Our partner

Creative Outlets

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Creative Outlets

Postby Poisonchocolate » Tue Nov 20, 2018 11:35 pm

Often those with AsPD are considered just by default to be boring and uninspired, not creating beautiful works of art or the like. I don't seen any evidence for this or any reason why this would be the case. Simple question here, do any of you have significant creative hobbies? Writers, artists, musicians?

Personally, one of my favorite hobbies is that of writing music. I know nothing about writing lyrics, so I write entirely classical music. I don't really think I'm all that good at it, but it definitely gives you a special feeling to create something, even something small, that you really feel is a good product.
Poisonchocolate
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:58 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Creative Outlets

Postby solemnlysworn » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:15 am

Hey

Most of my outlet has been through the piano and through painting but I don’t know if I’d call it a creative process. It’s more like a contemplative or introspective one, trying to capture a moment or a feeling and hold it and store it somewhere. It’s journaling for when I can’t find the words.

Where I might “create” is through food. I don’t tend to have the want anymore but there was a time where I’d make the process as close to an art form as I guess I could. My culinary style is a little bit odd. It’s very measured but and clean which doesn’t inspire an artistic image, but I like a clinical approach to it and working through the aesthetic alone. I wanted to attend culinary school full time for a while. I think I’m only in the mood to cook when other areas of my life have been met properly. I need to be in the right headspace and so it’s an extension of myself which is different to playing the piano where I tend to do that when I’m trying to indulge exploring it further.
Hello friend
solemnlysworn
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 22, 2019 8:58 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Reaper » Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:59 am

Is putting together model cars and motorcycles considered creative?

I've done woodworking too (not lately though). I suppose that's creative since I made things out of it - just traps and cages though, nothing fancy. I've written several dark poems and murder stories, so there's some creativity there I guess.

I don't think I'm imaginative enough to really be considered creative in general.
Reaper
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:58 pm

Postby Poisonchocolate » Wed Nov 21, 2018 2:38 am

I think the poems and stories can be an interesting creative way to put some thoughts into a nice package.

Maybe if I ever make some music that's passable I can share it here. Generally I try to write what reflects my own mind, so it may feel relatable to some people here. A little dissonant, though.
Poisonchocolate
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Mar 22, 2019 3:58 am

Postby PsychoGenesis » Wed Nov 21, 2018 10:22 pm

i like to do things that i believe are ''useful'' but then i get bored and go do something else

writing is something i always struggled in school and i think it's the best hobby one can have, writing a summary of something you've read synthesizing what is useful to you...i always get lost because i can't figure out which points i identify with :?
''our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate
our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure''

rs1042778, rs4790904 homozygous ┬┴┬┴┤( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
PsychoGenesis
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:58 am

Postby Squaredonutwheels » Thu Nov 22, 2018 1:15 am

I gave my hand at drawing and I don't have the eros behind it. I realized I'm primarily driven by the drivel of lust. If it's too far removed from that, I can't persist. I think that is why I idolize geniuses who are asexual or didn't slut themselves out like a leaky vessel like me.

The most artistic thing I do is tie up people.

I stopped for about a year due to various reasons but now I'm starting it again.
I'd post some work but pretty sure that is enough to get the ban hammer.
Squaredonutwheels
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:58 pm
Blog: View Blog (11)

Postby Quoth » Thu Nov 22, 2018 3:19 am

I imagine xcagedsilhouttex will have the best answer to this.

I had piano and guitar inflicted on me during school/sixth form but I was never much more than proficient. I could play and make a piece sound like it was supposed to but it was primarily a mechanical process with little soul behind it. My position on visual arts is similar, i can mimic well so that a drawing or sculpture looks like whatever it’s copied from but ultimately it is still a copy. In my experiance artistic endeavours are far more dependant of natural talent than their academic counterparts. Having seen enough people attempted them in high education and come unglued, it’s something you either have enough of or you don’t. I wish I had the gift for music but it was not to be.

Stories are something I used to be good at when I was a teenager in spite of my usual butchery of the English language. One of my comedic short stories won a minor award and a horror short story found its way into a lesser anthology. Then one of them got loose and did some damage and I was never really comfortable with it after that. Equally when compared to one of my friends who makes her living that way, my attempts look decidedly amateurish.

The only other creative things I do have a considerable natural flair for are design related which is a very different type of skill altogether. Im not going into these here partly because they don’t really relate to what’s being asked and partly because they belong to the more flamboyant side of my personality which I’m not 100% comfortable with.
as if in a broken jug for one backwards moment
water might keep its shape

https://youtu.be/VivuMRzQyw0
Quoth
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby justonemoreperson » Thu Nov 22, 2018 9:26 am

I play the guitar a bit. I never had the patience to have lessons, so I'm self-taught and go weeks and sometimes months between picking the thing up, so I'm average at best.

Quoth wrote:
The only other creative things I do have a considerable natural flair for are design related which is a very different type of skill altogether. Im not going into these here partly because they don’t really relate to what’s being asked and partly because they belong to the more flamboyant side of my personality which I’m not 100% comfortable with.

Darling, please...don't hold back your faaaaaabulous!
I'm not arguing; I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby PsychoGenesis » Thu Nov 22, 2018 10:47 am

yeah man design is not something you see everyday aside from these hippy artworks on the webz
''our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate
our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure''

rs1042778, rs4790904 homozygous ┬┴┬┴┤( ͡° ͜ʖ├┬┴┬┴
PsychoGenesis
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 22, 2019 5:58 am

Postby Quoth » Fri Nov 23, 2018 6:44 am

justonemoreperson wrote:Darling, please...don't hold back your faaaaaabulous!
I’d have made a magnificent f*ggot.

I did graphic design up to a-level when I still had the intention of becoming an engineer and did pretty well with one project being used as an example piece. I’ve always had a fairly good eye for what is aesthetically correct and what is not. I do or manage the graphics and style sheets for the site I currently staff/troll. Quite a few of the things around the house are my designs, for example the gate to my property was designed by me and made by a friend’s younger brother who went into blacksmithing. I enjoy uniqueness and the only way for a thing to be truly unique and mine, is for it to have been modified or designed by me. Also a surprisingly large number of my current and ex girlfriends ink were my creations. I probably also exert a more substantial influence over my girlfriend and friends personal stylings than perhaps I should.

The parts which I was hesitant about were where I’ve been involved in ventures with friends/family Though when I thought more about it, my role reminded me of this scene, I do the work but the presentation is where I shine. I’m somewhat ambiguous about this as while enjoy the process I hold it in considerable contempt. It’s all just affectation, a concerted effort to polish a turd. Another manifestation of societies inherent sickness that it chooses to allow itself to be exploited in this way rather than seeing what’s right in front of it.
as if in a broken jug for one backwards moment
water might keep its shape

https://youtu.be/VivuMRzQyw0
Quoth
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum