Our partner

Can A Psychopath Feel Guilt And Shame?

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Can A Psychopath Feel Guilt And Shame?

Postby Reaper » Fri Nov 30, 2018 3:36 pm

mysza wrote:I think we obviously can feel guilt or shame but it's voluntary.

To be clear, mysza's comment indicated that he is referring to real guilt and shame, not faked.

Research indicates that psychopaths don't experience guilt or shame (it's one of the things that truly separates psychopaths from the average person), so it doesn't make any sense why they would experience it (genuinely) voluntarily. What would be the point of that?

What are your thoughts on this.

If you're a psychopath, or suspect you're one, have you ever genuinely experienced guilt and shame?
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:22 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Can A Psychopath Feel Guilt And Shame?

Postby saucygirl31 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 5:40 pm

i've gotten more shameless and guiltless as i've gotten older.

not being around your parents really allows you to interpret emotions for yourself as opposed to being guilt tripped or shame tripped.

I do feel both emotions just to a far less degree based on my reactions and willingness to repeat actions.
saucygirl31
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:22 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Reaper » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:07 pm

I can't think of a single instance where I experienced guilt or shame. I don't know about shame, but I do know that guilt is associated with emotional empathy and that's something I lack (by 'lack' I mean rarely feel).

Anyone who lacks empathy is far less likely to experience guilt, so it's understandable why psychopaths don't experience it. I assume psychopaths lack shame because they don't have a moral conscience. Why would you feel shame when you don't see anything you do as wrong. You wouldn't.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Solowolfpack » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:09 pm

I don’t know about shame but from everything I’ve heard or read, guilt and remorse are pretty much null and void in psychopaths.
Solowolfpack
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:22 pm

Postby Reaper » Fri Nov 30, 2018 6:18 pm

Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby PsychoGenesis » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:34 pm

Reaper wrote:

To be clear, mysza's comment indicated that he is referring to real guilt and shame, not faked.

Research indicates that psychopaths don't experience guilt or shame (it's one of the things that truly

AFAIK feeling less is not synonym for not feeling, unless you're a bi-dimensional being living in a parallel world

can you back this with links(not another blogpost please)

that way everyone can see the methodology and decide for themselves that this claim you make EVERY fukin day is reasonable

lobotomised people don't count, ok?

Thanks.

''our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate
our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure''

rs1042778, rs4790904 homozygous ┬┴┬┴┤( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
PsychoGenesis
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:22 pm

Postby Reaper » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:38 am

PsychoGenesis wrote:
Reaper wrote:

Research indicates that psychopaths don't experience guilt or shame (it's one of the things that truly

AFAIK feeling less is not synonym for not feeling, unless you're a bi-dimensional being living in a parallel world

I said I've never experienced guilt and shame. That comment was based on what I can recall of my past. If I have experienced it at some point, I don't remember. I'm 45 years old and if I don't recall having experienced something by now, then the logical conclusion is that I likely never have. Could I be wrong? I don't know. I'm not denying the possibility, but I'm not going to say I have experienced something when, as far as I'm aware, I haven't.

can you back this with links

Lack of guilt (and remorse) is mentioned in the PCL-R. Lack means without or deficient in. The point of this thread is to determine what that really means in regard to guilt and shame. If it's possible that psychopaths can experience those things, then that's what I want to know. As far as I was aware, they don't experience guilt due to limited empathy and lack of a moral conscience. That's why I believe I don't experience it and I assume it's the same for others who are similar, but if I'm wrong, then I'm wrong. I'd like to know either way.

I read somewhere ages ago that psychopaths lack (the article gave the impression that lack meant 'don't experience or don't feel') guilt, remorse, shame, embarrassment and love. If I can find the article again, or a similar one with a valid source, I'll post it.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby PsychoGenesis » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:59 am

i hope you find it should be an interesting discussion for the forum

about that PCL-R quote it is contextual...
also because there's no way to measure sentiments
emotions maybe but not a sentiment, that i am 200% sure.

i know you know that because you seem very intelligent

edit: translation
''our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate
our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure''

rs1042778, rs4790904 homozygous ┬┴┬┴┤( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
PsychoGenesis
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Mar 23, 2019 9:22 pm

Postby Aeva117 » Wed Dec 05, 2018 1:48 am

I feel intense shame on a regular basis, but very rarely guilt. It's usually to do with somebody doing something generous for me as opposed to my having done something "bad". I don't know how much of it is inborn, I think it's almost entirely due to my upbringing. Lots of being hit for having emotions, told my dead mother would be disappointed in me, called a selfish bltch more times than I can count.
RAD kid turned PD-NOS adult (which doesn't exist anymore). Basically a mix-and-match.
Aeva117
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:22 pm

Postby justonemoreperson » Wed Dec 05, 2018 7:52 am

Aeva117 wrote:I feel intense shame on a regular basis, but very rarely guilt. It's usually to do with somebody doing something generous for me as opposed to my having done something "bad". I don't know how much of it is inborn, I think it's almost entirely due to my upbringing. Lots of being hit for having emotions, told my dead mother would be disappointed in me, called a selfish bltch more times than I can count.

I'm not sure what the real difference is between shame and guilt, only that guilt seems to be an internal process, built on conditioned values, whereas shame seems to be more focused on how you're perceived by others.

I'm guessing that if no one noticed you doing something "shameful" you'd not feel ashamed?

If you could provide some examples of the types of behaviour it might help.

Do you see yourself as entitled? What prompts these comments on your selfishness?
I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Mar 24, 2019 12:22 am

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post