Our partner

Taking a Closer Look At Behavior

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Taking a Closer Look At Behavior

Postby Jonna » Sun Dec 02, 2018 10:50 pm

Are innate characteristics the origin of your behavior here and in life or is your behavior the result of choices you make based upon values you choose to possess (and the characteristics just an afteraffect)?

The question is convoluted as ###$ so let me give some context. Jomp posed this question to me recently:

It occurs to me that you might see in her a type of behaviour you see in yourself that you don't like and are projecting your despising of that characteristic in yourself onto her?
post2195987.html#p2195987

Jomp’s question falsely assumes that behaviors in social settings are driven by innate characteristics. Taking Reaper out of the equation but leaving behind the behaviors I’ve trolled the ###$ out of her for, Jomp would apparently classify behaviors like taking government handouts, pretending to be something that you’re not and similar stuff as being driven primarily by characteristics. Likewise, if you’re not acting out these behaviors, then either you don’t have the innate characteristic to begin with or you’re suppressing the innate characteristic through various psychological mechanisms (so goes the projection defense).

I am calling BS on Jomp. If somebody depends upon the government welfare system, if somebody spends over a decade on an ASPD forum pretending to be somebody they’re not, its not because innate characteristics compelled them to make those choices. It’s because those are the choices they and they alone made from one day to the next based upon the values they chose to possess (probably due to the way they see the world around them). From my perspective there’s no innate characteristic of dependency driving dependent behavior. Anybody of sound mind can choose to behave in much the same way that a lazy, fat ass, welfare recipient does. Likewise, the welfare recipient could wake up tomorrow and choose to go out and hustle in the real world. Since these type of behaviors are not the result of innate characteristics but the product of value-driven choices, the whole generic projection defence theory as articulated by Jomp is a pile of $#%^ in my honest opinion.

What say you. When you engage in behavior labelled as disordered or otherwise, is that because you are just the sheeple to some innate characteristics playing itself out through an illusion of choice or are you willfully choosing to act that way based upon on values you chose -- perhaps due to the fact you see the world in a certain light?
Jonna
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Mar 22, 2019 12:50 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Taking a Closer Look At Behavior

Postby vcrpamphlet » Sun Dec 02, 2018 11:24 pm

Jonna wrote:What say you. When you engage in behavior labelled as disordered or otherwise, is that because you are just the sheeple to some innate characteristics playing itself out through an illusion of choice or are you willfully choosing to act that way based upon on values you chose -- perhaps due to the fact you see the world in a certain light?

Translation: “Is disorderly behaviour subconcious according to your personality, or concious according to your chosen values?”

Your head is a mess. But it’s good to see something useful, instead of whatever it is you’ve been doing with Reaper.

For me, I chose the values that I live by through the trial and error of what felt right for my personality and circumstance.
vcrpamphlet
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:50 pm

Postby vcrpamphlet » Mon Dec 03, 2018 5:49 am

William F*ckspeare wrote:concious

* conscious
vcrpamphlet
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Squaredonutwheels » Mon Dec 03, 2018 6:42 am

JOMP bought it up earlier in the "going against the grain" thread.

Here is another interpretation.

Depending on how one has learned to attach or be intimate, we interact and seek out those who will reciprocate.

Some people have learned to define each other through combative opposition. I suppose exposing each other flaws or clawing at one another layers is a way of being intimate and seen by someone who also is similar.

To exist in a vacuum is nearly impossible.

In a way, I suspect OP picks Reaper because she communicates the similar language of opposing validation. People who need someone to fight and not be defeated; actually want someone that they won't get crushed and disappear. Due to Reapers imperviousness, she presents the ideal target/validator. In this way; while she presents herself as a target, she simultaneously becomes the master-as she is the one who they oppose-the deliverer of lashes and an undying corpse that can't be fully killed (as to die means to be abandoned). The cycle of love continues.

Who said those f*cked up don't love. It's just "differently". They just can't seem to let each other go, drawing closer to each other, trying to discover each other, trying to expose one anothers nakedness, trying to be on top, trying to get under one anothers skin, trying to impregnate each others minds. If this isn't some kind of violent forum love obsession, what other title deserves the label.
Squaredonutwheels
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby justonemoreperson » Mon Dec 03, 2018 7:53 am

@OP

It was a suggestion and a reasonable one. There seems to be an obsessive nature to you, which is demonstrated again with the creation of this thread to discuss one possibly suggestion.

I believe that if you want to see how something behaves then you stick it in a beaker and add some heat, so some of my comments and suggestions are designed to do that.

I don't care about your impression of Reaper, I make up my own mind, but I am interested in your obsession with her. Even this thread, where you've tried to talk about your own motivation, quickly became another character assassination.

So, let me ask a simpler question: Why do you do it?
I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:50 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby vcrpamphlet » Mon Dec 03, 2018 8:01 am

Squaredonutwheels wrote:Who said those f*cked up don't love. It's just "differently". They just can't seem to let each other go, drawing closer to each other, trying to discover each other, trying to expose one anothers nakedness, trying to be on top, trying to get under one anothers skin, trying to impregnate each others minds. If this isn't some kind of violent forum love obsession, what other title deserves the label.

I can relate to this experience, in a way. I mentioned before this fairly Single White Female-esque team leader that used to work on the same floor as me, when I’d started working at a big Telco back in the day. The one who, when I hadn’t returned something like 50 hostile texts, updated her facebook status with (something like): “Think you know how to play the game?? Wait till you see THIS BITCH PLAY THE GAME!!!1” and then after a few years had passed, there she shows up in Melbourne and eventually becomes besties with my ex girlfriend. The thing is, she used to send texts with a similar kind of self-warping half reality about our “connection” and that she “knew I was playing games with her” and all kinds of other b*llshit. Her reflective-to-feeling-ignored sabotage attempts were rather something; again I may have mentioned it somewhere, but when I was up for some minor leadership pathway, she took advantage of the centre manager being away for the day, and fashioned together her own feedback that included the lovely appendage of my not making the cut. The admin lady with her didn’t know was going on when I just said yeah well naa sorry, fairly sure [purple shirt wearing centre manager] said just two days ago...so on and so forth, b*tch face’s face turned radish, then later that day purple shirt spent the time it took to finish a bowl of brown rice and tuna apologising for the f*ck up.

I’m guilty as anyone of creating my own realities and living under what should be a fairly obvous delusion. World is a seriously uncompromising son-of-a-bitch. Anyone who reckons they’ve got sanity figured out - that they’re not deluding themselves into feeling comfortable in a world that’ll keep moving perfectly fine without them after they’re dead - are probably smarter than I am. The delusions that I live by have little to do with life after death, or the connections that I seek - love is its own delusion of course, but it’s shared by enough to be more or less reliable - rather it’s denying the endless maze that substances put me in. Life’s a Lynch-like carnival as a 50+ quits user, where each quit involves temporary insomnia and psychosis, etc.

Nothing beats a good old washing machine for a front temporal lobe. Probably the best thing though is the rapid montage you get of everybody’s changing reactions as you come out of it, and go back into it. The weight-loss especially gets them. But then it’s like they never knew who you were before, you’re just a repugnant quick talker with bad mad professor hair and the vague scent of Mary Jane and liquor. It’s useful however in being a good way to refine and sophisticate the process of blindness wrt the opinions and projections of others - notwithstanding good reason and usefulness, of course. Approval seeking is surprisingly tasty when enacted in the context of how it looks - so many realities and delusions and redolances in the world, and far too many of us take it all a bit too seriously.
vcrpamphlet
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby easiersaidthandone » Mon Dec 03, 2018 11:59 am

What's up with these wall of china posts :D
I don't fake it, I just make it.
easiersaidthandone
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:50 am

Postby vcrpamphlet » Mon Dec 03, 2018 12:23 pm

It is a fair bit, even for me. Here, because I smoked weed earlier and SDW sometimes gets me thinkng; in the other thread, because I’ve never talked about that stuff before in writing, and I’m finding the exercise useful. :)
vcrpamphlet
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby naps » Mon Dec 03, 2018 2:48 pm

Oh come on.

It's glaringly obvious what's going on here. Jonna got herself into a corner on the Reaper thread and now is carrying her defense over to this thread under the guise of some half-baked analysis of behavior. She has (I'm assuming gender here for the sake of brevity although it may not be a stretch to assume that Jonna herself has gender identity issues being that her attacks on Reaper generally overlook that particular issue) also been rebuked by jomp a number of times on other threads. If you consider the timing it's easy to assume it's all related.

I am calling BS on Jomp. If somebody depends upon the government welfare system, if somebody spends over a decade on an ASPD forum pretending to be somebody they’re not, its not because innate characteristics compelled them to make those choices. It’s because those are the choices they and they alone made from one day to the next based upon the values they chose to possess (probably due to the way they see the world around them). From my perspective there’s no innate characteristic of dependency driving dependent behavior. Anybody of sound mind can choose to behave in much the same way that a lazy, fat ass, welfare recipient does. Likewise, the welfare recipient could wake up tomorrow and choose to go out and hustle in the real world. Since these type of behaviors are not the result of innate characteristics but the product of value-driven choices, the whole generic projection defence theory as articulated by Jomp is a pile of $#%^ in my honest opinion.

Look at the structure of this paragraph: It begins and ends with more jabs at Reaper and jomp. All of the central mumbo jumbo is padding in an attempt to disguise this. Notice how she drops her encyclopedia-esque stylings in favor of swear words and the same tired condemnations. This same dynamic can be applied to the whole post.

This isn't an examination of behavior versus values; it's a Charm's blow-pop coated tongue sticking itself out at jomp as the constant ambient hum of I hate Reaper I hate Reaper I hate Reaper reverberates in the background.

I'm sorry, Jonna. This is not so much an attack on your post (or you) as it is a wake-up call to the other posters who fell for it.

I used to work in this place with a guy named Jeff. I hated Jeff. Everything about him ran counter to my sensibilities, ideals and views of the world. I'm even having trouble restraining from going into a rant on what a total dork he was; the way he used to wear skull rings and Minor Threat t-shirts but played the flute and spent nights playing bridge with his aunt. He had arms like popsicle sticks and used to roll up his t-shirt sleeves whenever he unloaded the truck. This guy rubbed me the wrong way just by existing and I would seize any opportunity to insult or ridicule him to absolutely no effect. Everybody loved Jeff. Jeff could do no wrong. No matter how hard I tried, I couldn't take him down.

So thanks, Jonna, for helping me dig up and proudly display my empathy for you. It takes a lot of emotional energy to hate someone, and when no satisfaction is achieved by the expression of that hate, all that energy turns inward and against you. It's like being in a cage. So lets all give Jonna a big hug and offer her the opportunity to come clean and examine her problems with Reaper in a more supportive atmosphere. It's not like Anti-Reaperism is anything new here, so there's no shame in admitting it, dear Jonna. Get this out in the open and behind you so you can benefit from this forum in a more constructive manner and the rest of us can be spared the repetitive spam you've been regurgitating over and over in thread after thread.

I feel you, Jonna. It's OK. But it's your load, not ours. If you're willing to face yourself honestly and maybe bend ever so slightly to the transference of your self-loathing, we can maybe lessen that load a bit and I guarantee you'll feel a whole lot more at peace.

Love, naps
naps
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:50 am

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post