Our partner

self harm + pain

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

self harm + pain

Postby FormallyZach31 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:34 am

Have you ever purposely harmed yourself? Like really harmed yourself and I don't mean scratch yourself with a razorblade just so you can post it on social media for attention.

I have hurt myself so many times for numerous reasons in my life mostly always to get something from it and most importantly because of the adrenaline high you get for it.

I remember in high school I tried getting a mate to break my wrist in a gym class just because I was bored and have done so much more stupid $#%^ to myself all for some reason or another but it has gotten to a point where I really crave that sort of high.. maybe it is because I am mostly sober now and just looking for any type of high now when bored..

anyway does anyone else get that way?
FormallyZach31
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:22 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: self harm + pain

Postby xSid » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:51 am

I can enjoy pain, but I don't normally harm myself on purpose, for the sake of pain. To me it's part of a whole situation, that is usually active, fast-paced and adrenaline fueled. The pain alone, without the whole situation making it more, relevant for lack of a better way to express it, I associate it more with anger than with enjoyment
xSid
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:22 am

Postby justonemoreperson » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:20 pm

Times when I've been hurt I've tended not to notice until afterwards.

As Zach said, pain can be exhilarating. The following day though, it's usually just annoying.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby ArchCannon » Sat Sep 15, 2018 8:57 pm

I do harm myself when I am especially numb, and craving to feel anything.
I used to harm myself when I was especially sad, to release the brain's 'happy chemicals'.

Amount of damage varies.
Why do you try?
There's no bandage for your mind
Why do you cry?
There's no honesty in life
ArchCannon
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Sep 21, 2018 3:22 am

Postby xcagedsilhouttex » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:27 pm

I haven't self-harmed in over a month but prior to that I had been doing it on and off since the age of thirteen.

Mainly cutting (on my legs so nobody could see it) and applying salt or antiseptic to make it burn, sometimes sewing into my skin, burning a couple of times and scratching until there were cuts and petechiae.

I mostly did it when I felt particularly empty or flat and when I ran out of my drug of choice.
dx: Mixed Personality Disorder (F61)
Anorexia Nervosa (F50)
Substance Abuse (F11)
xcagedsilhouttex
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby naps » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:46 pm

I've knocked 3 teeth out of my head (on separate occasions) as a way to stop acute anger. It works because when you injure/disfigure yourself you're like whoa, that's probably enough..

I used to bang my head into walls until I split the skin on my forehead open. It bleeds a LOT, which is oddly satisfying. I stopped doing that when I read that it's a good way to die in your sleep.
Be nice.
naps
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Sep 20, 2018 10:22 pm

Postby cutecactus » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:46 pm

naps wrote:I've knocked 3 teeth out of my head (on separate occasions) as a way to stop acute anger. It works because when you injure/disfigure yourself you're like whoa, that's probably enough..

Thanks, next time I feel like punching someone I guess I'll try cutting off an ear first.
◝(◕ ◡ ◕ )◜
cutecactus
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Sep 21, 2018 4:22 am

Postby Quoth » Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:02 am

Well there are a number of scars on my arms and upper torso created by myself and others with my consent, but most of those were created years ago in my late teens/early twenties with either sexual or ritualistic intent. Now usually politely referred to as ‘tiger stripes’ for whatever reason. As I got older and it was possible to liberate butterfly needles that proved a better way without the quite so obvious physical marks, which also had the upside of making other people more willing.

But no I’ve never been into self harm for it’s own sake. It can be exhilarating under the right circumstances but that’s highly situation dependent. I can often be indifferent about pain which probably isn’t great in terms of looking after my own health.

“Everything I have just said is nonsense. It bears no resemblance to the truth of the matter in any way at all. But it is a lie that you can ... understand, I think.”
Quoth
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby justonemoreperson » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:26 am

Quoth wrote:Now usually politely referred to as ‘tiger stripes’ for whatever reason.

I've heard women refer to their stretch marks as tiger stripes.

As I got older and it was possible to liberate butterfly needles that proved a better way without the quite so obvious physical marks, which also had the upside of making other people more willing.

Did you use these in the manner of acupuncture or as a cannula?
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Infinitesimal » Sun Sep 16, 2018 11:22 am

Put a hefty mound of table salt on your arm, then place a single normal size ice cube on top of it.

Compress it as hard as possible until ice has melted.

Lemme know how that works for you
BTC: 1NmB4yxEUPfwVWskCSMigdHPy9i4kCtZDY
LTC: LXbB7U4XpXBx2FCuyYfoXdhUrr6Das3DaC
ETH:0xD170607D7Ac442Da67Be15753D2abda-
4247b6283
XRP: rDsbeomae4FXwgQTJp9Rs64Qg9vDiTCdBv - Destination Tag 96854920
Infinitesimal
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Sep 20, 2018 9:22 pm

Next