Our partner

Coping at Work/Holding Down a Job

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Coping at Work/Holding Down a Job

Postby Cerpyra » Thu Sep 27, 2018 5:38 pm

For those of you who are currently employed or have been employed for long periods in the past,

What coping strategies do/did you use at work for irritation, boredom, and general interaction with other humans?

I find most humans absolutely intolerable - I currently mask by acting in a way I perceive to be socially acceptable then taking small washroom breaks where possible to take some deep breaths and laugh to myself if needed. In the past, I have been what my superiors call insubordinate (though I perceived the situation as correcting their simple mistakes in a calm and objective manner, people don't like to be wrong) and I was let go.

I would like to keep my current job, it's easy and close to home. The downside is I'm bored quite easily and most of the demographic is elderly (therefore slow and sometimes ridiculously ignorant). I've occasionally resorted to gaslighting and psychological manipulation to stay amused, but realize this is unwise.

What would do in my situation? What have you done in your own workplaces that you would consider effective?
Cerpyra
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:38 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Coping at Work/Holding Down a Job

Postby solemnlysworn » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:03 pm

I have a performance based job. I do more and I earn more. When I get bored I go play ping pong or pool or flirt with whatever happens to be close at the time.

It’s changed recently so that there’s less fun because of regulatory procedures but it’s still okay because I can keep my eye on the prize. Would love it if it was deregulated and I could get away with more
Hello friend
solemnlysworn
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:38 am

Postby naps » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:15 pm

If your job is too easy or too boring it will turn your mind to mush.
naps
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:38 am

Postby justonemoreperson » Tue Oct 02, 2018 7:18 am

When I was working for someone else, I found it frustrating most of the time; constantly playing the corporate game is tiring. I'm not good at following instructions and processes. If it's not directly related to what I'm doing, I couldn't give a sh1t, so playing nice company games and going to team meetings was something I avoided.

I work well with others providing it's very short term, otherwise it all starts to crumble.

Working as a contractor means I don't have that hassle; being coin-operated means I just have to go, do the job, and then come home. Now, I only get invited to meetings where I have a direct involvement.

Day-to-day in my job, I'm either sat on my arse at home or I'm travelling, so it's mostly interesting.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Squaredonutwheels » Tue Oct 02, 2018 8:28 am

Hiding in the bathroom and laughing to yourself sounds weak. Maybe you got let go because you're not as good as you think. I've seen the most antisocial people stay because they are valuable not because they are likable. If you're really good enough, your associates will even cover for crimes.

You say you like the easy job but then complain that you're bored. Find another more challenging job then.
Antisocial does not equate to resentful weakness.

Not all jobs value social interactions. There is plenty work that can be done with very little social interaction. Some work even benefits from people with antisocial traits.

Jomps situation is ideal. Get paid good money to get in and out, see the world and have plenty of free time. If I were you, I'd be working towards something like that rather than getting all bottled up and taking it out on old people.
Squaredonutwheels
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:38 pm

Postby justonemoreperson » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:12 am

Squaredonutwheels wrote:Hiding in the bathroom and laughing to yourself sounds weak. Maybe you got let go because you're not as good as you think. I've seen the most antisocial people stay because they are valuable not because they are likable. If you're really good enough, your associates will even cover for crimes.

You say you like the easy job but then complain that you're bored. Find another more challenging job then.
Antisocial does not equate to resentful weakness.

Good point.

'Having a job' is a choice you make. If you consider the reason you got the job, then it probably revolves around you paying for somewhere to live, food, drink, transport; the ability to do stuff that you wish.

Acting like a twat in your work makes no sense; you're only working against yourself. Having some inner monologue that defines your relationship with the people you work with has no effect on them, it just makes you look self-destructive.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby FormallyZach31 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 9:17 am

weed and getting high
FormallyZach31
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby CopyCat27 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 10:07 am

I got mobbed in my previous job. Everyone turned against me and I didn't get along with anyone. Constant fights and confrontations. Hitting on the girls and general inappropriate behaviour. Even got threats from my upper manager who seriously hated my guts. It's not nice when everyone turns against you. Kinda hard to deal with.
CopyCat27
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:38 am

Postby Squaredonutwheels » Tue Oct 02, 2018 11:22 am

CopyCat27 wrote:I got mobbed in my previous job. Everyone turned against me and I didn't get along with anyone. Constant fights and confrontations. Hitting on the girls and general inappropriate behaviour. Even got threats from my upper manager who seriously hated my guts. It's not nice when everyone turns against you. Kinda hard to deal with.

It's statements like this that probably put a target on your arse to get turned out if you ever end up inside.
Squaredonutwheels
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby CopyCat27 » Tue Oct 02, 2018 2:58 pm

Squaredonutwheels wrote:
CopyCat27 wrote:I got mobbed in my previous job. Everyone turned against me and I didn't get along with anyone. Constant fights and confrontations. Hitting on the girls and general inappropriate behaviour. Even got threats from my upper manager who seriously hated my guts. It's not nice when everyone turns against you. Kinda hard to deal with.

It's statements like this that probably put a target on your arse to get turned out if you ever end up inside.

What so wrong with my statements? The fact that I don't get along with people?
CopyCat27
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Wed Oct 17, 2018 9:38 am

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post