Our partner

Is my therapists view on antisocial PD right?

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Is my therapists view on antisocial PD right?

Postby xdisconnectedx » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:13 pm

Hey,
today my therapist told me I definitely have a lot of the antisocial personality (she also suspects I'm narcissistic and that I have borderline PD). But she said there is one reason why I can't have this disorder. I don't care if I have it but what she said honestly confused me. She said people with antisocial personality disorder as well as sociopathy do ALWAYS have this trait that they're always searching for a way to consciously hurt other people, let them suffer and so on. But as far as I know that's simply not right. This isn't an official symptom and I read a lot about this disorder and I never read somthing like that. Since when is a sociopath only a sociopath if he consciously wants to hurt other people and score them off. I understand that it's easier for sociopaths to behave like that because they lack guilt. But since when is that an absolutely necessary must have for antisocial PD and sociopathy. This confused me and I think my therapist is actually wrong. Am I right or is she right?
xdisconnectedx
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:21 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Is my therapists view on antisocial PD right?

Postby mysza » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:23 pm

I don't especially like hurting other people, I don't think it's good, but as I remember, unfortunately, I hurt some of them, sometimes only because I had bad day; also I think (just think, I don't really want to accomplish this) that I would kill some people I don't like. However, I didn't tell this diagnostician because I thought he would stop liking me because of it. I think that it is not necessary that you want and would like to hurt other people to be antisocial.
mysza
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby easiersaidthandone » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:28 pm

xdisconnectedx wrote:do ALWAYS have this trait that they're always searching for a way to consciously hurt other people, let them suffer and so on.

That would be sadism. Antisocials more so hurt people as a byproduct of them being in the way of their goals or when it's useful, not so much as the end product. Of course, you can be both sadistic and antisocial. But no, your therapist is another misinformed twat.

Be glad she thinks that way. It's better not to be diagnosed with it.
I don't fake it, I just make it.
easiersaidthandone
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:21 am

Postby justonemoreperson » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:39 pm

xdisconnectedx wrote:Hey,
today my therapist told me I definitely have a lot of the antisocial personality (she also suspects I'm narcissistic and that I have borderline PD).

As well as being schizophrenic? That's a whole lot of stuff you have going on there.
I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby mysza » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:45 pm

It's better not to be diagnosed with it.

Why?
mysza
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby easiersaidthandone » Thu Nov 29, 2018 12:57 pm

mysza wrote:Why?

Can be used against you in a court of law.
I don't fake it, I just make it.
easiersaidthandone
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby xdisconnectedx » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:12 pm

Okay I'm glad that I was right. I really wondered how my therapist could say this $#%^... I just KNEW this information was wrong. What do I do now? Search for a new therapist?

@justonemoreperson
You don't even wanna know all of my diagnoses. I'm obsessive compulsive, I have depression, schizophrenic psychosis, drug addiction, and several personality disorders (for example paranoid PS). All those diagnoses were not only diagnosed by one single therapist or psychiatrist, but by many different over the time of many years and every single one of them supported all these diagnoses. I know I'm probably quite insane, but it's who I am and I can't change it. Without drugs I would have already killed myself, because I will never get healed of ALL these disorders. For example when the obsessive compulsive disorder gets better, the depression gets worse and so on. It's an endless trip through hell. The good thing is that my hallucinations and delusions are mostly under controle because of a neuroleptic I'm taking (risperidone, it really helps me with my schizophrenia).

Oh and I also have a very strong hypochondria, but that's not diagnosed because it's relatively "fresh". I became hypochondric just a few months ago because of a very hard overdose on amphetamine. This also activated unnormal fears and anxiety. I played too much around with drugs, it made things a lot worse. Except opiates/opioid, I couldn't live without them.
Last edited by xdisconnectedx on Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
xdisconnectedx
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby justonemoreperson » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:15 pm

It would seem to be irresponsible to tell someone with so many conditions that affect perception that they have a potentially criminal diagnosis, unless you're exhibiting criminal behaviour and you pose a risk to society.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby xdisconnectedx » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:16 pm

I guess you're right, I don't know anymore.
xdisconnectedx
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby justonemoreperson » Thu Nov 29, 2018 1:18 pm

xdisconnectedx wrote:I guess you're right, I don't know anymore.

I would suggest that you go to a doctor and discuss this, see if you can get a referral to a psychiatrist.

"Therapist" covers such a range of possibly qualifications that it could be doing more harm than good.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post