Our partner

How are you with smells?

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

How are you with smells?

Postby chadthunderbong » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:09 pm

Title. Do you ever smell something, that you think other people wouldnt? Like if someone sat at your desk? Or if something is off with someones smell?

One time sitting next to this girl I knew in a car I noticed she smelled really heavy, also her skin looked like it was glowing so I asked if she was pregnant, I dont know if she knew then but she said no. Later heard she had an abortion.

I think on non-people smells I may be worse than everyone else, but Im fairly sure I can tell a mans smell from a womans smell better than most people.
chadthunderbong
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Wed Oct 17, 2018 8:00 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: How are you with smells?

Postby xcagedsilhouttex » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:11 pm

I am not sure if I smell things that others would not but I am certainly more sensitive to the way that others smell around me to the point of discomfort.
dx: Mixed Personality Disorder (F61)
Anorexia Nervosa (F50)
Substance Abuse (F11)
xcagedsilhouttex
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:00 am
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby chadthunderbong » Tue Oct 09, 2018 10:19 pm

Right? Thats what I tried to say not sure how well I said it, my english is quite rusty.

Are there any smells you like? I used to really like smelling my gfs pillow for example
chadthunderbong
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby 010001011010101001 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 12:30 am

I'm often the last to notice more subtle smells, if at all, which sometimes makes me paranoid about whether I might stink sometimes without noticing it, especially since I think it makes sense that you have or grow a tolerance to your own odours, e.g. we tend not to smell our own sh!t.
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby chadthunderbong » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:28 am

I heard researchers found psychopaths have an insensitivity to smells, but they dont really know why, and we dont know what smells they tested.

My higher sensitivity is just for human smells, and probably lower for everything else, so maybe they didnt look into that. Way I see it if theres an anomaly there, and we dont know why, it could go either way. Normal people dont sniff panties afterall.
chadthunderbong
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Re: How are you with smells

Postby Quoth » Wed Oct 10, 2018 1:46 am

I’m not good at distinguishing between different scents, for example I sometimes mistake the lemon detergent for mint essential oil or my girlfriend cooking quiche from the smell of furniture polish. It’s rather like the olfactory form of tone deafness. That said I can be quite finicky about the way I think people smell.

Psychopaths poor sense of smell was predicted by and discovered after PET/f-MRI studies showing reduced grey matter values in the dorsolateral prefrontal cortex, specifically brodmann area 11 which controls both complex emotional processing and olfaction.
as if in a broken jug for one backwards moment
water might keep its shape
Quoth
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby justonemoreperson » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:40 am

It's a difficult question to answer, as I don't know what others smell. I suspect that my sense of smell is not as sensitive to certain things, as I find it hard to differentiate many different foods. I find many foods bland and uninteresting and prefer foods with very strong tastes.

That said, I am quite sensitive to the smell of water, and can usually tell if I'm near a lake or river from the smell, when those I'm with cannot.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Squaredonutwheels » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:23 am

I've noticed that my sense of smell varies greatly depending on how hungry I am. If I haven't eaten in a few days, I can smell much better and smells interest me. I suspect this is normal to all people though so nothing interesting there.

I don't think panty sniffing is that unusual. I think it's pretty normal for me to want to bury my face in my partners arse every now and then.
Squaredonutwheels
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:00 pm

Postby Solowolfpack » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:29 am

Sense of smell for me is greater at times vs others. For instance I was on a carb free diet and walked by the bread isle at the supermarket and it was like they were baking the bread right in the store I couldn’t escape it. Normally I wouldn’t smell it at all. Smell heightened by basic needs/desires? Is that normal for everyone? I don’t know.
Solowolfpack
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:00 am

Postby Squaredonutwheels » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:34 am

Solowolfpack wrote:Sense of smell for me is greater at times vs others. For instance I was on a carb free diet and walked by the bread isle at the supermarket and it was like they were baking the bread right in the store I couldn’t escape it. Normally I wouldn’t smell it at all. Smell heightened by basic needs/desires? Is that normal for everyone? I don’t know.

I can relate to this. For work sometimes we only had nothing but meat to eat for a month straight before we went back to town. When we got there, I could smell the bakery before I saw it. Now that I'm bumming all day at home, I can't smell anything well and I don't even care what I eat so I just eat cheap. Just add a crap ton of chilli to make it tasty and I can eat visibly rotten things without much bother.
Squaredonutwheels
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:00 pm

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum