Our partner

ASPD is a behavioral diagnosis.

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

ASPD is a behavioral diagnosis.

Postby easiersaidthandone » Mon Nov 26, 2018 3:12 am

A diagnosis of Aspd does not explain why or how your antisocial behavior originated. Every personality disorder in the cluster b overlaps for the most part. All the cluster bs have potential co-morbidity with each other.

You can have ASPD because of your NPD. You can have it because you have BPD and are very emotional and hostile. Or you can have it because your personality is psychopathic in nature. And you can be histrionic and aspd. ASPD can also be co-morbid with things like bipolar, adhd, and even Autism. You can even have a little bit of everything.

The issue is people see aspd and psychopathy as the same. They're not the same construct. If we look at psychopathy then yes, a psychopath will not have npd, bpd, or hpd.

But psychopathy is only one reason why you might have ASPD, there can be many other reasons why you behave in an antisocial manner. Here's a chart showing the difference between psychopathy and aspd:

Image

Differential Diagnosis for ASPD:

Image

I'm putting this out there so people stop throwing around the whole you're this or that nonsense. You can be Aspd for many different reasons.
I don't fake it, I just make it.
User avatar
easiersaidthandone
Consumer 5
Consumer 5
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:25 pm
Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 11:38 am
Blog: View Blog (0)


ADVERTISEMENT

Re: ASPD is a behavioral diagnosis.

Postby saucygirl31 » Fri Nov 30, 2018 12:41 pm

why open up aspd up for grabs like this

its like reassuring people that they are scum, and most people are not

dont worry, we all can be scum together..

i dont think im aspd because i feel guilt and shame sometimes. its not strong enough to change my behavior, but its present, im pretty sure. its like feeling bad about something. just feels icky.
User avatar
saucygirl31
Consumer 5
Consumer 5
 
Posts: 120
Joined: Sat Sep 15, 2018 2:12 am
Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:38 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: ASPD is a behavioral diagnosis.

Postby mysza » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:07 pm

I think we obviously can feel guilt or shame but it's voluntary. For example when I hurt my close friend, I choose to feel guilt rather than rationalize that he asked for it or that someone else or objective conditions are responsible for my action. I could do both things, but I choose to feel guilty because I don't want to resemble people that I generally hate, like people who bullied me in my childhood. In a different situation in which I would have to face responsibility for someone's death or torture, I could apply psychopathic defenses and return to a normal life, for my friends and other close people who want to know me as a good person.
mysza
Consumer 2
Consumer 2
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2018 9:22 pm
Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:38 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: ASPD is a behavioral diagnosis.

Postby Reaper » Fri Nov 30, 2018 1:28 pm

easiersaidthandone wrote:The issue is people see aspd and psychopathy as the same. They're not the same construct.


Apparently, antisocial personality disorder in the DSM 5 covers psychopathy as well to some extent, that's assuming this study was done after all revisions were made that could affect the findings:

Characterizing psychopathy using DSM-5 personality traits.

Despite its importance historically and contemporarily, psychopathy is not recognized in the current Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders, Fourth Edition, Text Revised (DSM-IV-TR). Its closest counterpart, antisocial personality disorder, includes strong representation of behavioral deviance symptoms but weak representation of affective-interpersonal features considered central to psychopathy. The current study evaluated the extent to which psychopathy and its distinctive facets, indexed by the Triarchic Psychopathy Measure, can be assessed effectively using traits from the dimensional model of personality pathology developed for DSM-5, operationalized by the Personality Inventory for DSM-5 (PID-5). Results indicate that (a) facets of psychopathy entailing impulsive externalization and callous aggression are well-represented by traits from the PID-5 considered relevant to antisocial personality disorder, and (b) the boldness facet of psychopathy can be effectively captured using additional PID-5 traits. These findings provide evidence that the dimensional model of personality pathology embodied in the PID-5 provides effective trait-based coverage of psychopathy and its facets.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/23620353

If we look at psychopathy then yes, a psychopath will not have npd, bpd, or hpd.


From what I've read about it, that's not true.


mysza wrote:I think we obviously can feel guilt or shame but it's voluntary.


Who is 'we'?

I've never experienced guilt or shame. Not that I can recall anyway.
Sometimes I wish I could set the world on fire just to watch it all burn down.
User avatar
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 22639
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:34 pm
Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:38 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: ASPD is a behavioral diagnosis.

Postby PsychoGenesis » Fri Nov 30, 2018 8:37 pm

i dont get for a psychopath what would be the glory in being the perfect stereotype that some dumbass projected half a century ago


and reaffirming it everyother post really??
stop deceiving your self and those that still care about you


im feeling guilt and shame for you now
''our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate
our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure''


rs1042778, rs4790904 homozygous ┬┴┬┴┤( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
User avatar
PsychoGenesis
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:38 pm
Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:38 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: ASPD is a behavioral diagnosis.

Postby Reaper » Fri Nov 30, 2018 11:57 pm

PsychoGenesis wrote:i dont get for a psychopath what would be the glory in being the perfect stereotype that some dumbass projected half a century ago


I don't know about any perfect stereotype, but I do know there's no glory in being a psychopath. How could there be when psychopaths are more like cavemen and children than any kind of advanced step in human evolution that some idiots have tried claiming they are.
Last edited by Reaper on Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes I wish I could set the world on fire just to watch it all burn down.
User avatar
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 22639
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:34 pm
Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:38 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: ASPD is a behavioral diagnosis.

Postby PsychoGenesis » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:05 am

Reaper wrote:
PsychoGenesis wrote:i dont get for a psychopath what would be the glory in being the perfect stereotype that some dumbass projected half a century ago


I don't know about any perfect stereotype, but I do know there's no glory in being a psychopath. How could there be when psychopaths are more like cavemen and children than any kind of advanced step in human evolution.


yeah and your 50k posts bragging are just sarcasm :lol:





EDIT: sorry if im hurting your ego but you hurt mine too with all this nonsense
''our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate
our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure''


rs1042778, rs4790904 homozygous ┬┴┬┴┤( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
User avatar
PsychoGenesis
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:38 pm
Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:38 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: ASPD is a behavioral diagnosis.

Postby Reaper » Sat Dec 01, 2018 12:39 am

PsychoGenesis wrote:yeah and your 50k posts bragging are just sarcasm :lol:


Bragging about what exactly?

Am I bragging about the fact that I'm immature and childish and can't seem to change the things I want to change about myself? Or maybe I'm bragging about my inability to achieve anything long term and for that reason, will probably never experience the success others here claim to have. Or maybe everything else that's currently fuking up my life.

Yep, that's me, a glorified psychopath...

Ain't I cool.
Sometimes I wish I could set the world on fire just to watch it all burn down.
User avatar
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 22639
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:34 pm
Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:38 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: ASPD is a behavioral diagnosis.

Postby PsychoGenesis » Sat Dec 01, 2018 1:44 am

Reaper wrote:
PsychoGenesis wrote:yeah and your 50k posts bragging are just sarcasm :lol:


Bragging about what exactly?

Am I bragging about the fact that I'm immature and childish and can't seem to change the things I want to change about myself? Or maybe I'm bragging about my inability to achieve anything long term and for that reason, will probably never experience the success others here claim to have. Or maybe everything else that's currently fuking up my life.

Yep, that's me, a glorified psychopath...

Ain't I cool.

youre good at deflecting gotta give you that miss psycho

no feelings
''our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate
our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure''


rs1042778, rs4790904 homozygous ┬┴┬┴┤( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
User avatar
PsychoGenesis
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 326
Joined: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:38 pm
Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:38 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: ASPD is a behavioral diagnosis.

Postby Reaper » Sat Dec 01, 2018 2:01 am

I asked you to tell me what I'm supposedly bragging about. It's your claim, not mine.

I admit that I do brag at times but I'm pretty sure I'm not bragging about the things you think I'm bragging about or for the same reasons.
Sometimes I wish I could set the world on fire just to watch it all burn down.
User avatar
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 22639
Joined: Mon Dec 29, 2014 3:34 pm
Local time: Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:38 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum




  • Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 32 guests