vlad
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:55 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Disgust

Postby thelivinghell92 » Sun Jan 27, 2019 12:00 am

Vlad wrote:They have a tendency towards stunning levels of self-absorption to the point where I sometimes wonder if they were dropped on their head as a child, and/or wish they were dropped from a greater height.

Vlad wrote:They also have a tendency to distort facts in conversation, which I understand is par for the course with someone diagnosed with schizophrenic tendencies, but half the time it seems as though these facts are deliberately distorted and the person is not as delusional as they would have everybody believe.

Could you give an example of the kinds of things they say and do which lead you to think they are self-absorbed and deliberately distort facts in conversation?
thelivinghell92
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 5:55 pm

Re: Disgust

Postby poxalis » Sun Jan 27, 2019 8:19 pm

move away? i can't stand these type of family things. where people continually force themselves around people they also want to constantly complain about. that is all my family does when together: complain and moan about the shortcoming of those not there. they all enjoy doing it so much they think it's normal. and then force themselves to spend a certain amount of time with each other. i have someone in my family exactly like yours (*exactly*), and they mostly get left out of things and the rest spend their time talking about WHY they HAD to not invite them. how ANNOYING it would be.

anyway, i only get around my whole family once every 2 or so years. i actually find the bipolar psychotic one the easiest to handle now. but maybe the majority of your family is more mature than mine.
poxalis
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Apr 22, 2019 12:55 pm

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post