Our partner

Family Creating the Sociopath

Antisocial Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: seabreezeblue

Forum rules
Attention Please. You are entering the ASPD forum. Please read this carefully.

Given the unique propensities of those who are faced with the issues of ASPD, topics at times may be uncomfortable for non ASPD readers. Discussions related to violent urges are permitted here, within the context of deeper understanding of the commonalties shared by members. Indulging these urges is not what regular users here are attempting to do.

Conversations here can be triggering for those who have suffered abuse or violent encounters. Respectful questioning is welcome from non ASPD members.

For those who have no respect for either this illness or for those who are living with it, please do not enter this forum. Discrimination of Personality Disorders is not tolerated on this site.

Moderators are present here to ensure that members treat each other with dignity and respect. If topics become overly graphic or drift from having a healthy perspective, moderators will intervene.
Please feel free to contact a moderator if you have any questions or concerns.

Best Regards,
The Team

Family Creating the Sociopath

Postby CopyCat27 » Fri Sep 14, 2018 4:04 pm

I want to hear some of your stories if you don't mind sharing them. Anyone certain their sociopathic tendencies can be traced to how they were raised or neglected by caretakers or family at large? Oftentimes sociopathy is caused by an adverse family environment lacking in love or care.
I don't mean to blame my family in my case but I can objectively see the link between how I was treated in childhood and how I turned out.

In my case, I had schizophrenic and sociopathic mother who used to have sex with strangers in front of me. They say early sexualisation can lead to sociopathic tendencies. I think this mainly influenced my lack of love for women and seeing sex as an act devoid of emotions.

She had a beef with her parents and tried to burn down their house. Even remember her when I was 5 as she cussed her mother out on the phone. So basically, violence and sexuality in front if a 5 year old is not a good recipe. She even used to sleep around with this doctor. Made me take naked pictures of her once as she painted her body in rainbow colours. I gotta give her points for creativity hehe! She then sent the doctor those pictures and after they fell apart she put a brick through his clinic door and we ran away. It was like a war zone rather than a childhood.

My father and his family on the other hand also had a very negative impact. Being very narcissistic, they were consistent liars and gaslighters. My father was especially cold and dismissive. He smashed my head with the trunk of a car once just because he was angry. When I was 5, he threw me on the ground, kicked me in the ass and called me a son of a whore (probably in reference to my how mother). Neither him not my mother ever wanted me and it was especially clear from my father's side. He saw me as some kind of unnecessary chore at best. He had no sense of my need for emotions, care or any form of autonomy. In his mind I ought to be thankful just being kept alive even if it was in servitude and abuse. His family were responsible for my messed up childhood and probably himself also. My mother, though not being a saint, was literally driven mad by their abuse. You can look up narcissistic abuse if you are curious.

Being raised so poorly, I turned out very messed up in the head as one would imagine. I used to push kids on barbed wire for fun and do the same with cats. I would snap turtles necks for fun, not realising I even did anything particularly wrong.

You would think my family would take me to a psychologist. But no, even having my right ear cut off by my mother was not enough to move anyone to step in. It seemed like I was failed all the way through. Wasn't a surprise I was up to no good by the age of 16. Turned to theft. Used to steal iPods and Hard drives and sell them on the internet. I used to make bootleg alcohol in a country that prohibits it's use by teenagers. Broke into schools on numerous occasions and slept with illegal hookers many times already by the age of 17. It seemed like my life was filled with bad decisions and I could never understand why I wasn't good like everyone else.

Luckily, I'm a relatively conscientious person. So I never did anything too incriminating. By my antisocial personality, that's something I always struggled to hide. After 18, I isolated myself for many years. Started acting out again by the age of 24. Getting violent with people, threatening murder, stalking an ex cause she didn't want to talk to me. It seemed like things would always go out of control no matter how hard I tried.
CopyCat27
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:42 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Family Creating the Sociopath

Postby FormallyZach31 » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:45 am

CopyCat27 wrote:I want to hear some of your stories if you don't mind sharing them. Anyone certain their sociopathic tendencies can be traced to how they were raised or neglected by caretakers or family at large?

I wont give any credit to who I am because of who raised me. I am who I am and maybe I would have been different if I didn't have such abusive parents and was constantly humiliated but maybe I would be the exact same as I am now.. how can anyone truly know something like this?
FormallyZach31
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Sep 21, 2018 12:42 pm

Postby justonemoreperson » Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:12 pm

I was brought up by stable, middle-class parents.

The only thing that caused real issues was my behaviour.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Sep 21, 2018 1:42 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby ArchCannon » Sat Sep 15, 2018 9:28 pm

Whelp, my father's highly narcissistic. He appeared and disappeared in and out of my life irregularly. I was the black sheep whilst my older sister was the golden child.
She basically was a daughter they were dreaming of and waiting for. I was an unwanted 'accident' she got all the funds, support, care and attention, and there wasn't much left for me.
To my father I was an extension of himself, not a separate human being.
My mother was present at home most of the time, but absent mentally and emotionally, having her head up her own ass.
I got all the bad sides of my parents. Mental, sexual, physical, emotional abuse, humiliation.
My parents almost never fought in my sister's presence. But they paid no mind to whether or not I'm there when they do it.
And afterwards my father would let his frustration out on me.

But nowadays the more I look in the past, the more signs of mental abnormalities I notice. So it's not likely to all be blamed on faulty nurturing.

Because torturing and killing animals, getting into frequent fights (not only fistfights), selling drugs and burglaries, all before 16, looking at this my mind has probably not been healthy from birth.
Why do you try?
There's no bandage for your mind
Why do you cry?
There's no honesty in life
ArchCannon
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Sep 21, 2018 2:42 am

Postby Eight » Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:12 pm

justonemoreperson wrote:I was brought up by stable, middle-class parents.
The only thing that caused real issues was my behaviour.

Do you have siblings, jomp? If so, what were/are they like?

Do you know anything about your birth parents that might account, in some way, for genetic AsPD?
Eight
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:42 pm

Postby justonemoreperson » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:51 am

Eight wrote:

Do you know anything about your birth parents that might account, in some way, for genetic AsPD?

I have one brother that I put in hospital multiple times. I've not seen him since my parents died.

My birth parents are unremarkable. I suspect that my mother is similar to me, but I have no way of telling for sure.

I don't have any contact with them any longer.
I'm not arguing, I'm explaining why I'm right.
justonemoreperson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby CopyCat27 » Sun Sep 16, 2018 1:06 pm

justonemoreperson wrote:
Eight wrote:

I have one brother that I put in hospital multiple times. I've not seen him since my parents died.

My birth parents are unremarkable. I suspect that my mother is similar to me, but I have no way of telling for sure.

CopyCat27
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Sep 21, 2018 5:42 am

Postby jabberwocky » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:33 pm

CopyCat27 wrote:
justonemoreperson wrote:
Eight wrote:

You're living up to your name. Good work. :)
"Beware of people who are always bragging about who they are...a lion will never need to to tell you it's a lion"
- African Proverb
jabberwocky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Sep 20, 2018 5:42 pm

Postby Quoth » Sun Sep 16, 2018 6:48 pm

He keeps doing that. Is there a point?

“Everything I have just said is nonsense. It bears no resemblance to the truth of the matter in any way at all. But it is a lie that you can ... understand, I think.”
Quoth
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Poisonchocolate » Sun Sep 16, 2018 7:09 pm

My family is perfect. My mother's death in high school was probably too late to matter.
Poisonchocolate
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:42 pm

Next

Return to Antisocial Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post