Our partner

Projection?

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Projection?

Postby Dandy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:42 am

Here goes, this is something I've been wondering for a while now. I don't know the psychological terms of how to describe this, well other than projection, though unless I'm way way off, there's an option for certain intentionality being involved. The kind that looks like you've got your hands up simultaneously working for different things and you're able to observe and certify it. But up next comes the denial, usually while observing the results of said multitasking.

I'd somehow consider this being a rather strong behaviour and processor over here.
It's also something that, unfortunately, currently is among my immediate relationships, which is why I'm now typing this.

However, I'd argue this being something not solely just flourishing from personality disorders. But there are other kinds of causes and effects to it, perhaps why marriages end in disputable differences.

Practical example being, person A and person B having an argument. A person B is claiming person A having figured out certain things and is now highlighting their superiority. But the fact is person A has never even brought up the things B is claiming. Objectively person A has been through a learning process and is continuously getting better on a personal level.
But A intending to be better than B isn't true, it's just a fact what B has observed being true. B can't put a blame on A for their own subjective thoughts, for being threatened by person A's improvement. They can't generally attach their own thoughts into A's character and personality. A distinction needs to be made.
Situation is like three concurrent parallel realities, a couple of them just have to go.

It can also be applied to something more static, like how people look. Seems like a little touchy subject over here. Surprisingly, lately a little less than in the past. See, you can't accuse pretty looking girls attention seeking. They got your attention? You've got to be able to make a distinction between yourself and others. Pretty girls don't actually possess mind controlling, dominating, tentacles do they. And you can't allow your subjective vision of other people influence you. You can't assign your subjective opinions in the DSM.

What boggles me is, to an extent people seem to have some awareness towards this. But still allow themselves be affected by this on a behavioural level. That's trouble.

This is the case of lack of self-awareness or a blatant attempt to manage and control people, or both. It's highly likely parallel realities offer less than what you'd get by just being genuine and real.

You've just got to listen to people, listening breeds trust, trust breeds respect and respect is required for love.
"One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes"

DX: BP2, PTSD
Dandy
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 12:42 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Projection?

Postby justonemoreperson » Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:37 am

When projection is usually discussed here, it's done in a very binary way. But the truth is that projection happens mostly subconsciously and is triggered by subtleties. If we don't like stuff in someone else, it's usually because we recognise traits in ourselves and we're getting to see them objectively without self-justification.

I find myself doing it with people here; sometimes I'll take a dislike to something a person has said, but when I revisit the reason, there's usually something there that resonates with me in some way. It's unlikely to be a direct correlation but it's there.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:42 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Dandy » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:33 am

justonemoreperson wrote:it's usually because we recognise traits in ourselves and we're getting to see them objectively without self-justification.

You see what you see, perhaps it's a correlation but what are the chances another person is actually behaving, thinking and performing things for the similar reasons you are. Quite diminished.

I'm just squeezed in the middle of saying something and the other person insisting they've got a better idea of why I said it, it actually was something trauma related, but their take on things is something malicious. They honestly couldn't be more wrong and in their mind the thing is now blended in my personality. I'd question the true source is them, but I guess it's possible, it's just me not liking to end up in anything very definitive. More interesting keeping the dialog open, but now it doesn't progress.

Does a projection require a true, solid foundation?
This is just something that can be observed on here as well. Like a limbo that can be tolerated for just a certain amount of time. It's unfortunate.
"One sees clearly only with the heart. Anything essential is invisible to the eyes"

Dandy
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby justonemoreperson » Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:46 am

Dandy wrote:
Does a projection require a true, solid foundation?

Quite the opposite. Projection happens when we think a person is doing something for a reason we imagine.

Theory of Mind relates to how we interpret another's intentions. You see someone yawning and you think, "When I yawn, I'm tired or bored, so that person must be tired or bored."

That works for most of our interactions but it can also give false positives.

For example, if we subconsciously know that we laugh a certain way when we're nervous, we'll assume that another person laughing that way is nervous, but it might just be their laugh.

When a person mis-judges our motives for doing something, it should tell us more about their psychology than just the fact they're wrong.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 9:42 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby saucygirl31 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 3:12 pm

justonemoreperson wrote:When a person mis-judges our motives for doing something, it should tell us more about their psychology than just the fact they're wrong.

one of the easiest ways into the mind of another.

another one would be creating a conflict of interest.

and obviously, finding triggers, nonverbal cues, befriend to get more info, ask specific questions, excetera
saucygirl31
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:42 am

Postby vcrpamphlet » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:02 pm

saucygirl31 wrote:
justonemoreperson wrote:When a person mis-judges our motives for doing something, it should tell us more about their psychology than just the fact they're wrong.

one of the easiest ways into the mind of another.

Indeed. For instance, quite possible the rather elaborate scenario in the OP isn’t fully comprehended by the narrator, and therefore, it’s the narrator doing some of the projecting.

But it’s risky as a significant data-point, gaining information this way, because that association will encourage you to test people to that effect. The issue being, when someone recognises their being tested, the test actually reverses on the tester, revealing much more about their own biases than whoever they’re studying.

Not sure if this thread is related or not, but it reminds me of a situation I had with another poster yesterday. I identified my own academic laziness in them some time ago, and through expressions of frustration towards them, I’m aiming to achieve three things: (1) to relieve some minor inner-tension by effectively yelling at myself; (2) to communicate genuine respect towards the other person, by housing it within a realistic mess; and (3) to influence something positive in someone else, because I enjoy doing so.
vcrpamphlet
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:42 pm

Postby saucygirl31 » Fri Nov 09, 2018 4:11 pm

vcrpamphlet wrote:The issue being, when someone recognises their being tested, the test actually reverses on the tester, revealing much more about their own biases than whoever they’re studying.

and it gets quite convoluted when you throw into the equation people acting how they think they should act in a certain scenario. are you testing their emotional empathy, or their cognitive? and yeah one is more "important" than the other

just gotta go w ur intuition..
saucygirl31
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 10:42 am

Postby Dandy » Sun Nov 11, 2018 2:13 pm

vcrpamphlet wrote:But it’s risky as a significant data-point, gaining information this way, because that association will encourage you to test people to that effect. The issue being, when someone recognises their being tested, the test actually reverses on the tester, revealing much more about their own biases than whoever they’re studying.

You are absolutely right.

It doesn't surprise me how little attention this topic has received.

Dandy
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby vcrpamphlet » Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:04 pm

The place is a veritable gas chamber of different projections so tangled frequencies are pretty normal. That element rarely gets talked about directly, so sprouts vary in their value.

I can’t really help recognising a psychopathic thought register, but being aware of things and reacting strategically doesn’t mean a lot. The kind of GoT drama that happens here, which threads like this play into, was interesting when I first joined and gossiped with Dulcet all day, but once you’ve been to rehab it’s about as intriguing as fresh milk in butter.
vcrpamphlet
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Nov 18, 2018 8:42 pm

Postby Dandy » Mon Nov 12, 2018 6:37 am

This place rather talks to, discuss about and diagnoses a flimsy, perforated troll than a real person.

Oh the Chinese whispers game, I've never participated in it.

Dandy
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post