Our partner

My Friend is a High Functioning Psychopath

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

My Friend is a High Functioning Psychopath

Postby tirza » Thu Nov 29, 2018 8:12 am

Hi everyone..
I'm not a psychopath..but my friend is. And I definitely look up to him. I always wonder how psychopaths are in real life..
Are they like movie characters? Are they like the common stereotype?

This is an overall description about him..

He's 35 years old and has a successful small business.
He doesn't fit the psychopath stereotype we see in the media in terms of his evil actions..
Maybe he belongs to the high functioning category

His appearance
he's tall, well groomed, stylish & good looking
(patrick bateman comes to mind)

His manners
helpful
a good listener
problem solver
hard worker
good planner
very good at reading people

This is what he told me about his life..
since childhood he never knew what fear is. He can't feel fear at all. It's a foreign emotion to him. He doesn't feel it. Completely flat regarding fear.
Imagine a life with no phobias. No fear.

His mom noticed this and during his teenage years he enjoys activities that instill fear in others and even enjoy frightening people a lot to an extent that his mom insist to have him see a psychiatrist for tests.
The result came out that he's a psychopath.

Mom and him were distraught. Because psychopathy means crazy, evil, criminal etc.
His mom raised him to be a good person and good citizen.
And he's been doing good so far.

I highly admire him. He's got his life figured out very well. I often consult him if I need advice about people. he can read people like a book and his reading is always accurate.
tirza
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:25 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: My Friend is a High Functioning Psychopath

Postby Reaper » Thu Nov 29, 2018 9:25 am

tirza wrote:This is what he told me about his life..
since childhood he never knew what fear is. He can't feel fear at all. It's a foreign emotion to him. He doesn't feel it. Completely flat regarding fear.
Imagine a life with no phobias. No fear.

Somebody forgot to tell him that psychopaths can feel fear (they don't feel it as much as or as often as other people do). This claim that he's completely fearless tells me that he's probably spent his life living in a bubble.

Mom and him were distraught. Because psychopathy means crazy, evil, criminal etc.

He was distraught as well about that?

That's not how a psychopath would feel.

His mom raised him to be a good person and good citizen.
And he's been doing good so far.

He's trying to be a good person?

He's got his life figured out very well.

Doesn't everyone online? We're all rich, beautiful and succesful.

I have my life figured out too. I'm taking my Lamborghini for a spin tomorrow after brunch and having dinner at sunset on my yacht with a high ranking member of the government. I'd tell you who it is and why but that's classified information.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:25 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby mysza » Thu Nov 29, 2018 4:56 pm

I like helping others and selflesness because it simply pays off. Helping and various "prosocial" behaviors are simply rational from an egoist point of view. Communism is, from this point of view, very rational - the highest conceivable form of unselfish cooperation. Just because your friend is a psychopath doesn't really mean anything unusual about his behavior. People are not good or bad morally because of neurological features.
mysza
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Thu Mar 21, 2019 10:25 am

Postby PsychoGenesis » Thu Nov 29, 2018 11:44 pm

from the traits you provided its very unlikely

BUT the thing about being born lacking something is that you CAN'T quantify it, you gonna die without knowing if you don't give it proper thought, literally.

i'd bet money that 80% of criminal ''psychopaths'' have acquired it through other problems

That is why psychotherapy doesn't work and that's why you won't get any help on this forum...now if you have a better reason than ''fearlesness'' i'll be glad to help you in private.

Regards.
''our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate
our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure''

rs1042778, rs4790904 homozygous ┬┴┬┴┤( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
PsychoGenesis
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 21, 2019 6:25 am

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies