Our partner

In your perspective, where's the line between abuse and ....

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

In your perspective, where's the line between abuse and ....

Postby NotAsCrazyAsIThought » Sat Dec 22, 2018 6:32 am

...respectively playing/joking to abusively toying with people.
... to just a needed and fair punishment, like a sibling hitting and scaring the kid, or maybe even restricting the child.
(I think the sensible nature of every kid makes it seem worse than it actually is, so kid grows up thinking it was abused)

where's the line that defines what's abuse and what's not for you?

Not only in these situations, but many others like jobs, familiar stuff, relationships etc.

Keeping in mind that it's an abuser and abused situation, some people are prone to have a victimist mindset, and then they blame everything and everyone around them, then everything is abuse. Or they're just more sensible and/or less tolerant, so in their perspective, it is actually abuse.

On the other hand, some abusers "hurt" others because they're more tolerant, and generally takes things less seriously, so in their mind they're not really abusing, but just friendly playing with others.

the parent who thinks is doing the right thing, but in the kid perspective, it's a horrible thing. Is an example
I come from a place where my language works very differently from english. Forgive me if I sound confusing or if I misunderstand anything.
NotAsCrazyAsIThought
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:31 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: In your perspective, where's the line between abuse and ....

Postby caspin » Sat Dec 22, 2018 11:13 am

NotAsCrazyAsIThought wrote:...respectively playing/joking to abusively toying with people.
... to just a needed and fair punishment, like a sibling hitting and scaring the kid, or maybe even restricting the child.
(I think the sensible nature of every kid makes it seem worse than it actually is, so kid grows up thinking it was abused)

where's the line that defines what's abuse and what's not for you?

Not only in these situations, but many others like jobs, familiar stuff, relationships etc.

Keeping in mind that it's an abuser and abused situation, some people are prone to have a victimist mindset, and then they blame everything and everyone around them, then everything is abuse. Or they're just more sensible and/or less tolerant, so in their perspective, it is actually abuse.

On the other hand, some abusers "hurt" others because they're more tolerant, and generally takes things less seriously, so in their mind they're not really abusing, but just friendly playing with others.

the parent who thinks is doing the right thing, but in the kid perspective, it's a horrible thing. Is an example

I joke around a lot but not with my family. Abuse is if you cant take the same treatment you are giving others.
Just one more soul. ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°) ◝(◕ ◡ ◕ )◜
caspin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:31 am

Postby Poisonchocolate » Sat Dec 22, 2018 1:13 pm

It becomes abusive when it continues even after the abuser is aware of the genuine discomfort it causes to the abused. If they aren't aware? Not abuse. If it doesn't truly cause genuine discomfort? Not abuse.
Poisonchocolate
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 5:31 am

Postby NotAsCrazyAsIThought » Thu Jan 03, 2019 3:00 am

I come from a place where my language works very differently from english. Forgive me if I sound confusing or if I misunderstand anything.
NotAsCrazyAsIThought
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:31 am

Postby Manners73 » Sat Jan 19, 2019 7:40 pm

I can never work out where one ends and another begins.

My brother used to beat me up when I was a kid. He was 5 years older than me but I never saw it as abuse and I still have a hard time in accepting that it was abuse.

I'm quite similar in a sence that I can be just playing with a person and I'm later told that I've been really verbally abusive and hurt the persons feelings and I've not noticed because I'm too busy having my fun.

It's a difficult question for me to answer.
Manners73
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:31 am

Postby solemnlysworn » Sat Jan 19, 2019 8:47 pm

Abuse is a loaded word. It's hard to define abuse. Intent is less important than consequence. Normative ethics play an important role. Abuse violates some underlying right somebody has and it causes harm.
Hello friend
solemnlysworn
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:31 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post