Our partner

Anti Social mindset

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Anti Social mindset

Postby Solowolfpack » Tue Dec 11, 2018 8:56 pm

Something I’ve been debating with a friend over, I’m not talking about criminal activity specifically, more about living your life to your own standards that go against the societal standards.

To be considered by a productive member of society in a lot of circles and from the governments point of view. It should look something like work most of your life away, get married, have a few kids buy a house pay taxes pay into social security, really spend your prime years working, which I get it you need to do to live. Never break the rules, then hopefully one day you live long enough to retire in your mid 60s early 70s by which time you will have some health problems, not be able to do a lot of things you could in your 30s and 40s. Maybe you make it 5-10 years and drop dead, they throw you in a dirt hole - the end.

The second scenario is you don’t work as much but make the time to do what you want, live life to your own standards, maybe you don’t have a big house, brand new SUV, latest and greatest phone, but you do it all your own way, and who needs a fuking retirement plan, the retirement plan is a massive cocaine fueled hear attack in your early 50s where you drop dead and they throw you in a hole in the dirt - the end.

Right now I’m living option one(kind of) it’s not satisfactory to me at all, I made a comment on the NPD forum I don’t enjoy anything and if feels like I’m waiting to die. I’m looking at the second option, one that’s been beat into my head as what losers and failures and scumbags fall into (no offense guys) but the deaper I think about it the more sense it starts to make.

How do you view your life, your path within society, are you happy with the way things are and how do you choose to live?
Solowolfpack
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jan 16, 2019 7:06 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Anti Social mindset

Postby justonemoreperson » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:05 pm

You're right that it's all about mindset. Both of those options don't, at least they don't need to, operate as a binary decision.

While you're working you're also doing what you want to do, because the money gives you options.

Basically, it comes down to this: When I get up at 6am to go to do a job, I don't set an alarm because I have to get up to go to work. I set an alarm because I choose to go to work.

If you see a working life as a prison-like bind, then it's probably because you see it as a forced activity. This has the result in your staying doing something you hate, because it's "what people do."

I've had jobs that I've not liked and they've not lasted long. I like what I do now and I see its benefit. It helps to keep me structured and gives me something to exercise my mind. It's just enough to do that without my having to work every week.

Both of those options you've listed limit you to a way of life that follows what others have done. Take a step back and think about what you really want / like and work from there.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:06 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Solowolfpack » Tue Dec 11, 2018 10:23 pm

I loved what I’m doing when I started I hate it now, just like l’ll hate everything else soon enough too. I don’t see the point anymore it all seems so stupid, repetitive, with the only payoff being hey but you can take a couple years off before you die. Maybe it’s better to just die young and never worry about retirement at all.
Solowolfpack
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Quoth » Wed Dec 12, 2018 3:35 am

You don’t like your job so you’ve decided to become reaper
I don’t know, seems a bit drastic...

justonemoreperson wrote:Both of those options you've listed limit you to a way of life that follows what others have done. Take a step back and think about what you really want / like and work from there.
^ no disagreement with this. It’s obviously the best strategy under the circumstances.

Other thing I’d ask is what are the other areas of your life like? (the non digital aspects of it). How’s your social life, relationships, hobbies, sports etc.
If work is the only significant thing you do in a day then life is going to be pretty miserable no matter what you do.
as if in a broken jug for one backwards moment
water might keep its shape

https://youtu.be/VivuMRzQyw0
Quoth
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Eight » Wed Dec 12, 2018 4:00 am

Quoth wrote:You don’t like your job so you’ve decided to become reaper
I don’t know, seems a bit drastic...

:lol:

If work is the only significant thing you do in a day then life is going to be pretty miserable no matter what you do.

Yes, and if you give up the thing that occupies you the most, and have nothing to replace it with, you're going to find yourself at a whole new level of boredom and without the money to do anything about that.
Eight
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:06 pm

Postby Gauss » Wed Dec 12, 2018 7:28 am

The OP here is far to figurative to have any position one way or the other but writing everything off as the same is unrealistic

what is it you do for work and what about it do you dislike so much?
Gauss
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Solowolfpack » Wed Dec 12, 2018 9:59 am

This is more about the big picture of the whole thing, not so much a certain job or a certain part of life. It’s more about sacrificing a lifestyle you would like to live that would ultimately be destructive in favor of one you hate but are forcing yourself to live for monitory reasosns. Which are making less and less sense as life goes on.
Solowolfpack
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Solowolfpack » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:20 am

I think some people can be perfectly happy living this sort of life the enjoy being married watching their kids grown up etc. Some people are not.

For instance I struggled in every aspect of my early adult life, especially financially and had legal problems that didn’t help. I always envisioned climbing out of that hole to become successful, It’s not what I envisioned but I’m ok. I just don’t think I was born to live like this. I joke about feeling like I should have died in combat or a hunting accident by now but there is a lot of truth to that. I don’t fit in society I don’t think I ever will, I’ve outlived my usefulness and I’m just supposed to wait around age and turn to a bed ridden colostomy bag wearing sack of $#%^? That seems drastic to me.

I’m a little surprised on a ASPD forum that nobody else feels this way.
Solowolfpack
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Reaper » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:23 am

Solowolfpack wrote:How do you view your life, your path within society, are you happy with the way things are and how do you choose to live?

I'm not entirely happy with the way my life is at the moment, but I'm not really unhappy with it either. I get to wake up when I want, go to bed when I want and do whatever I want during the day (within my financial limits of course).

The one thing I never wanted to be was stuck in some boring ass job, working for someone who controls what I do. I'm not a slave and I certainly don't need a slavemaster. I like my freedom.

A job may offer certain incentives, but I don't care that I'm getting less money than someone who's working full time. I'm still managing to live a comfortable lifestyle.

The only thing that's really dragging me down at the moment is my health, and unfortunately, that's only going to get worse with age. But I'm not that worried about it. I'm tough.
Sometimes I wish I could set the world on fire just to watch it all burn down.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:06 am

Postby Reaper » Wed Dec 12, 2018 10:36 am

Solowolfpack wrote:I just don’t think I was born to live like this. I joke about feeling like I should have died in combat or a hunting accident by now but there is a lot of truth to that.

I've been in a lot of situations in life that could have killed me too, but I'm glad I didn't die in them and I don't believe I should have. I'm surprised I'm still alive though.

Live fast, die young is a saying I've always liked, but I think it's a fool's saying. It's fun being reckless, but I appreciate that I'm still alive because there's still so much more to learn, and do, and enjoy, and I want to experience it all, even when I'm old.

I don’t fit in society I don’t think I ever will

Join the club.

We'll always be the outsiders, and that's okay with me for the most part. Though, it does make me angry sometimes. It makes me angry at the world.
Sometimes I wish I could set the world on fire just to watch it all burn down.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Jan 17, 2019 11:06 am

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post