Our partner

Where does autism end, and psychopathy begin?

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Where does autism end, and psychopathy begin?

Postby vcrpamphlet » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:02 pm

Please educate me.
vcrpamphlet
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Jan 17, 2019 12:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Where does autism end, and psychopathy begin?

Postby justonemoreperson » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:06 pm

Conscience.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Jan 17, 2019 1:48 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby vcrpamphlet » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:08 pm

How does someone with autism interact with their conscience?

Is it like with a non?
vcrpamphlet
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby solemnlysworn » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:12 pm

People with autism don't weigh intention in moral reasoning. It's all outcome based. So no not like nons.

If I accidentally hit someone in the face, nons would be more lenient because it was an accident than if it were a purposeful act. People with autism will judge harshly because I punched somebody in the face.

Studies were done on this but I'm not digging them out
Hello friend
solemnlysworn
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby easiersaidthandone » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:12 pm

Autism isn't on a spectrum with psychopathy. They are quite opposite in fact.

Autists have low cognitive empathy and normal/high emotional empathy; whereas psychopaths have low/no emotional empathy and high cognitive empathy.

Basically Aspies are socially retarded because they lack social understanding(cognitive empathy) whereas psychopaths are emotionally retarded because they cannot relate emotionally(emotional empathy).
We live in a primitive time, neither savage nor wise. Half measures are the curse of it. Any rational society would either kill me or put me to some use.
easiersaidthandone
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby justonemoreperson » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:15 pm

vcrpamphlet wrote:How does someone with autism interact with their conscience?

Is it like with a non?

I was tested for autism as a child; there are a lot of similarities, especially at a young age. From what I was told then and from experience with a family member who is autistic, one of the key differences is that autistic people might have a failure to recognise normal human reaction etc, and this might lead to anti-social behaviours but, after the event, an autistic child will feel deep remorse, almost devastating.

To get to the point where autism is so strong that it doesn't recognise the effect of conscience, the autism will render the person almost incapable of human interaction.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby vcrpamphlet » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:17 pm

easiersaidthandone wrote:Autism isn't on a spectrum with psychopathy. They are quite opposite in fact.

Autists have low cognitive empathy and normal/high emotional empathy; whereas psychopaths have low/no emotional empathy and high cognitive empathy.

Basically Aspies are socially retarded because they lack social understanding(cognitive empathy) whereas psychopaths are emotionally retarded because they cannot relate emotionally(emotional empathy).

Alright, if you’re not feeling creative, let me help you:

If autism sits on a spectrum conflated with aspergers, then to what extent can various personality traits gain disorder potential?

I’d suspect the autism structure would be highly conducive to narcissism, for example.
vcrpamphlet
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby vcrpamphlet » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:27 pm

justonemoreperson wrote:
vcrpamphlet wrote:How does someone with autism interact with their conscience?

Is it like with a non?

I was tested for autism as a child; there are a lot of similarities, especially at a young age. From what I was told then and from experience with a family member who is autistic, one of the key differences is that autistic people might have a failure to recognise normal human reaction etc, and this might lead to anti-social behaviours but, after the event, an autistic child will feel deep remorse, almost devastating.

To get to the point where autism is so strong that it doesn't recognise the effect of conscience, the autism will render the person almost incapable of human interaction.

Could it be possible then for either of these scenarios to arise:

(1) An autistic person with enough situational luck or emotional distortion to render their conscience detached or abstract, allowing them to accept a psychopathy misdiagnosis, that then leads to them internally rationalising future emotional responses in some kind of weird psychopathic self-context.

(2) A psychopathic person, especially one with a lower IQ, existing outside of an ASPD-conducive evaluation culture, which leads them to be misdiagnosed as having a unique variety of narcissistic autism.
vcrpamphlet
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby justonemoreperson » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:34 pm

I have no idea.

There are many overlaps and most of them are based on development issues. It might be that psychopathy is some form of weird autism or Aspergers.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby vcrpamphlet » Sat Dec 01, 2018 8:39 pm

I’d say that’s a main contributor to the apparency of the condition on the whole, but malignant narcissism and even a well-seasoned sociopathic icehead can fit the same mold.

Between autism and the various structures of narcissism out there, there’s a chance that it’s a diagnostic fallacy.

-- Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:41 am --

Ergo, why it was absorbed into ASPD.

-- Sun Dec 02, 2018 7:45 am --

Forgot to add in support of that idea: Sam Vaknin, who identifies with and absolutely fits the criteria of malignant narcissism, who was shown to have a ‘psychopathic’ neurology under fMRI.
vcrpamphlet
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post